The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Valve seat inserts. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=305542)

Fatheads4ever 10-22-2021 01:48 PM

Valve seat inserts.

Hi all.. would any happen to know the size of the valve seat inserts in a c59a block. Some of mine are looking very wide after regrinding.
Thanks all in advance.

bbrocksr 10-22-2021 02:03 PM

Re: Valve seat inserts.

Narrow them with a 30 and a 60 degree stone to about 3/32 .
Bill

Ronnieroadster 10-22-2021 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fatheads4ever (Post 2069173)
Hi all.. would any happen to know the size of the valve seat inserts in a c59a block. Some of mine are looking very wide after regrinding.
Thanks all in advance.

Having had experience replacing Ford flathead V-8 valve seat inserts I learned one important thing. First remove the original seat ring and now determine if the opening in the block still round. I have found the openings in the block are no longer round just the results of age and so many heat cycles. If the opening is not round a stock replacement ring may be loose or become loose after installation. The interference dimension is so slight if the opening is not round there's a good possibility of the ring becoming loose. To correct this problem I always carefully increase the opening diameter until its round. Once I have the new opening ready for a seat i now order a replacement in the dimension i need. Tucker Valve Seat company can make to order seats.
Ronnieroadster

supereal 10-22-2021 02:08 PM

That is a job for a machine shop. We recut the pockets and install hardened seats at our shop. The pockets must carefully examined for cracks. If the seats were replaced at sometime, that can be a problem if done improperly.

big job 10-23-2021 08:10 AM

Not darkside but then you do what you gotta do. Back before all these venders a lot of seats were simply ground into the block. So we would bore the block for a known size cast iron water pipe kike a ring and press that in and grind the valve angle. bottom line whats the difference cast iron block cast iron ring. Now with available seats you still have to bore the block .......got these pics in my computer that had heart attack lol maybe it can be fixed......sam

Craig CT 10-24-2021 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster (Post 2069191)
Having had experience replacing Ford flathead V-8 valve seat inserts I learned one important thing. First remove the original seat ring and now determine if the opening in the block still round. I have found the openings in the block are no longer round just the results of age and so many heat cycles. If the opening is not round a stock replacement ring may be loose or become loose after installation. The interference dimension is so slight if the opening is not round there's a good possibility of the ring becoming loose. To correct this problem I always carefully increase the opening diameter until its round. Once I have the new opening ready for a seat i now order a replacement in the dimension i need. Tucker Valve Seat company can make to order seats.
Ronnieroadster

Hi Ronnieroadster; How much OD do you add to the seat insert after the block has been prepped? Thanks Craig.

Pete 10-24-2021 06:16 PM

.006 for cast iron.
.007 for aluminum.

Craig CT 10-24-2021 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 2069857)
.006 for cast iron.
.007 for aluminum.

Hi Pete; Thank you, Craig.

Ronnieroadster 10-25-2021 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig CT (Post 2069850)
Hi Ronnieroadster; How much OD do you add to the seat insert after the block has been prepped? Thanks Craig.

When I place an order with Tucker I tell them the now round finished valve seat bore diameter in the block. From that information they then decide the proper additional amount needed for the new valve seats so they stay in place once I install them.
Ronnieroadster

Karl Wolf 10-25-2021 04:32 PM

I replaced all the valve seats in my 59AB.
Found washers that fit in the old seat, arc weld them in.
This shrinks them, they come out easily.
Measure the holes for size. Round, yes- but it's harder.
See if the aftermarket seats will do.
I had seats made, KO Lee, I think. Not a lot of $.
I made a driver from some cast iron plumbing fittings.
The tool uses the valve guide hole to keep the seat square as it's driven in.

Karl

Fatheads4ever 10-25-2021 05:55 PM

Thanks guys.. all good advice

Regards Kevin

Craig CT 10-25-2021 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster (Post 2070106)
When I place an order with Tucker I tell them the now round finished valve seat bore diameter in the block. From that information they then decide the proper additional amount needed for the new valve seats so they stay in place once I install them.
Ronnieroadster

Hi Ronnieroadster; Thank you, Craig.