The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Lurking On The H.A.M.B. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89073)

Shadetree 11-15-2012 10:43 PM

Lurking On The H.A.M.B.

I have been lurking over on the HAMB and there are some great threads and like this site, a lot of talent. Last evening I watched as the young man replicated a `32 radiator shell and was amazed at his ability.

The site is so fast moving that it is difficult to find a thread you just read the day before.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=714847

3738 11-16-2012 12:13 AM

Re: Lurking On The H.A.M.B.

That is more metal working skill than I'll ever acquire....

expavr 11-16-2012 12:26 AM

McPherson College and its restoration program was shown on TV Sunday night. One segment of the program showed this young man and his radiator shell. the workmanship was absolutely amazing...!!! I'm a newbie on the HAMB site and have had the same problem tracking interesting threads.

Bassman/NZ 11-16-2012 01:30 AM

You have to bookmark them.

Randy in ca 11-16-2012 01:40 AM

The HAMB is set up with the same format as the Fordbarn. If you come across a thread that you want to be able to find easily later, all you need to do is to "Subscribe" to it. While in the thread click on "Thread Tools" on the red bar, then click on "subscribe to this thread". There is even an option where you can opt to have an email sent to you whenever a new post has been made to the thread. To access any threads that you have subscribed to, click on "Quick Links" on the black bar and then on "Subscribed threads" and a list of all the threads you have saved in this manner will come up. The HAMB is crazy busy and a good thread can be just about impossible to find again unless you use this feature.

Bruce Lancaster 11-16-2012 12:38 PM

The HAMB population contains astounding expertise in every area of welding, tin hammering, fabrication, and mechanical history, and if you find something really strange and post a picture, it will be identified before you can blink...even if it something made in France in 1923.
HAMB has a LOT more volume than here so you need to learn to cruise past the lightweight people and threads and find your way to the good stuff.
It may well be a picture of the future of flatheads and Model a and B's, too...there are a LOT of young rodders on there seeking out ancient technology.

FlatheadTed 11-16-2012 12:55 PM

Some people may not like hot rods but this is how the hobby will survive .Very talented .

jerseyboy 11-16-2012 01:32 PM

The HAMB, besides the Barn, is my favorite site on the web!:D:D:D

Once you learn how to subscribe and create your own file system, you may forget to check for new threads!

Keep V-8ing and 4-banging!

Mart 11-16-2012 02:46 PM

My bookmark for the hamb actually takes me to my subscribed threads. Once I've scanned through them I click on the hamb forum proper and see what's new. The hamb is a great site, and so is the Barn.

Mart.

rotorwrench 11-16-2012 05:12 PM

Ryan started the site long enough ago that there is an unreal amount of information. So much so that it's like the Smithsonian Institution and the Library of Congress. You probably won't ever see it all but when you need some info it will likely be on there somewhere or someone around that can still point you in the right direction. It's invaluable for standard stuff and the obscure stuff too.

Now that the Ford Barn is in a similar format, it will eventually amass a large amount of usefull information as well.

B-O-B 11-16-2012 07:20 PM

If you miss subscribing or just want if on a subject use the search this forum same as the ford barn has. Works on looking for a part also.

millersgarage 11-17-2012 08:38 AM

The HAMB moves FAST!
I spend most of my time there, but really like the info I find on the Barn too.

I think it's funny when I google search something, usually the first few link are something from the Barn or HAMB.

Ralph Moore 11-17-2012 11:48 AM

There was a guy on the HAMB recently that restored a crushed in roof(don't remember year of car), but I would have considered it hopeless, and this guy made it look good as new.
I've had my eye on a 42-48 coupe body in a junk yard near me, but the pass side roof was crushed in by a forklift right at the rain gutter above the B pillar, about two feet!. It would be a major undertaking, but this guy shows it's possible to fix with a lot of time and talent.

dumb person 11-17-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralph Moore (Post 535824)
There was a guy on the HAMB recently that restored a crushed in roof(don't remember year of car), but I would have considered it hopeless, and this guy made it look good as new.
I've had my eye on a 42-48 coupe body in a junk yard near me, but the pass side roof was crushed in by a forklift right at the rain gutter above the B pillar, about two feet!. It would be a major undertaking, but this guy shows it's possible to fix with a lot of time and talent.

Repair the structure & padded vinyl top can hide a lot of creases/dents.

flatjack9 11-17-2012 03:43 PM

You're kidding, of course.

rotorwrench 11-17-2012 04:05 PM

It may have been the 40 Willys. They are so rare now that several guys that do the metal forming have made forms for many parts of the body shells in order to restore them. They are valuable enough now that it is definitely worth the effort. So many of those old Willys coupes ended up on the drag strip that there are few good examples left.