The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   drum puller (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283684)

Tim Ayers 07-08-2020 01:01 PM

Re: drum puller

Quote:

Originally Posted by flatford8 (Post 1907181)
I’m supposed to receive mine today. Seemed like very nice people to deal with..... Mark

Agreed.

Will D 07-08-2020 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Ayers (Post 1907160)
I have one from Vintage Precision coming to me early next week. It's an essential tool for sure.

This style says it's for drums with the "groove" and not the "protruding ring". Know of any suppliers of one suitable for drums with the protruding ring style?

Tim Ayers 07-08-2020 01:22 PM

I don't, sorry. I would check Ebay for vintage hub puller. That type tends to pop up more often.

Bored&Stroked 07-09-2020 06:57 AM

The one that I have is NOT a KR Wilson version, but picks up the groove and works really well. I can't remember who I bought it from (probably eBay, Ford Barn or the HAMB). Will take pictures late on and post . . .

flatford8 07-09-2020 08:23 AM

I opened mine last nite while my son was visiting. He’s a Tool and Die Maker at the ship yard in Kittery. He looked it over good and thought it was a real well made tool. Rugged, good quality materials and nice machining...... Mark

deuce lover 07-09-2020 09:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's mine.had it 50 yrs and got it free. Never failed Works like a charm

Jack E/NJ 07-09-2020 01:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some folks have claimed this $18 HarborFreight tierod puller can also get the job done by filing the claws a bit to snug in the groove. Jack E/NJ

johndee138 07-09-2020 01:49 PM

^^^^
That's ^^^^ what I've used in the past. works well enough I would love a "real" puller but it runs almost 10 times the cost for the above unit. I get the good one someday

Mart 07-09-2020 02:14 PM

If I was going to try and use one like that one pictured above, I'd put a big G Clamp across it to help prevent the jaws from spreading apart.

Mart.

flatford8 07-09-2020 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack E/NJ (Post 1907547)
Some folks have claimed this $18 HarborFreight tierod puller can also get the job done by filing the claws a bit to snug in the groove. Jack E/NJ

I hope it’s not made by the same company as their jackstands....... Mark

ford38v8 07-09-2020 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack E/NJ (Post 1907547)

All these cheapo pullers can end up costing you an axle, a drum, or worse. Two points of contact guarantee it to wobble under the wrench, and that's when things start going south.

RalphM 07-09-2020 04:46 PM

Yep, The right tool for the right job. Just like getting out stuck flat head valves you can spend hours fighting them or get the right tool and do it in less than an hour.

mcgarrett 07-09-2020 05:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Then there's this bad boy made by Blue Point. My Dad found this at a garage sale or auction several years ago and it's a beast - probably weighs around 10 pounds! Had to modify it slightly, but it will fit Model A & early V8 hubs nicely. Grips with incredible leverage and applies pressure squarely on the end of the axle stub.

bobH 07-09-2020 05:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Home made, obviously copied from 'somewhere', works good

RalphM 07-09-2020 06:04 PM

That’s well made! How did you machine out the recess? On a Mill?

Aarongriffey 07-10-2020 12:16 AM

I bought one from Precision I think on eBay. Was a few years ago. Nice folks, made well works great.
Back in the days (early to mid fifties) we put the opposite wheel on a starter or generator, put the weight of the car on the wheels, put the nut flush with the end of the axle and whacked it with a sledge hammer.
Hopefully the wheel would stay right there but the rear end of the car would roll on the old round thing under the opposite wheel. Always worked. The dealer mechanics taught me that.
There was also a special nut you could buy to put on the axle for hammering on.

Bob NH 07-11-2020 06:14 AM

deuce lover, I wondered how long it would be before someone posted a picture of your puller. I also have the same one which my dad used and somehow I managed to hang on to it. On a tough pull, an impact socket lightly used works wonders !