The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Copper coat gasket spray. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283847)

russcc 07-10-2020 02:24 PM

Copper coat gasket spray.

Any preferences for Permatex "copper spray a gasket, or CRC K&W "Copper Coat", aerosol.

Kube 07-10-2020 02:50 PM

Re: Copper coat gasket spray.

I prefer Permatex only because I have used it for decades without a single issue

leon bee 07-10-2020 03:08 PM

What Kube said, been using Permatex coppercoat for 50 years. But I ain't putting it on any more Felpro composition head gaskets!

Jack E/NJ 07-10-2020 03:52 PM

I prefer wheel bearing grease cuz I've used it for decades on many engines without a single issue either putting them on or taking them off including composition. 8^) Jack E/NJ

Kube 07-10-2020 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leon bee (Post 1907891)
What Kube said, been using Permatex coppercoat for 50 years. But I ain't putting it on any more Felpro composition head gaskets!

Ya got me to chuckle. I will continue to use it on head gaskets but Lord knows I understand your sentiment. Yep, I too have had to remove those gaskets, albeit rarely - not a fun task.

tubman 07-10-2020 09:29 PM

I'm a "greaser" myself. If that don't do it, you have other problems.

GB SISSON 07-10-2020 10:21 PM

Been contemplating some grease on gaskets..... I have maybe 5 or 6 types of grease around the shop. Old fibrous wheel bearing, red for boat trailer bearings, old cup grease for hit and miss engines???

russcc 07-11-2020 05:42 AM

Are Best head gaskets, which I am using, considered "composite". If so do they also become a pain to get off using "Copper Coat" spray if for some reason something is amiss.
I have had to scrape off the debris of older type "composite" head gaskets, and it's not much fun.

Ol' Ron 07-11-2020 07:19 AM

Good stuff.
Gramps

flatjack9 07-11-2020 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russcc (Post 1908014)
Are Best head gaskets, which I am using, considered "composite". If so do they also become a pain to get off using "Copper Coat" spray if for some reason something is amiss.
I have had to scrape off the debris of older type "composite" head gaskets, and it's not much fun.

Yes

Kube 07-11-2020 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 1907984)
I'm a "greaser" myself. If that don't do it, you have other problems.

I know of a number of folks that have had good fortune with using grease.
Me? I simply won't take the chance no matter how small.
After these cars are restored and completely assembled, the thought of having to R&R a cylinder head makes me dizzy :(

deuce_roadster 07-11-2020 09:30 AM

I am with Kube. I tried the grease only 1 time on a water pump and it leaked. Went back to Copper Coat spray and over the many years have never had it fail. I rarely have to remove anything I have installed and am willing to take the time if I have to. If you leave the end of your shop vac hose near where you are removing the old gasket there is little if any mess to clean up. The only place I don't use the spray is on the gasket between the distributor and the timing cover as the paper is enough and I have never had one leak or the exhaust gaskets.
I would think that since grease is usually 90 wt oil with some kind of "filler" to make it thick (that is why oil runs out of your grease gun after sitting) when used on an engine that gets hot, the oil would over time go away or run out, and there would still be a residue to clean up if you removed the part. My experience with a water pump gasket was not good, don't like redoing anything and it hasn't leaked since.
I hang gaskets by a wire, spray both sides, let them dry then use them.

Kube 07-11-2020 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deuce_roadster (Post 1908087)
I am with Kube. I tried the grease only 1 time on a water pump and it leaked. Went back to Copper Coat spray and over the many years have never had it fail. I rarely have to remove anything I have installed and am willing to take the time if I have to. If you leave the end of your shop vac hose near where you are removing the old gasket there is little if any mess to clean up. The only place I don't use the spray is on the gasket between the distributor and the timing cover as the paper is enough and I have never had one leak or the exhaust gaskets.
I would think that since grease is usually 90 wt oil with some kind of "filler" to make it thick (that is why oil runs out of your grease gun after sitting) when used on an engine that gets hot, the oil would over time go away or run out, and there would still be a residue to clean up if you removed the part. My experience with a water pump gasket was not good, don't like redoing anything and it hasn't leaked since.
I hang gaskets by a wire, spray both sides, let them dry then use them.

I'm with you but you knew that :)
I do use a Walker brand sealant for the exhaust gaskets and between each pipe joint. It is non-hardening - Accustashield®.
I've used this stuff since the early 70's. It's been around since the 40's.
Any small imperfections in mating surfaces - it fills them.
I learned to use this in the 70's due to the short life span of exhaust systems. Thinking back to my '69 Riviera with dual mufflers and dual resonator's… they needed to be replaced nearly each year. The Accustashield® made separating the pipes a breeze. I've been using that ever since.

Oh, to the guys that use grease so as to reuse the gaskets at a later date... again, I'd rather toss the gasket, buy a new one and limit my chances of a failure.
Personally, I value my time higher than a gasket or two.

deuce_roadster 07-11-2020 11:06 AM

Thanks, Accustashield is a new one to me. I will look up where you can obtain it.
Sounds like a good product.

TomO 07-11-2020 12:15 PM

I find that you get the best results with a head gasket when you use the gasket manufacturer's recommendations. I was a copper spray guy until a FelPro engineer gave us a talk back in the 1980's about head gasket sealing. He convinced me that the coating that they use on their head gaskets would work much better without any gasket dressing. I still use Coppercoat on other gaskets.

I did use grease on the copper and steel head gaskets, back in the day (pre Korean Police Action). I was told by the "old Guys" that this was done to make sure that the gasket hang up when torquing it.

Kube 07-11-2020 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deuce_roadster (Post 1908108)
Thanks, Accustashield is a new one to me. I will look up where you can obtain it.
Sounds like a good product.

NAPA, often on the shelf...

40cpe 07-11-2020 04:19 PM

FYI, I was looking for the exhaust sealant and found the correct name to be Walker acousti/seal. Autozone shows it for about 1/2 of NAPA's price.

Jack Shaft 07-11-2020 04:43 PM

Spray paint,silver is best.graphite turns to goo,copper coat copper or spray paint copper your choice...triple bond everything else,or pematex ultra grey..modern sealants and ford grey iron castings match well..just be sparing,silicone snot balls can be ugly

flatjack9 07-11-2020 05:09 PM

I'm still a believer in using gaskets as they are. They are designed to seal without added sealers. The only time I use any kind of sealant ( and then only a spot or two) is when I need to keep a gasket from falling off or shifting while I try to install a part.

leon bee 07-11-2020 05:40 PM

Like Jack and others, I don't use any sealer type stuff unless I have to. I like 3Bond at the water pumps, etc. I mostly work on old motorcycles, use copper head gaskets- these always get coppercoat. Anything else I grab my Lucas sticky red grease, that always holds a gasket in place.

And the last few flathead head gaskets, I've followed advice from many of you guys. Brushed em all over with grease, no problems.