The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   It Just don't figure (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=250147)

the99car 08-23-2018 09:54 PM

It Just don't figure

OK. 1946 sedan V8 all stock 6V. 115 -125 lbs compression, installed electric fuel pump. new plugs & wires. been thru 3 distributors & 3 carbs. and run all new fuel lines. The car will run 75 plus mph when you ease up to it. But get home in the garage and rev it and anything over a 1/4 throttle it goes flat and will just die out completely if you floorboard it. I have run a toggle switch and wire straight off the battery to the coil to give it full voltage and no difference. have changed out coil also. It starts in a bump of the starter and purrs like a kitten but just turns flat with rpm. What else can I do??????????????
Kenny Zhills

Tinker 08-23-2018 09:58 PM

Re: It Just don't figure

My suggestion is your float setting or your pump is over running the needle valve. At 75 your engine will use or spit out the fuel. Why a electric fuel pump?

Tinker 08-23-2018 10:08 PM

One other suggest is sticky valves. Put a vacuum gauge on it (wont tell much at idle, but you can put one in inside the car temperately, or permanently) also pour some mmo down it, till it smokes out, then drive the piss out of it.

But it sounds like you are overloading it with fuel.

24ruxstel1339 08-23-2018 10:21 PM

Could be a worn cam. 1 exhaust valve not opening enough will foul up the whole program, but still idle and take light throttle. And compression will still be normal.

gnolnor 08-23-2018 11:21 PM

Kenny, You have vapor lock from 10% ethanol gasoline. A lot of heat in the engine when you shut down and the gas vaporizes in the carb. It happened to me at the end of a parade. Gnolnor

Russ/40 08-24-2018 12:35 AM

Bad accelerator pump.

johncusano 08-24-2018 05:53 AM

Points or electronic ignition?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chap52 08-24-2018 06:17 AM

If you are running strictly on an electric fuel pump do you have a fuel pressure regulator? Should be set at 1 1/2-2 pounds.
An electric fuel pump will pump "it's" own factory pre-set pressure. The resistance of a pressure regulator restricts the fuel pressure going into the carb. The electric fuel pump does not care, it pumps it's designed pressure to the regulator and cycles as it senses the need.
Just thinking that if this is the case you may have a flooding issue. This scenario can also mess up the power valve in your carb.
Just another thought to ponder. Keep us posted, Chap

the99car 08-24-2018 07:44 AM

Thanks all. I'm heading out to the shop to play. I have the electric pump on a toggle so will see what happens with just the manual pump. when it dies out floor boarding it I've checked plugs and they are dry. I'll check some more

Kenny Zhills