The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Points (ignition) file (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298659)

Marcus 05-16-2021 05:10 PM

Points (ignition) file

Going though my toolbox today, I noticed a tool that might be of use to the 'Barn family: NAPA makes a Points (Ignition) File, part number 2153. I use mine regularly on the various cars, trucks and hot rods - hope this is helpful.

Anteek29 05-16-2021 05:40 PM

Re: Points (ignition) file

Great suggestion...I need one...thanks!

burner31 05-16-2021 05:52 PM

Should be one in every tool box, had the same one since the mid '60's...it's almost broke in.

jb-ob 05-16-2021 06:30 PM

Hey, I got one too !

"How should breaker points be dressed down ? Breaker points should be dressed with an oil stone,; never with a file"

'Know your Model A Ford' by Murray Fahnestock 1930

Patrick L. 05-16-2021 06:32 PM

Yep, go them. Common in mechanics boxes in the day.

Synchro909 05-16-2021 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb-ob (Post 2017248)
Hey, I got one too !

"How should breaker points be dressed down ? Breaker points should be dressed with an oil stone,; never with a file"

'Know your Model A Ford' by Murray Fahnestock 1930

Forget the oil. I use water. The stone lasts just as well and does a better job.

Gene F 05-16-2021 06:47 PM

I have a point file someplace. Don't think I have ever used it.

mass A man 05-16-2021 08:48 PM

When I had to use a point file, the points were pretty much history anyway. It will get you going again but soon let you down since the ignition points were protected by a very thin coating of platinum. once you file that off, you're down to the unprotected base metal. If you need to clean the points, a VERY fine stone, or a very fine "flex-stone " burnisher strip. The point faces need mate up perfectly when closed for great results.

Blue-Truck-Nut 05-17-2021 12:20 AM

The last one of those files I purchased was not a good purchase, wore out with minimal use, back to using a hand me down from grandpa.

However, an emery board nail file works very well, and if you don't have a female companion complete with her hand bag full of accessories along, you can purchase a 10 pack for a buck at most dollar stores.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Kevin in NJ 05-17-2021 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mass A man (Post 2017306)
protected by a very thin coating of platinum. once you file that off, you're down to the unprotected base metal.

The point blocks are made of Tungsten if I recall properly.

The point blocks can be made of different alloys as I have some very low cost NOS aftermarket point sets on a card. The point blocks have turned grey with and oxide coating. While the jar full of used Ford script and Standard brand points I have are still clean and shiny even though they are used.

Which I will point out that points only need to be replaced when the wear block is gone or the contacts are really bad. They do not go bad with time so most people should be able to get 50-60 years out of their used point set that came with the car.

ericr 05-17-2021 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro909 (Post 2017259)
Forget the oil. I use water. The stone lasts just as well and does a better job.

do you remove the points to do so?

katy 05-17-2021 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene F (Post 2017261)
I have a point file someplace. Don't think I have ever used it.

Ditto