The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Taillight fender hole. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295266)

700rpm 03-03-2021 08:00 PM

Taillight fender hole.

I am going to add a RH taillight to my 1929 Tudor. Can someone please give me the correct diameter of the hole in the fender for the wiring? Also, if someone has a locator pattern for correct positioning, I could use that too.
Thanks.

Stingray70 03-03-2021 09:21 PM

Re: Taillight fender hole.

Could you just remove the left light and use a piece of paper to make a template relative to the fender edges? Use those hole sizes for the ones you are adding on the right.

Bob Bidonde 03-04-2021 08:01 AM

I caution you that the RH tail light brackets are not the opposite geometry of the original LH bracket, so do not transfer any location measurements from the LH side. Instead position the RH tail light with its bracket so it is visually of the same height and distance from the body as the LH light.

Big hammer 03-04-2021 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde (Post 1992127)
I caution you that the RH tail light brackets are not the opposite geometry of the original LH bracket, so do not transfer any location measurements from the LH side. Instead position the RH tail light with its bracket so it is visually of the same height and distance from the body as the LH light.

I measured twice and still the rh light didn't look right, it was close so I stepped back and adjusted the rh light to look right. I used a level and a long straight edge and taped the light to the fender moving it until it looked right.

Thank you Bob ! I thought it was just me being off.

McMimmcs 03-04-2021 09:47 AM

Quote:

I agree with the visual positioning and I suggest you use a helper just in case your eyes are playing tricks on you. After we agreed on location we taped it in place and stood back and had a look from different directions.

KenBolton 03-04-2021 10:24 AM

I did make a paper template of the left fender holes positioning the paper edge with the outside lines of the fender. I so took a measurement from the fender bottom. When I moved it to the right fender I turned the template over so it would fit. Visually and dimensionally all was well.

JayJay 03-04-2021 10:38 AM

Quote:

Good tip, Bob, thanks for this. I need to put a RH taillight on my Sedan. Engineer that I am, I would have done this analytically by transferring measurements. Looks like I get to enlist my bride as Visual QA on this one.

Any of you with original part numbers - are the RH taillight brackets the same across all the passenger car bodies (aftermarket suppliers seem to imply so)? Looking specifically for any cross-applications with 1930 Murray Town Sedan.

JayJay

700rpm 03-04-2021 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stingray70 (Post 1992009)
Could you just remove the left light and use a piece of paper to make a template relative to the fender edges? Use those hole sizes for the ones you are adding on the right.

I want to avoid taking the LH light off.

Ruth 03-04-2021 10:59 AM

The tail light brackets made by Vintique are not even close to being symmetrical. Even when you level them up they don't look right.

Don't use the fender hole position of the left light for the right light. I guarantee you will regret it.

I avoid Vintique products whenever I can.

700rpm 03-04-2021 04:23 PM

I got the bracket from Mike’s.

700rpm 03-04-2021 08:42 PM

This is all good info, but to get back to my original post, all I really need is the diameter of the hole in the fender for the wiring. Surely someone has a 29 Tudor left fender without the taillight attached in their pile, or are restoring a 29 Tudor and can measure that hole? Please?

Gary Kelley 03-05-2021 03:20 PM

I have a 31 Tudor rear fender here that I have been working on and it has a one inch hole for the wires.

700rpm 03-05-2021 05:06 PM

Thank you, Gary! That’s the info I need!