The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Looking for exhaust port layout drawing (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275694)

Ziggster 01-20-2020 08:54 PM

Looking for exhaust port layout drawing

I'm looking for a drawing of the exhaust port layout so I can fab up a plate for my engine stand. I've searched but I couldn't find anything on the net. If you have one, or if you could point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.

JSeery 01-20-2020 08:56 PM

Re: Looking for exhaust port layout drawing

4 Attachment(s)
I would think an exhaust gasket as a pattern would be the way to go, that is what I did when I fabricated one. (brain short circuit, this will not work with a flathead, individual gaskets!). Another way to go about it is use some light card stock type of material and do an impression directly off the block. You just need the outside four bolt holes. Some examples (not mine).

tubman 01-20-2020 09:47 PM

Who makes flathead exhaust gaskets that are one piece per side? I have only seen the individual port kind.

Tinker 01-20-2020 10:25 PM

Take some grease and put a slight amount around the area (or spray WD40). Press the gasket/template material up to it. Boom... template.

Works the same with some paper taped to the spot and a dirty finger rubbing over the area. Like a art "rubbing'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubbing

***You're probably looking for a waterjet ready eps/dwg/vector. Not sure on a link, I could make one, no block not used for me***

RalphM 01-20-2020 10:39 PM

I just used an exhaust manifold for the pattern. Of course you must reverse it, unless you’re using it on the other side :)

cas3 01-20-2020 11:27 PM

exhaust manifold and transfer punches.

Ziggster 01-21-2020 03:38 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. The problem I have is that I don't have a manifold, and the gaskets I have are the individual ones for each port. I have the engine, but it is all wrapped in plastic which I don't really want to remove just yet as I still need to clean up my workshop which is a total mess.

JSeery 01-21-2020 08:28 AM

To answer your original question, I don't know of any pattern that is available. It is too easy to make one. Might get someone with a head or block to make you one.

You could go ahead and get the manifolds you intend to use?

JSeery 01-21-2020 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 1843727)
Who makes flathead exhaust gaskets that are one piece per side? I have only seen the individual port kind.

ya, slipping into my OHV thinking!

Ziggster 01-21-2020 08:51 AM

My machinist had a block. I’ll see if i can arrange to have access so I can trace out a pattern.

JSeery 01-21-2020 08:54 AM

It is fairly easy and quick to hold some poster board type of paper up to the block and just use your finger to press around the bolt holes. Just make sure the paper stays put and doesn't move.

RalphM 01-21-2020 09:15 AM

Or, screw four studs in the outer ports and lay the poster board on them, slight tap with a hammer and viola!

Mart 01-21-2020 09:24 AM

Make all the holes bigger than 7/16" so the adaptor can fit both sides. 1/2" is ok.

corvette8n 01-21-2020 09:52 AM

Got mine from Stumpy
https://www.stumpysfabworks.com/stor..._Products.html
Scroll down to flathead.
It's 4 below zero and I have a flathead mounted on mine in a portable garage, otherwise I'd make a cardboard tracing of mine and sent it to you. Maybe if your still looking I do it in the spring. Pm me if your interested.

Fordestes 01-21-2020 10:33 AM

I take some grade 5 bolts cut the thread part off , grind the flat cut off end to a point , screw the bolt ends in the block put some tool makers ink, magic marker ,momma's cake coloring etc. on the ground pointed ends protruding from the block, grabbed a 1x4 and a mallet tapped the board against the pointed studs then drill the 1x4 as a template and transfer punch a 1/2'' plate for the block mounting flange , I take a 2'' piece of cold rolled cut to 45 degrees weld to the 1/2'' plate to fit my engine stand head. I keep a selection of different pointed bolts used to transfer bolt patterns ,I also set some threaded cut off bolts up in a lathe then drill through the center and use as a starting guide for center drilling bolts that are broken off below the surface such as head bolts.

Tim Ayers 01-21-2020 11:40 AM

What's your mailing address?

I'll just trace my angle adapter and mail it to you.

frnkeore 01-21-2020 03:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the Ford drawing. A little hard to read with this upload but, the center distance is 7.812 or 15.624, end to end. 1.437 or 2.874 on the flange holes, set at 30 deg.

johndee138 01-21-2020 03:44 PM

You want a tracing off of my Stumpy mount, or a header? I could do that for you.

JSeery 01-21-2020 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frnkeore (Post 1843947)
This is the Ford drawing. A little hard to read with this upload but, the center distance is 7.812 or 15.624, end to end. 1.437 or 2.874 on the flange holes, set at 30 deg.

That should do it! Good post.

Ziggster 01-21-2020 04:39 PM

Excellent. Thanks guys. Between the drawing and my gaskets, I should figure it out. Trust me, if I lived in the USA, I would have just purchased one, but with the exchange rate, taxes, and brokerage fees, it gets spendy fast. I'll post up pics when I'm done, hopefully in the next week.