The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Anyone run a Lion Head (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298182)

Model A Ron 05-04-2021 12:59 PM

Anyone run a Lion Head
 

I was just visiting a fell Club member and he had a car with a Lion Head on it that ran amazing. I could not believe how hard the car would pull and it seems to be a very good addition for people who wish to go over 40 mph. I could be wrong but the Lion Head seams to be the best thing since canned beer and sliced bread.

Comments welcome as I was considering getting a 6.1 head before seeing and experiencing this Engineering Marvel. With this much power my only concern is knocking out the bearings.

Thanks
Ron

burner31 05-04-2021 01:07 PM

Re: Anyone run a Lion Head
 

I've never heard of a "Lion head" head, but of course I'm just a young man (65) so I still don't know everything yet.
Maybe some of the old timers can enlighten us on this.
PS: I'm running a 6.1 head

alexiskai 05-04-2021 01:15 PM

Re: Anyone run a Lion Head
 

Can you even get a Lion head these days?

(The Lion speed head is distinguished by its 6.5:1 compression, heart-shaped combustion chamber, and repositioning of the spark plugs directly over the piston at a 45 angle.)

Tim Ayers 05-04-2021 01:21 PM

Re: Anyone run a Lion Head
 

https://www.secretsofspeed.com/rocket-428-images

Here is what Charlie Yapp is offering now.

alexiskai 05-04-2021 01:45 PM

Re: Anyone run a Lion Head
 

Dual-plug is a whole other animal. I will say, be cautious about trying to get The Best Cylinder Head your first time out – you can go down a lot of rabbit holes choosing between products that are very similar to each other.

Model A Ron 05-04-2021 01:53 PM

Re: Anyone run a Lion Head
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexiskai (Post 2013515)
Can you even get a Lion head these days?

(The Lion speed head is distinguished by its 6.5:1 compression, heart-shaped combustion chamber, and repositioning of the spark plugs directly over the piston at a 45 angle.)

You must be kidding.....this thing is only 6.5 to 1??? I did not ask Bruce but I was thinking it was at least 8 to 1. I drove a car with the 6.1 head and it was a kitten compared to the Lion Head. As an engineer I can appreciate all the R&D that went into this gem.

Ron

California Travieso 05-04-2021 01:58 PM

Re: Anyone run a Lion Head
 

It is sold by Secrets of Speed:

https://www.secretsofspeed.com/rocket-428-images

Looks like their next delivery is scheduled for September 2021.

David Serrano

Model A Ron 05-04-2021 02:01 PM

Re: Anyone run a Lion Head
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexiskai (Post 2013522)
Dual-plug is a whole other animal. I will say, be cautious about trying to get The Best Cylinder Head your first time out you can go down a lot of rabbit holes choosing between products that are very similar to each other.

I agree that why I am driving as many miles as I can on my car and the cars of fellow club members. At the rate I am going I should log 5000 miles by Christmas. The stock head is on my car now and its fine for the time being.

Ron

nkaminar 05-04-2021 02:55 PM

Re: Anyone run a Lion Head
 

Model A Ron, The combustion chamber shape has as much to do with performance as the compression ratio. The more turbulence the faster the fuel/air will burn which means the pressure is higher. Plus, the design around the valves can lead to better breathing. The dual spark plugs will also mean that the fuel/air will burn faster and it will reduce the tendency to knock, so more advanced ignition timing can be used. Knocking happens a lot at the corners of the combustion chamber when the pressure is built up by the fuel/air combustion and a little pocket of unburnt fuel/air is trapped. The dual plugs means that the flame front reaches the unburnt air/fuel before the pressure has built up to where it explodes on its own.

Chris in WNC 05-04-2021 03:04 PM

Re: Anyone run a Lion Head
 

I had a Lion head from the first batch sold.
It was a real runner.
'30 Tudor with a .125 over engine, B carb & intake and an Aires muffler.
Out on the highway I had to pay close attention to keep it under 60 mph.

Model A Ron 05-04-2021 03:31 PM

Re: Anyone run a Lion Head
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris in WNC (Post 2013547)
I had a Lion head from the first batch sold.
It was a real runner.
'30 Tudor with a .125 over engine, B carb & intake and an Aires muffler.
Out on the highway I had to pay close attention to keep it under 60 mph.

The Lion Head is an Engineering Marvel in my opinion. Do you know what kind of HP gain can be seen? I drove it today and I was like OMG .....you have to be kidding me kind of performance !!!!!!! Just Unbelievable

Thanks
Ron

todd j 05-04-2021 04:30 PM

Re: Anyone run a Lion Head
 

Check out this link for dyno results on the Lion Head. Dennis has done a lot of testing on all of the heads from Charlie Yapp at Secrets of Speed. Dennis does OUTSTANDING engine work. He built my engine with a Riley 2 Port head that puts up 86 HP.

http://modelaparts.net/

Jack Shaft 05-04-2021 04:44 PM

Re: Anyone run a Lion Head
 

2 Attachment(s)
Original Winfield red head,7 to 1..provide it enough fuel and cam it (late B high lift works for me) along with a mechanical advance distributor and other goodies, she'll pull your hat clean off your head.

Engine performance is a 'sum of all parts' endeavor.. sure, just raising compression alone is better than stock, but tossing all the other stuff to make it breathe better all the way through is addictive..

Hitman 05-04-2021 05:09 PM

Re: Anyone run a Lion Head
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Model A Ron (Post 2013524)
You must be kidding.....this thing is only 6.5 to 1??? I did not ask Bruce but I was thinking it was at least 8 to 1. I drove a car with the 6.1 head and it was a kitten compared to the Lion Head. As an engineer I can appreciate all the R&D that went into this gem.

Ron

They could be ordered with different compression ratios, that maybe what happened in the example you test drove/rode.

If it were me, I'd go with a reproduction iron Winfield head that Tod in Ohio makes. He's on the Fordbarn and occasionally posts updates on his head and block production runs.

hardtimes 05-04-2021 05:24 PM

Re: Anyone run a Lion Head
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Model A Ron (Post 2013509)
I was just visiting a fell Club member and he had a car with a Lion Head on it that ran amazing. I could not believe how hard the car would pull and it seems to be a very good addition for people who wish to go over 40 mph. I could be wrong but the Lion Head seams to be the best thing since canned beer and sliced bread.

Comments welcome as I was considering getting a 6.1 head before seeing and experiencing this Engineering Marvel. With this much power my only concern is knocking out the bearings.

Thanks
Ron

Check past threads. Plenty has been said/reported regarding LION HEADS...1,11 and 111 models.
I owned /used a LH 111 for years. GOOD head.
I declined first and second iteration. Read the past threads/reports !
Why did I sell it ?
For more $ than paid.... after years of running on a hot B.
Also got better head.

Dale G. 05-04-2021 06:13 PM

Re: Anyone run a Lion Head
 

I have a Lion Head III in the box. Will sell for $350. 904-731-0367 Eastern Time.

alexiskai 05-04-2021 06:19 PM

Re: Anyone run a Lion Head
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardtimes (Post 2013604)
Also got better head.

Oh no, now hes gonna want that one. [emoji16]

McMimmcs 05-04-2021 06:29 PM

Re: Anyone run a Lion Head
 

Read a very controversial previous Ford Barn post on the subject.

alexiskai 05-04-2021 09:05 PM

Re: Anyone run a Lion Head
 

Exactly ten years ago tomorrow!
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36213

Ron, have you sampled the Buttermore "crowfoot" 7:1 yet? That's the one I hear most frequently mentioned as a rival to the Lion III.

Model A Ron 05-04-2021 10:23 PM

Re: Anyone run a Lion Head
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexiskai (Post 2013677)
Exactly ten years ago tomorrow!
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36213

Ron, have you sampled the Buttermore "crowfoot" 7:1 yet? That's the one I hear most frequently mentioned as a rival to the Lion III.

No I have not tried the Buttermore "crowfoot" 7:1 yet.....may I ask what is so controversial about the Lion Head?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.