The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   wolf whistle help (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221167)

sphooch 05-21-2017 09:18 AM

wolf whistle help

Hi guys, I went up to Rineback N. Y. car show a couple weeks ago and while there I found a guy selling wolf whistles, he had 2 of them.he swore they worked and they were from the 50's. so I took a chance , I figured it would be a little different. AH ha buyer be where. I took the trouble to install it on the intake manifold but it doesn't work. all I get is a slight wooosh noise??it doesn't seem like theres much to it, it has a small lever on the back you pull it and its supposed to blow maybe there are parts missing?? I don't know . does anyone have any experience with these and can maybe lend a hand ?? THANKS THE HOOCH

MikeK 05-21-2017 09:34 AM

Re: wolf whistle help

If you look down the throat of the trumpet there should be a whistle device in there that looks like this:
http://static.speedwaymotors.com/RS/...L_17c91eca.jpg
Yours may be plugged or corroded. Some penetrating oil and a little prodding with a piece of MIG wire should help.

It can also rattle loose and unscrew. It may just need to be tightened/ re-seated.

It may also be missing completely or broken internally. You can get this part new from speedway motors for $10.

If the whistle threads are free and easy to turn use some sealer to keep it from backing out.

smittykid 05-21-2017 10:18 AM

Is your whistle body metal or plastic? They both work the same way and as Mike said, make sure the round brass "whistler" piece is in there and will spin freely. I have a metal one-got from Snyder's and it works fine. I also have a red plastic one I bought on eBay and it works even better than the metal one. Can you post a picture of the one you have? Smitty

Tom Wesenberg 05-21-2017 10:28 AM

I had one on my 55 Chevy years ago. I had to lube the spinner about every 3 weeks to keep it working.

BILL WILLIAMSON 05-21-2017 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 1475359)
I had one on my 55 Chevy years ago. I had to lube the spinner about every 3 weeks to keep it working.

Tom, don't fergit to oyl yer OOGAH, every 3 months, ur it'll git SICK!
Buster T.:cool:

joel rapose 07-03-2017 08:15 PM

You should only use a wolf whistle briefly ..it is a real good way to burn or warp your valves...it makes the air/fuel mixture real lean...any idea why I know this ???

redmodelt 07-03-2017 08:19 PM

If you are going to be using it a lot, open the GVA some.

Clem Clement 07-03-2017 09:25 PM

I sprayed mine years ago with WD40. It quit.

DougVieyra 07-03-2017 09:29 PM

You old 'farts' are wasting your time with the ubiquitous "Wolf Whistle".

For those of us who still have fairly good sight, any young chick who deserves a wolf's whistle, in all likelihood would not even know what it was, or what it meant.

It is kind of like passing a sweet young college woman and saying "Huba Huba". She would not have a clue that you were giving her a positive approval of her good looks and attractive figure.

Gentlemen, I have met the enemy . . . . . and he is us !

Tom Wesenberg 07-03-2017 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougVieyra (Post 1494309)

For those of us who still have fairly good sight, any young chick who deserves a wolf's whistle, in all likelihood would not even know what it was, or what it meant.

It is kind of like passing a sweet young college woman and saying "Huba Huba". She would not have a clue that you were giving her a positive approval of her good looks and attractive figure.

Sadly, you are probably right.

Give me back the good old days.

31 Model A 07-04-2017 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 1494338)
Sadly, you are probably right.

Give me back the good old days.

I couldn't agree with you more Tom. If you can remember, Sarah had a WW when I bought her. I soon took it off and gave it away and for the mother-of-all male chauvinist pigs, dirty old man to get rid of a WW is not common but...being dragged into court by some babe that feels offended by your innocent comment, even though she wasn't the good looking babe you had whistled at is a today common happening. It's more safe today to have a wolf whistle app on a smart phone and use it that way to say hello and make a comment unless you use it at some elderly old folks home to give the Blue Rinse Brigade a rush!!!

William Kelchner 07-04-2017 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougVieyra (Post 1494309)

:):D:mad:

Laugh/cry or both -- how true. Happy 4th. Bill K

2manycars 07-04-2017 03:10 PM

I have a wolf whistle on the tudor, and the old ladies love it in a parade, and I can make it sound like Curley the Stooge, so the younger people like that.