The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   How would you handle this...ebay situation? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60891)

Deluxe Delivery 02-02-2012 01:12 PM

How would you handle this...ebay situation?

OK, I scored a nice looking original A running chassis on the e-bay the other day.:) Called the guy, he said he made a street rod out of an all original 30 tudor and wanted to get rid of the running chassis and all the other "junk", fenders, dash, interior parts etc because all he wanted was this cherry body. I said " OK, if you throw in all the extra stuff, I won't even make an offer, I'll pay full asking price with the Buy-It Now. He agreed and I offered an immediate deposit with the balance paid in cash in person. He said he'd trust me and would not sell it to anyone else and I can pay all cash on pickup. I again agreed. Then he called back and wanted it all on paypal, saying e-bay requires it that way. I said it only requires a deposit when buying cars, but he insisted, and again I agreed.
I paid in full with paypal. I called him today to arrange to pick it up tomorrow and he said "You cost me $120..that's what paypal took and you can pay me cash tomorrow !" I countered that I tried to pay him cash, but it was his idea to go with paypal. He said he wasn't aware of that and if I want the parts, I have to bring an extra $120.:confused:
I am a little upset that I have to pay his paypal fees that he insisted on using. I really want the chassis and parts, but feel a bit hosed if I give him an extra$120. :mad: So, before I travel 6 hours to retrieve my purchase, I'd like to know what you think. WHAT WOULD YOU DO ?:confused:

SGT in Ont. 02-02-2012 01:19 PM

Re: How would you handle this...ebay situation?

I would report him to Ebay/Paypal. I don't think he can hold the parts because Paypal charged him the the transaction. It's not up to you to pay his fees. He should have known there was a fee before he listed the items. His beef is with Paypal not yoy.

Tom Wesenberg 02-02-2012 01:20 PM

I completely agree with you and you shouldn't have to pay $120. I also think if you want the parts you will be paying another $120. He who holds the parts is boss.

Tinker 02-02-2012 01:22 PM

I'd probably pay it. Here's why, because you'll get tied up in all sorts of bs if you don't.

I might however once loaded, he's been payed, title signed over (if title is going with the frame.) Give him a small peace of my mind. Might that is.

Being eager or nice sometimes makes you a target.

shall 02-02-2012 01:27 PM

I don't believe he can pass on the paypal fees any more than a merchant is suppose to pass on CC fees...which doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I would pass on the deal, and file it with ebay/paypal to get your money back if he doesn't refund it.

Rowdy 02-02-2012 01:29 PM

This is part of the bad side of Paypal. In 2008 Paypal kept over $300 of my money in their blasted fees. Then people have the nerve to bash sellers over the price of the parts. After you figure listing fees, final aution fees, paypal fees then the taxes on the profits there is not much left for the sellers. Cash on pickup of large items is always preferred as long as the cash is not counterfit, which has happenned to me once. I now have a counterfit checker pen to make sure that it never happens again.

Guesse you and the seller have some things to iron out and I see both points of view. Rod

MikeK 02-02-2012 01:40 PM

What Tom W said. You made a side deal for the parts, not in writing. I'd think if someone offered me 4 original cherry fenders I'd be runnin' over there FAST with a fist full-o-hundred dollar bills. Screw the $120.

VWJoe 02-02-2012 01:44 PM

Remember, those are HIS paypal fees, not yours. He should have made it perfectly clear in his ad that the buyer will pay his paypal fees !!!. I wouldn't pay anyones paypal fees. The threat of you giving him negative feedback works wonders. If he's a straight up person, he should eat the buck twenty cause its his fault

700rpm 02-02-2012 01:53 PM

I'd walk away. Bad karma all around this deal. Get a refund and go through PP buyer protection if you have to. There are lots of Model A pats out there, and you'll find what you need another day from an honest seller. This guy is as crooked as a politician. Tell him to put his parts and his fees where the sun won't shine on 'em.

1931 flamingo 02-02-2012 02:29 PM

Pay him the $120 AND then file totally negative feedback with paypal!!! If he has what you want and need then even with the extra 120 it's still a good deal for you. JMO Especiaaly if you're getting a title with the chassis.
Paul in CT

hardtimes 02-02-2012 02:32 PM

700RPM and others are right on! Buyer (YOU) beware of a person who exhibits this kind of behavior! Those who complain about ebay ..WHY? Ebay is your only 'friend' here in this matter. Who else are you going to rely on, those who complain about ebay? Don't think so! Also, make positive to give this scum a feedback that reflects his behavior, so in that way you might help others.
The way this guy has behaved , so far, indicates that you MIGHT have more to worry about than an extra $120. I'm talking the condition of the stuff that he represented to you to begin with. RUN...while you can. You can/will have other opportunities for ethical/moral people in time.

Keith True 02-02-2012 02:47 PM

I think it is something you should walk away from.Main reason being this is being read by the seller,and you can pretty much count on things not being the same as they were when you get there once the can of worms has been opened in public.I do agree 100% with you,as you are in the right,according to paypal rules.So you can drop the whole thing,through paypal,getting cooperation from them is another can of worms.Or,you can bite the bullet,pay,and hope for the best.Quite a few people will try to change the deal once you have driven 6 hours for something,thinking you will cave rather than waste the trip.I talked to this seller,for a friend who has a new body and is looking for a chassis to use under it.He is willing to travel(retired)and would have bought it but he found another chassis closer,same thing,rodder taking apart a rust free car.

dave in australia 02-02-2012 02:54 PM

I agree with 700RPM, don't pickup the parts and get a refund, paypal advertise buyer protection, so use it.

peters180a/170b 02-02-2012 03:00 PM

If it said BUY NOW ! AND you paid that price shown that's a contract:mad:. If it was $50.00 PAY NOW its $50.00 !!!!!:mad:!!!! I would bring that up to him first and if he gives you any lip... then call ebay on his action[Let them deal with it first ,,,it will not take that long at all.. 1 DAY THE MOST...Iv'e BEEN THERE and done that...]. And then list his name here so we will know who to watch out for...

34Fordtk 02-02-2012 03:07 PM

One thing no-one has brought up yet......the EXTRA parts are/were NOT (if I read your first post right) part of the auction! So he has you over a barrel, pay him the $120 if you want the stuff.
BUT I would make sure I had someone with me when I went there to pick it up........

Modelakid31 02-03-2012 02:04 PM

I would definatly report him to paypal and ebay. And done pay the 120 bucks.

mrtexas 02-03-2012 02:30 PM

It all boils down to a willing buyer and willing seller. You can't force him to deliver the stuff you paid for. If he is unwilling to take what you paid, you can get a refund thru paypal. Apparently he now wants $120 more than what you paid. It is up to you. Get a refund, pay the extra $120, or bargain with the seller.

Paypal/ebay will only help to get back what you paid if you don't get the goods. They only care about their fees and will help if you pay and don't get. Anything else and you are on your own.

I had an interesting experience once. A guy had an F-1 steering column I wanted. He said he would do a buy it now if I bid $275. He didn't so I cancelled my bid. I then re-bid and won the auction for $205. He wouldn't sell it to me for $205 so I paid him the $275, still a bargain.

As a result of that I now have two ebay accounts, 28ModelAR-RPU and ModelA4RD to avoid that outcome again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by peters180a/170b (Post 356012)
If it said BUY NOW ! AND you paid that price shown that's a contract:mad:. If it was $50.00 PAY NOW its $50.00 !!!!!:mad:!!!! I would bring that up to him first and if he gives you any lip... then call ebay on his action[Let them deal with it first ,,,it will not take that long at all.. 1 DAY THE MOST...Iv'e BEEN THERE and done that...]. And then list his name here so we will know who to watch out for...

Ebay won't force him to give you the stuff:

jerry tocci 02-03-2012 02:47 PM

Give him the EXTRA money and file a complaint with ebay and paypal against this a-hole. They can lock up his paypal account untill the dispute is setteled. Get a reciept for the extra cash, or better yet pay the $120.00 through paypal. Get home with the goods first.

Banky 02-03-2012 02:50 PM

Don't waste your time with ebay. PayPal however will refund you the money with a quickness! They don't mess around.

jerry tocci 02-03-2012 02:51 PM

Remember, you did a deal outside of ebay.