The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   So much for Irish Spring and Dryer Sheets..... (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276229)

cas3 03-08-2020 03:37 PM

Re: So much for Irish Spring and Dryer Sheets.....

beautiful day here on the frozen plains, so i woke up my pickup from hibernation. last fall i put Irish spring chunks in the cab, and left a little piece in the box on the floor. today, all gone and box is full of turds. little bastards!

tubman 03-08-2020 05:46 PM

Unfortunately, that's been my experience as well. On to the next solution.

BTW, the ultra-sonic devices don't work either (at least not in Minnesota).

kevinanderson 03-08-2020 09:42 PM

Or nebraska

mike42 03-09-2020 06:32 AM

LOL...I would never have thought this post would be so popular and get so much attention. Funny as hell, but it is a problem for sure !

Mike

Bob/Pa 03-09-2020 08:20 AM

WOW..I have been using mothballs for 20 years and no problems.

TJ 03-09-2020 08:27 AM

A Jack Russell Terrier is the answer. No mice or rats in the garage or the garden shed. Mine makes the squirrels scatter too.

Tinker 03-09-2020 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob/Pa (Post 1860150)
WOW..I have been using mothballs for 20 years and no problems.

Mothballs contain naphthalene. Not great to inhale, but not totally bad either. Recommended to not use them in the house. Sheds etc better then most stuff. If consumed it is poison. But they are designed to repeal, better then dryer sheets or soap.. So don't eat them or breath them too much.

I know bacon is bad, I'll do that sometimes too. Only hurting me. :)

Bob/Pa 03-10-2020 07:18 AM

Tinker is right, use only in shed, Years ago they ate wiring in my tractor so went to mothballs and since no problems.

cas3 03-10-2020 10:44 AM

while viewing the cars in the museum in murdo sd. i noticed a half chewed up box of mothballs on the floor in one car. mice get really hungry out on the plains

Tinker 03-10-2020 07:35 PM

Mice can breed year-round with one female able to produce five to 10 litters per year. With an average of six to eight babies per litter, a family of six mice can multiply into 60 over the course of three months.

Down south you have more snakes. Cold here, will put them in structures. It's a never ending conversion/story. If you see one, you have plenty more.

Aarongriffey 03-10-2020 11:30 PM

Rodents can not burp.Give mice n rats Coca Cola. instead of burping they’ll bust a gut n die..? They love Coca-Cola.
Put some in a saucer or hub cap, they’ll lap it up.
Dogs n cats can drink coke without causing them any trouble.

Tinker 03-10-2020 11:38 PM

Wives tale. Just as effective if you have a stray dog on a sheep farm, soaking sponges in bacon grease. Well that might work better.

31Cabriolet68-C 04-02-2020 07:26 PM

A few comments from a Model A guy, if I may.... from a guy who had the entire NOS Lebaron top and interior kit for my Cabriolet (new in the boxes) ruined by the little %$##@&^!(*)&%^÷-%ers
First, ya gotta love all the trap ideas, some super engineering...
And, also, best of luck with all those in-the-car repellants.
However, killing them once they've gotten inside indicates that a fundamental problem has not yet been addressed: "What's this vermin doing living in my stuff?"
Here's what seems most important to me:
First: ONLY standard-issue 1/4" metal mesh called "hardware cloth" will work well enough to seal a building so tightly you can keep the mice out!!!! (They sell it by the roll at Home Depot, ain't cheap... and so it's pretty much impractical for barns... sorry.)
Second: Microbes in mouse droppings can be terribly dangerous. Hanta virus is right up there with Corona... Be extra careful.
Thirdly, and most importantly, and most horribly: Rats EAT mice...
SO, If you have mice now, and you don't control them, you will EVENTUALLY have RATS!!!!
It's a jungle out there, folks!
Stay safe!!!!
TallyHo John B....

AnthonyG 04-03-2020 10:09 AM

Make ur choice on ‘how to’ based on ur convictions but arrive a a solution that kills them frequently w Success! All the repellant ideas if they work, only do for a relatively short period & they come back doing damage worse than before as they still hang around & multiply out of the repellant range! Even the electronic repellers only work for a time until they get use to them, I’ve seen enough droppings to know they were hanging around the electronic device w no effect after getting use to it. While I don’t have any outside cats because w have Coyotes in Pa. where my cars r, middle of 30 acres of woods. Coyotes eat the cats as fast as the cats eat the mice.l but in an environment w/o I’d have a couple hanging around in & out of garage.

40 Deluxe 04-03-2020 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aarongriffey (Post 1860815)
Rodents can not burp.Give mice n rats Coca Cola. instead of burping they’ll bust a gut n die..? They love Coca-Cola.
Put some in a saucer or hub cap, they’ll lap it up.
Dogs n cats can drink coke without causing them any trouble.

Carbonation is what causes burping. So one would have to replace the flat Coke quite often! Sounds like a full-time job going around pouring out fresh Coke!

Tinker 04-03-2020 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 31Cabriolet68-C (Post 1869306)
Thirdly, and most importantly, and most horribly: Rats EAT mice...
SO, If you have mice now, and you don't control them, you will EVENTUALLY have RATS!!!!
It's a jungle out there, folks!
Stay safe!!!!
TallyHo John B....

Oddly enough so do chipmunks! Chipmunks are also very territorial.

If they weren't so destructive to structures, they'd be great to have more around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpYUqkAXKH0

glennpm 04-03-2020 02:55 PM

Baking soda, flour and sugar gets it done ����

doghair3 04-03-2020 04:11 PM

You guy's got it all wrong. You need to go get a squirmy little buddy like this. Mice can't run away fast enough.

https://www.havahart.com/media/artic...rter-snake.jpg

petehoovie 04-03-2020 04:36 PM

[QUOTE=doghair3;1869675]You guy's got it all wrong. You need to go get a squirmy little buddy like this. Mice can't run away fast enough.

https://www.havahart.com/media/artic...rter-snake.jpg

glennpm 04-03-2020 04:42 PM

Good one Pete!