The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Evans waterless coolant (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=192725)

27lizzie 03-29-2016 11:49 AM

Evans waterless coolant

now that I have had the rad cleaned out and the heater core rebuilt the engine rebuilt and before I fill it with coolant, has anyone used the Evans waterless coolant. Is it what they clam it is, is it worth the cost. Opinions please Marlon

ford38v8 03-29-2016 01:15 PM

Re: Evans waterless coolant

It's been said that there is no coolant that cools better than straight water. That said, a corrosion inhibitor is required, and depending on weather conditions, antifreeze can be helpful. Beyond that, the value of coolant replacements or additives is questionable.

petehoovie 03-29-2016 01:19 PM

Jay Leno likes it > https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Evans+wate...ai=t7PykrgzWPQ

sidevalve8ba 03-29-2016 02:14 PM

Is it something like propylene gylcol?

Floyd 03-29-2016 02:30 PM

If you have a museum and the cars will never be run, then you can use it or better still leave them empty. The lack of water will reduce the long term corrosion from water. However ,as 38V8 says, nothing has the heat capacity of good old water.
Yes the stuff is a blend of propylene glycol. If you have a museum with 50 cars that may be driven rarely then maybe it would be OK. For that their is a small risk of the overheating from the lack of water cooling property.
If you have one or a few cars and you drive them, just use a good antifreeze mixed 50-50 or 60-40 in the cold country.
Don't overthink it.
Just my opinion

Fordors 03-29-2016 02:40 PM

Jay Leno might endorse it, but does he use it? The trouble with it is being waterless should you burst a water hose on a trip you can't top off the cooling system with plain water. They make claims too like "...raises the boiling point to over 375°", but so what? Do you think your engine will ever get to any temp like that? And if it did how will the heads and/or gaskets like it?
In a warm weather area where antifreeze might not be needed then I'd say straight water and a corrosion inhibitor as mentioned by ford38v8.

tubman 03-29-2016 03:32 PM

There are several threads on the H.A.M.B. about this, and they were enough to convince me that it's not even worth trying. It is also quite expensive. The most important thing though, is it's incompatibility with traditional coolants and water. This could lead to problems on the road, and requires more than a simple flush and fill to install.

rheltzel 03-29-2016 03:33 PM

All Evans does is raise the boiling point. If your engine is in otherwise good running order, but boils over with water, there's something wrong (e.g., cracked block or head, ignition timing way off, blown head gasket, clogged radiator). In such circumstances, Evans would mask the problem and likely lead to long term damage. But that's just my opinion .

35cab 03-29-2016 04:15 PM

I have had a few people (Ch*vy owners) tell me that as I have a flathead, this stuff would be ideal.
I cannot get through to them that they are talking rubbish. So what, you can remove the radiator cap when the engine is hot! Yes they are right it has a much higher boiling point but as pointed out, the coolant may not be boiling but your engine will be cooking.
This stuff just hides it, by the time you find out you are in big trouble.
I am no expert thermodynamics, etc, just trying to be logical and I cannot see how this stuff is anything more than (expensive) snake oil.
I have been known to be wrong so always happy to be humbled and corrected by any of you guys, but not by Ch*vy owners :-)

deuce lover 03-29-2016 04:29 PM

I used it initially in my former 36 coupe with a built 59AB.Personally not worth the cost ($35 gal) .Carried a spare gallon just in case.Dumped it all out and went 50-50 coolant and 7lb cap did just fine.

27lizzie 03-29-2016 06:02 PM

Thanks for all the comments, after reading what everyone has to say I think I will stay with a good quality anti-freeze 60-40 mix with a additive ether water wetter or purple ice. Marlon

Floyd 03-29-2016 06:15 PM

I think that is a great summary.
That's what I do.
Just an opinion

Yoyodyne 03-29-2016 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidevalve8ba (Post 1267195)
Is it something like propylene gylcol?

I think it is, they claim it isn't. PG boils at 370°F, costs a lot less than $35/gal. at Kmart.

27lizzie 03-29-2016 09:47 PM

One of the reasons I posed the question was because of the cost, up here in Canada it is $68.00 a gallon. and when your filling up a 50 ford cooling system your looking at about 4 1/2 gallons Marlon

32 ford barn 03-29-2016 11:05 PM

I used it for a number of years. the only real plus is there is no corrosion. Everything else seemed to be the same as using coolant except. The one thing I hated is the smell. Any over flow or spillage or draining is like coolant multiplies 50 times. You can't mix anything with it. I went back to conventional coolants.