The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Late V8 (1954+) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Finally running after 50 years (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295254)

ChadCurrent 03-03-2021 01:05 PM

Finally running after 50 years

I have been busy but finally had time to get it running.

Thanks again for the parts that were given to me.

https://youtube.com/shorts/qHOJLEAFIfM

Need suggestions on what to use to connect my edelbrock carburetor to the bellcrank as I can't seem to find anything local.

I tried using an old throttle rod but it was too short and would get stuck.

Any suggestions? If you have links I'd appreciate it, I'm horrible at searching for things I'm not used to working on.

Ford56 03-03-2021 06:41 PM

Re: Finally running after 50 years

Sounds and looks great.

Gene F 03-03-2021 06:57 PM

You have the most important part of that throttle aparatus. The little ball studs are avaialble at Snyders. Part number a-9743. The rods...can't help ya with that one. Try that wrecking yard in AZ that advertizes in HMN. Or try Hills Restorations in Racine , Ohio.

Gene F 03-03-2021 06:58 PM

I think there are 2 springs on that thing too. Macs, or Concourse Parts

miker98038 03-03-2021 08:32 PM

Lookin good. Glad to see the progress. Someone on here (likely K) will have the exploded diagram for the linkage. From that you'll get a part number. Many years ago I replaced the teapot on my 55 manual trans car with a 1406 Edelbrock. I don't remember the specifics, but if got a pile of old throttle pieces, bellcrank, heim joints, etc. I probably used whatever was handy out of that box.

If you're using the large hole at the top, there's a bushing/washer for it. Might find it at a parts store, or the Edelbrock site.

scicala 03-03-2021 09:20 PM

Don't use the large hole with a bushing at the top of the carb throttle lever. That will make it require more travel to get to wide open throttle than the factory carb had. There should be a smaller hole below the large hole. It should be easy to bend some rod stock that is the same size as the holes in the factory lever and the carb throttle lever. Then use two factory style clips to hold the rod on.
There won't be a factory linkage rod the correct length if you change carburetor styles.

Sal

55blacktie 03-03-2021 09:27 PM

Although I expect criticism, you could eliminate the complex throttle assembly and use a Lokar pedal and cable.

dmsfrr 03-03-2021 10:32 PM

ChadCurrent,
Does the car have a Manual or Automatic transmission?

scicala 03-04-2021 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmsfrr (Post 1992030)
ChadCurrent,
Does the car have a Manual or Automatic transmission?

In the video it looked like a Fordomatic bell crank, but no rod attached going to the trans.

Sal

ChadCurrent 03-04-2021 07:57 PM

Borg warner t10 4 speed

ChadCurrent 03-04-2021 08:09 PM

It's a pain around here as no one has piles of parts lying around so I have to hunt down ideas online and try to make sense of it and try to buy the parts. I am pretty sure I can make something work. I found a universal throttle rod at classic auto industry's I might be able to trim down and bend something that will work.

I had no idea what a lokar pedal and cable was. I might investigate it some. Possibly in the future I'd like to find a 57 intake and 57 tbird carburetor, a distributor with the tach drive and a mechanical tach to get a little closer to the original year but I'm gonna have to wait until this covid stuff ends and swap meets return.

paul2748 03-04-2021 08:36 PM

Get some small rod ends and thread some rod the length you need

paul2748 03-04-2021 08:43 PM

Get some small rod ends and thread some rod the length you need. That is what I did on my 54 Ford (312 with toploader)

Maybe look for some standard shift linkage off a Bird?

KULTULZ 03-05-2021 01:11 AM

Quote:

Possibly in the future I'd like to find a 57 intake and 57 tbird carburetor ...

I think you described the build details in a previous post. What year BIRD and what year engine?

Read This - https://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/...kage/index.php

JeffB2 03-06-2021 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChadCurrent (Post 1992419)
It's a pain around here as no one has piles of parts lying around so I have to hunt down ideas online and try to make sense of it and try to buy the parts. I am pretty sure I can make something work. I found a universal throttle rod at classic auto industry's I might be able to trim down and bend something that will work.

I had no idea what a lokar pedal and cable was. I might investigate it some. Possibly in the future I'd like to find a 57 intake and 57 tbird carburetor, a distributor with the tach drive and a mechanical tach to get a little closer to the original year but I'm gonna have to wait until this covid stuff ends and swap meets return.

https://lokar.com/throt-cable-kickdowns.html

ChadCurrent 03-09-2021 07:08 PM

It's a 56 tbird, I have no idea what year the engine is? Just a 292 and a free old intake manifold my uncle gave me.

55blacktie 03-09-2021 07:55 PM

Chad, I purchased the Lokar pedal for my 55 T-bird. I'm keeping the 292 but converting to a C4 transmission. I will use the Lokar throttle and kickdown cables as well. I have a Holley 1850 Street Avenger 570 carburetor on a 57 "B" manifold. Lokar has 2 pedals. I chose the one that most resembles the stock pedal. It did require cutting a hole in the firewall, about 3/4" above where the floor meets the firewall. I used a 2" cut-off wheel to make the hole. You can look at the pedal choices and installation instructions on Lokar's website. If you go this route, don't discard your original bellcrank assembly (or any OEM parts for that matter).

miker98038 03-09-2021 10:27 PM

I used one of these Lokar units. 2 bolts thru firewall, 1 above for the cable. Part of my reason is the floor pan was so rough under the original throttle pedal. T-5, so no other linkage or kickdown switch necessary.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Lokar...ber,64528.html

KULTULZ 03-10-2021 03:37 AM

Quote:

If you go this route, don't discard your original bellcrank assembly (or any OEM parts for that matter).
AMEN! to that ...

scicala 03-10-2021 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChadCurrent (Post 1994324)
It's a 56 tbird, I have no idea what year the engine is? Just a 292 and a free old intake manifold my uncle gave me.

The intake in the video appears to be ECZ-A, which is an original manifold for '56 Ford, T-Bird and Mercury with the small base 4 barrel carb. (292 & 312).

Sal