The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Turn signals, brake lights, and running lights. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166562)

roblesterjr04 04-16-2015 10:30 AM

Turn signals, brake lights, and running lights.

Ok, so i have seen the tail lights with the amber lens, for turn indicators, but if its amber, where would your stop/brake light be? Brake lights are traditionally red, not amber, so clearly you're moving the brake lamp somewhere else, and i thought the lower red light is not as bright or not wired to be the brake light. Where is the brake light supposed to be then? My impression of the tail lamp with amber lens is that the amber is turn signal, the red is running light, but where would the brake light be?

31Tudor 04-16-2015 10:47 AM

Re: Turn signals, brake lights, and running lights.

The teacup lamp, once introduced had the amber lamp as the stop light. The small red light is the taillight running light. Those that use that lamp for signals are running it through the wiring so the amber lamp is the brake light (as it was regularly) and then having it flash for the signal. That is why some go to the all red lense as everyone does not associate the amber lense as a stop light.

roblesterjr04 04-16-2015 10:49 AM

Got it, so originally it was ok for the amber light to be the brake light. I think on modern roads other drivers won't get that, so i'll probably be better off using all red lights.

MikeK 04-16-2015 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roblesterjr04 (Post 1070071)
Got it, so originally it was ok for the amber light to be the brake light. I think on modern roads other drivers won't get that, so i'll probably be better off using all red lights.

Thinking just a little outside the resto box here, if you want to maintain the original amber glass look you can use either a red coated glass bulb or a red led assembly behind the amber glass. The amber glass is completely transparent to red light. Traffic will see red, not amber when on.
http://www.scooterwest.com/file/000/...jpg?1332377912

Tom Wesenberg 04-16-2015 12:18 PM

I was behind a modern foreign vehicle a week ago, and it's brake lights were amber.
First time I've seen that since the Model A.

Goldhardt 04-16-2015 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 1070132)
I was behind a modern foreign vehicle a week ago, and it's brake lights were amber.
First time I've seen that since the Model A.

Hey Tom, that's really strange. Do you remember what type of vehicle it was? Here in Ohio, it is illegal to have anything except red brake lights.

roblesterjr04 04-16-2015 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeK (Post 1070088)
Thinking just a little outside the resto box here, if you want to maintain the original amber glass look you can use either a red coated glass bulb or a red led assembly behind the amber glass. The amber glass is completely transparent to red light. Traffic will see red, not amber when on.
http://www.scooterwest.com/file/000/...jpg?1332377912

I'll probably do it that way, thanks!

In Pennsylvania as long as its original, it is legal. They don't care much when its an antique either.

Tom Wesenberg 04-16-2015 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldhardt (Post 1070149)
Hey Tom, that's really strange. Do you remember what type of vehicle it was? Here in Ohio, it is illegal to have anything except red brake lights.

I don't know what the make was, but seem to recall it was one of the Japanese models.

The lenses were clear, so it might have been that the owner just installed the wrong color bulbs.

roblesterjr04 04-16-2015 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 1070160)
I don't know what the make was, but seem to recall it was one of the Japanese models.

Could have been a DIY brake light fix and the idiot crossed the wires. I see that all the time with careless kids that get too close to a toolbox.

But i'm only 29, so I guess I can't talk like that yet.

Goldhardt 04-16-2015 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roblesterjr04 (Post 1070153)
I'll probably do it that way, thanks!

In Pennsylvania as long as its original, it is legal. They don't care much when its an antique either.

I know what you're saying. I don't know of anyone that has been pulled over driving their "A", no matter what kind of lights were on it. I actually had one of our local police officers clock me with his radar to help me verify my speedometer.

Patrick L. 04-16-2015 03:49 PM

I think red is probably mandatory today in most if not all states.

When I was rear ended last year, I switched to LEDs and all red lenses. Those lens just don't look right.

imacrazy 04-16-2015 04:11 PM

I put a double contact socket on top with both contacts wired together for the amber turn light, (very bright). Then I used the bottom double socket with the bright for the brake light and the less bright for my driving light. Worked very well.

Bill

Brianfrench65 04-16-2015 05:19 PM

Please excuse me for jumping in, but has anybody had any experience with the "logo kites" kit from Snyders, A-13402 $199.95 / set. Mounts between bumper rails, and super bright (so I am told) ?

Red for the rear, amber for the front.

Just looks like a perfect rectrofit solution.

Patrick L. 04-16-2015 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianfrench65 (Post 1070281)
Please excuse me for jumping in, but has anybody had any experience with the "logo kites" kit from Snyders, A-13402 $199.95 / set. Mounts between bumper rails, and super bright (so I am told) ?

Red for the rear, amber for the front.

Just looks like a perfect rectrofit solution.

Quite a few folks here use them.
I just prefer to use what lights came on the vehicle.

MikeK 04-16-2015 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianfrench65 (Post 1070281)
. . . Just looks like a perfect rectrofit solution.

"Rectrofit" is a good description of how logolites appear to me. :p

CarlG 04-16-2015 05:49 PM

The Logo Lights that I have seen installed on friend's cars just don't cut it. They are small & barely legible. They are located where one does not usually look for signal lights.

Most of the guys in our club have gone to a different style of LED lights.

Brianfrench65 04-16-2015 06:01 PM

Thank you for the information. Does not sound like the "logo lites " are a viable solution. I'm glad I asked, before I wasted my money.

Thank you all for your input.

Evan Lewis 04-17-2015 01:02 AM

LOGO-LITES are great" I strongly recommend them!

Evan Lewis

Patrick L. 04-17-2015 06:47 AM

Geeez, I didn't catch the rectro-fit. I like that, appropriate.

Allanw 04-17-2015 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlG (Post 1070296)
They are located where one does not usually look for signal lights.

If a driver can't see them BEFORE they're on, they'll probably not see them come on!

Obvious lights are the most effective.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7588/...88ea51fe_c.jpg
The same is on the other side :eek:
:D