The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Reproduction splash shield quality (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291426)

gdmn852 12-10-2020 06:34 PM

Reproduction splash shield quality

Hello, did a search on repro fenders and splash shields and found the lengthy post from 2012 that list the modifications needed to fit them. Has the quality of them improved any? The reason I ask is because I am re restoration a 31 Roadster that appears to have repro fenders and shields on it , lots of filler on shields .As stripping them will cost almost as new reproduction shields, trying to find out if be better to replace them or just rework what I have.Thank you for your input.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 12-10-2020 07:11 PM

Re: Reproduction splash shield quality

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdmn852 (Post 1961555)
Hello, did a search on repro fenders and splash shields and found the lengthy post from 2012 that list the modifications needed to fit them. Has the quality of them improved any? The reason I ask is because I am re restoration a 31 Roadster that appears to have repro fenders and shields on it , lots of filler on shields .As stripping them will cost almost as new reproduction shields, trying to find out if be better to replace them or just rework what I have. Thank you for your input.

Basically, ...no.

Not sure which 2012 post you are referring to, but if the aprons you have fit now, then use them. There are many things that can be done to eliminate the need for filler.

Mister Moose 12-10-2020 11:30 PM

When I did my car I left the engine shields off in case I needed to re-do anything. Never put them on. Don't miss them. Can't tell without the hood open. Don't drive in the rain or dirt roads. Is there any reason I should put them on?

RUNNERBUN 12-11-2020 12:49 AM

Mister Moose, I think we are talking about two different things here. The original poster is referring to the splash shields that run between the front and rear mudguards and just above the running boards. You appear to be referring the the engine splash shields under the hood beside the engine. Pardon me if I'm incorrect.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 12-11-2020 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RUNNERBUN (Post 1961674)
Mister Moose, I think we are talking about two different things here. The original poster is referring to the splash shields that run between the front and rear mudguards and just above the running boards. You appear to be referring the the engine splash shields under the hood beside the engine. Pardon me if I'm incorrect.

This is another great example of us all using incorrect nomenclature. :o

The proper name is Running Board Shield (A-16535-C or A-16536-C) and the Front Fender (A-16005 or A-16006).

ericr 12-11-2020 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdmn852 (Post 1961555)
Hello, did a search on repro fenders and splash shields and found the lengthy post from 2012 that list the modifications needed to fit them. Has the quality of them improved any? The reason I ask is because I am re restoration a 31 Roadster that appears to have repro fenders and shields on it , lots of filler on shields .As stripping them will cost almost as new reproduction shields, trying to find out if be better to replace them or just rework what I have.Thank you for your input.

the more-expensive, more-original type repro has the correct offset flange where it fastens to the rear fender.

Bob Bidonde 12-11-2020 09:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The fit of reproduction running board splash aprons is not good. The curvature at the front does not fit either original 1931 fenders or reproduction 1931 fenders. I had to reshape the curvature of the L & R aprons by enlarging the nose radii 1/8". To make the new radii, I used an air hammer with a flat spoon bit. The fenders on my car are originals. If at all possible, restore your original running board aprons to avoid the ugly fit of the reproductions.

1ton 12-11-2020 10:00 AM

All I want for Christmas is a pair of running board shields and some rear fenders for my 1931 widebed. BTW, I'm serious.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 12-11-2020 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericr (Post 1961763)
the more-expensive, more-original type repro has the correct offset flange where it fastens to the rear fender.

Who are you getting this type from??

gdmn852 12-11-2020 05:42 PM

Hello the original post I was referring to was reproduction fenders started by Ken B .My apology using incorrect term for the running board shield. The car I am working on is a old restoration needing at least paint and body work, think that the fenders ,shields And running boards are repro parts. Also found out there is no frame welt and the body blocks haven’t the rubber spaces on them. Model A are like a box of chocolates you don’t know what you will find when you take them apart.

ericr 12-11-2020 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 1961881)
Who are you getting this type from??

alas I should have specified that I used these for a '29. I think you are saying that the '31s have an original configuration that is not presently being produced on repos.

McMimmcs 12-11-2020 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericr (Post 1961953)
alas I should have specified that I used these for a '29. I think you are saying that the '31s have an original configuration that is not presently being produced on repos.

And who did you get the 29 parts from ?

SteveB31 12-11-2020 10:28 PM

Regarding 1931 splash aprons, only one company has made them for the last 45 years. GasLight auto in Urbana, OH. They fit fairly well. They haven’t made any for months due to problems with the different people that do the work on them for them.

1928-1929 splash aprons are made be several different companies, with Rootlieb being the best quality and most expensive.

ericr 12-12-2020 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMimmcs (Post 1962037)

And who did you get the 29 parts from ?

I looked in Snyder's current catalog and the '29s are in there

Terry, NJ 12-12-2020 10:50 AM

Hey Guys, Don't mean to hijack the thread, but! If anyone needs a pair of 28-29 running board splash aprons, I have a pair for sale. Pretty nice, no rust or holes $150.
Terry

ronn 12-12-2020 10:58 AM

as Terry aptly points out- they are cheap in original form and often in great shape. why not just buy a pair of originals and selloff the junk ones?

BRENT in 10-uh-C 12-12-2020 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveB31 (Post 1962058)
Regarding 1931 splash aprons, only one company has made them for the last 45 years. GasLight auto in Urbana, OH. They fit fairly well. They haven’t made any for months due to problems with the different people that do the work on them for them.

1928-1929 splash aprons are made be several different companies, with Rootlieb being the best quality and most expensive.

Just to show how quickly things change, one of the last posts in that thread was from Steve talking about Ahooga had purchased the dies and such from Funks and should have some rear fenders out that summer. The irony is 2½ years later after that post, they were bankrupt.