The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Water is not supposed to be there... (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295180)

Talkwrench 03-01-2021 08:02 PM

Water is not supposed to be there...

3 Attachment(s)
Well Its not often I get let down but it wouldn't start at work ..clunk was all I got. Eventually it started and I drove home and knew something was not right it was running on 6 -7 cylinders, vacuum gauge was down and fluctuating.. After pulling heads this is what I found :eek: looks like a crack in no.8 . I built and have been running this engine for about three and a half years..:rolleyes:

petehoovie 03-01-2021 08:06 PM

Re: Water is not supposed to be there...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talkwrench (Post 1991123)
Well Its not often I get let down but it wouldn't start at work ..clunk was all I got. Eventually it started and I drove home and knew something was not right it was running on 6 -7 cylinders, vacuum gauge was down and fluctuating.. After pulling heads this is what I found :eek: looks like a crack in no.8 . I built and have been running this engine for about three and a half years..:rolleyes:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...0&d=1614646893

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...1&d=1614646893 https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...2&d=1614646893

Will D 03-01-2021 08:46 PM

That's not the end to the day anyone wants. Is it repairable? Can it be sleeved?

Hoping for a speedy recovery, if its possible.

JSeery 03-01-2021 08:50 PM

That's not good!

Bored&Stroked 03-01-2021 09:15 PM

Yep - that would do it! Has had water in the cylinder for awhile - can see the rust pitting.

My guess is that you should be able to sleeve that one hole, put new rings on the piston and be good to go. Given that you had a starter "clunk", then you most likely had a lot of water in the cylinder and hydrauliced (sp?) the engine. I would have the rod for that cylinder checked for straightness and check the rod bearings.

Talkwrench 03-01-2021 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked (Post 1991157)
Yep - that would do it! Has had water in the cylinder for awhile - can see the rust pitting.

My guess is that you should be able to sleeve that one hole, put new rings on the piston and be good to go. Given that you had a starter "clunk", then you most likely had a lot of water in the cylinder and hydrauliced (sp?) the engine. I would have the rod for that cylinder checked for straightness and check the rod bearings.

Correct, and yes Brian already said check the rod because of Hydro :rolleyes:

51 MERC-CT 03-01-2021 10:14 PM

Might be dirt or something but it sure looks like a burnt exhaust valve in #5 cylinder.
And to me the overall condition doesn't look that great ether.

Kurt in NJ 03-01-2021 10:36 PM

looks like the head gasket has problem at the rear water passage, the black areas usually are suspect places for leaks on that type of gasket

where is the suspected crack? ---is it the lower stud? ---how large is the bore>

I don't think it is a crack most likely if it was cracked it would go all the way to the deck and over to the hole

petehoovie 03-01-2021 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talkwrench (Post 1991171)
Correct, and yes Brian already said check the rod because of Hydro :rolleyes:

Hydrolock

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ting_rod_1.JPG

Talkwrench 03-01-2021 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT (Post 1991179)
Might be dirt or something but it sure looks like a burnt exhaust valve in #5 cylinder.
And to me the overall condition doesn't look that great ether.

Personally I thought it would look better when I opened it up. I think the valve is fine . Used to get 21 -22 Hg at idle [with twin carbs] I could pull 60mph out of second easy., was a great engine but did spend most of its time in commuting.

Talkwrench 03-01-2021 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ (Post 1991187)
looks like the head gasket has problem at the rear water passage, the black areas usually are suspect places for leaks on that type of gasket

where is the suspected crack? ---is it the lower stud? ---how large is the bore>

I don't think it is a crack most likely if it was cracked it would go all the way to the deck and over to the hole

Yes it does look as tough he gasket has be leaking. yes lower stud, its only .030 over. Its really hard too see its why I took the stud out ..Im still convinced its a crack

Bored&Stroked 03-02-2021 06:36 PM

Looks like a crack to me. You'll need to pull the motor down to sleeve it anyway, so I'd do a pressure test on the block - you'll then know for sure where the crack(s) are.

mfirth 03-02-2021 07:09 PM

That is sad.....

Kurt in NJ 03-03-2021 12:50 PM

do you have a armature growler? it can be used to magnaflux, and i used to use .001-.002 cuts on rotor lathe to make 'powder"
is it a blind stud hole?

jetmek 03-03-2021 03:08 PM

A weak spot on 21 stud engines. Had one let go on a fresh rebuild. It distorted the top of the cylinder bad enough to lock up the engine.

Lawrie 03-03-2021 04:17 PM

Rob , price some freight, I have a complete 24 stud 221 engine you could have.
and I second the look at the gasket, I had one just like it on the 33 the other month, the black areas specially.
Lawrie

Talkwrench 03-03-2021 07:15 PM

If it comes down to it Lawrie I will do thank you.
I need to take it out and assess it further , Ive been dawdling on the other [backup] engine so now I have to get the skates on and finish it so I can swap over , I still have not found 3 1/16 + .100 rings :rolleyes:

Keith dropped off a sleeve the other day so it could come in handy. ;)

Lawrie 03-04-2021 02:10 AM

get onto Hastings or grant for the rings.
Lawrie

Lawrie 03-04-2021 05:11 PM

Rob, I have some new model A engines coming over from Perth freight cost is very good, maybe not there other way.
And get a crack tester kit from Blackwoods and check it, but I think it will be the gasket.
Lawrie

deuce5wndw 03-05-2021 09:17 AM

So the head gasket leaked into the cylinder and hydro locked causing the cylinder to crack correct? Had that happen once on a 428CJ.