The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Brake linings (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278905)

daren007 04-03-2020 09:58 PM

Brake linings

What are your thoughts on arcing woven brake linings.

CWPASADENA 04-03-2020 10:53 PM

Re: Brake linings

You need to arc all linings. You need full contact for the brakes to work correctly

Chris. W.

johnbuckley 04-04-2020 04:10 AM

Do a search on this forum ... you'll find the full range of views swinging from "Absolutely Essential" to "Absolutely Unnecessary" !! :) (and ditto re woven lining too!)

David R. 04-04-2020 04:47 AM

It only stands to reason that full contact would give better braking. When you pull off old shoes that are worn to rivets on one end and like new on other you understand the need for centering as well.

springerpete 04-04-2020 06:08 AM

I just went thru a complete job on my brakes but had no luck at all getting the shoes (woven) arched. I went to many places, many mechanics old and older but had no luck. They had all heard of it but could not do it. My search included Model A shops and others. I guess my shoes are OK because my brakes are now very good. ' Are Model A shoes/linings you can buy new from the many suppliers we have available, arched pretty closely to the curve of drums ? Are we talking thousandths here or something a lot less. Just curious. Thanks for your opinions. Bill in Maine

daren007 04-04-2020 07:34 AM

I fully understand why the arcing. When I look at woven linings all I can think of shredding ie pieces flying everywhere.

updraught 04-04-2020 07:43 AM

Put the shoes with linings inside the drum and see if they contact all around. If they do your good to go, and if they don't you'll either need to arch them or wait till they wear till they contact all around. That could be no time at all, or years.

wmws 04-04-2020 08:10 AM

Do as updraught said. Use a feeler gauge and see if you can slip it in anywhere. If you can file or sand down the high spots until the feeler gauge won't go in any more. Not rocket science. Easy to do.

daren007 04-04-2020 08:32 AM

Has anyone actually arced woven linings?

wmws 04-04-2020 08:47 AM

Yes I did mine with a file. Or sand paper will work. A hand held grinder might be a little aggressive.

jb-ob 04-04-2020 08:56 AM

Daren,

The short answer is, Yes arching was always done to match drum brake shoes to a freshly tuned brake drum.

Years ago the practice of arching was out lawed by the Feds. from fear of air pollution from grinding brake shoes & the resulting toxic dust.

You can 'hamster' fit brake shoes by using sticky backed sandpaper inside the brake drum to flatten high spots.

The real talent on this subject would be Randy Gross.

best, jb

redmodelt 04-04-2020 09:00 AM

Yes do it all the time. We use a disk grinder with a disk like would be used in a table saw with vacuum attachment. I also have an AMMCO but it's not set up.

daren007 04-04-2020 09:03 AM

Thanks for the answer. My local machine shop is set up for arcing shoes so I am good to go.

Art Newland 04-04-2020 07:05 PM

Arcing is half the battle, they need centered also to get full contact.

Patrick L. 04-04-2020 07:13 PM

Sand paper inside the drum and then sanding the shoes to fit works quite well. But, as said, thats half the job. Making sure they are centered and making full contact is the other half.

shew01 04-04-2020 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb-ob (Post 1869905)
You can 'hamster' fit brake shoes by using sticky backed sandpaper inside the brake drum to flatten high spots.

I don’t understand. What is hamster fit? Can you elaborate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roxo 04-04-2020 07:28 PM

I understand the arcing of the brake shoes as there is plenty of info on here. What I don't know is how you go about centering the shoes. I bought a centering tool from Mikes https://www.mikes-afordable.com/mm5/...a4&Screen=SRCH
how do you adjust the shoes to center if needed?

larrys40 04-04-2020 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by springerpete (Post 1869865)
I just went thru a complete job on my brakes but had no luck at all getting the shoes (woven) arched. I went to many places, many mechanics old and older but had no luck. They had all heard of it but could not do it. My search included Model A shops and others. I guess my shoes are OK because my brakes are now very good. ' Are Model A shoes/linings you can buy new from the many suppliers we have available, arched pretty closely to the curve of drums ? Are we talking thousandths here or something a lot less. Just curious. Thanks for your opinions. Bill in Maine

Pete/Darin ,
Arcing the shoes to drums is part of my standard procedure for comprehensive brake jobs I do. I only do them for the brake jobs I’m doing. It does make a difference along with centering and Proper track restoration. It along with proper centering of the shoes along with proper system restoration is what will give you great brakes weather they are woven or molded/bonded linings.

I’m surprised you can’t find someone in the Model A or v8 circles up your way that can do it. My machine is part of my cache of equipment for doing a proper brake job. I’ve done many A brakes and when I gave the seminar at Dearborn last year on brakes noted that it is an important step.
You might ask Jeff at Brattons if he know’s of anyone up northeast that can do them.
Larry Shepard

updraught 04-08-2020 07:58 AM

"The other method takes more time, but does the same job! With the brake shoes on the car, put masking tape around the diameter of both brake shoes. Now slip the drum in place and put the axel nut on. Spin the drum. Now remove the drum and examine the tape. The tape will be worn off where you have high spots on the lining. Grind down the high spots until you can assemble the drum and not have any drag from the lining. You may end up putting the drum on and off several times, but that is the only way of do-ing the job."

https://www.oneillvintageford.co.uk/acatalog/A-1126.pdf

daren007 04-08-2020 09:32 AM

My local machine shop can arc my brake shoes. Thanks everyone.