The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Throttle Bracket Rubbing (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=307010)

doug.nichols 11-28-2021 12:41 PM

Throttle Bracket Rubbing

2 Attachment(s)
Just finishing an engine swap. Got to looking at the throttle bracket. The arm that holds the pedal rubs against the upright to its left when fully depressed. See pictures attached. At close inspection, it appears that the pedal arm might have been welded and/or bent in the past which might be contributing to the problem. Opinions? Thoughts on remedy?

Thanks,

Doug

old ugly 11-28-2021 01:19 PM

Re: Throttle Bracket Rubbing

it looks to me that someone has added a new end onto the arm and it is a bit too thick.
if function is more important than correctness then if it were I, just file or grind some clearance into the new section.

if correctness is important then you will have to
1-replace the whole thing
2-cut off that pc and weld on a correct chunk
or
3-reshape the whole thing with a grinder or file.

old ugly 11-28-2021 01:21 PM

it also looks to me that the top shaft is no longer straight. but maybe its just the pic.

doug.nichols 11-28-2021 01:45 PM

Old Ugly

Thanks, I came to a similar conclusion. I emailed Bert's to see what they have on the shelf, but am ok with grinding/filing if I need to.

Brentwood Bob 11-28-2021 03:19 PM

This looks like the correct bracket for the early 28.
There were 5 different designs.
The judging standards would clarify this for you, but Berts will know the differences.
I have several of each but the early ones are rare.
What is your build date?

doug.nichols 11-28-2021 03:42 PM

The majority of evidence suggests that the car is a mid to late 1928.

Brentwood Bob 11-28-2021 10:36 PM

Page 1-17, revised 2016 of judging standards has the series.

al's28/33 11-29-2021 11:55 PM

You'll find that all or most throttle assemblies have been bent at some point with folks removing engines, bodies and farmer fixes. I went thru 4 or 5 assemblies to create my own very neat linkage that clears the firewall and has full use of range with both foot and hand throttle controls. This takes time and patience to adjust, remount, experiment, remove, adjust and remount to get all the working parts moving freely without hang up. A little bend or filing goes a long way, don't get impatient. You will feel so much happier in the long run when the "A" functions normally as it was intended.

Brentwood Bob 11-30-2021 12:14 AM

Great advice Al. I have reworked some bent ones to get them trued-up and straight. Takes time and patience.