The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Ford Blue Hub cap paint? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=288053)

rockfla 10-02-2020 06:44 AM

Ford Blue Hub cap paint?

Anyone paint their own hub caps? Suggestions on a good match of the "Ford" blue paint OR have a mix formula that you use? I "quick" checked a few like Third Gen, Mac's, Carpenters, Snyder's and a forum check here but did not find any thing. I will call Mike at 10am but in the mean time figured I would toss a line out here on the barn. ALSO any pointers on best found techniques...I have to paint to "Locking" caps!!! Thanks "Barner's" and Happy Friday to all.

Jersey Devil 10-02-2020 07:26 AM

Re: Ford Blue Hub cap paint?

2 Attachment(s)
or Reflex Blue (155L). One shot is used by sign painters and widely available.

My hub caps are Process Blue.

rockfla 10-02-2020 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jersey Devil (Post 1937401)

Thank you very much!!!!

DavidG 10-02-2020 09:46 AM

Robert,

The original name of the color was "Harding Blue", but one of the One-Shot sign painter blues is a very good match. I should know which one off the top of my head, but not today. My recollection is leaning toward the Reflex Blue.

rockfla 10-02-2020 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidG (Post 1937447)
Robert,

The original name of the color was "Harding Blue", but one of the One-Shot sign painter blues is a very good match. I should know which one off the top of my head, but not today. My recollection is leaning toward the Reflex Blue.

I know color and hue is hard to judge from a picture PLUS ad in the lenses ability of light transmission BUT based on Jersey Devil's post above, the "Process Blue" looks too blue OR by my eye needs to be a shade or two darker.......SO I think your memory is correct David in that the Reflex Blue is the ticket!!!

cmbrucew 10-02-2020 10:37 AM

Rockfla

Check the dollar tree for nail enamel. Built in brush.

drolston 10-02-2020 11:28 AM

Just painted in Ford on my '41 coupe hubcaps. Takes a steady hand. Lighting the work area is tricky because of reflections; had to turn off the overhead lights and illuminate the hubcap from the side, to shadow the edges of the indented letters. Used a sharpened popsicle stick dipped in a little cup of xylol to scrape and wipe off the inevitable bits of paint that went outside of the lines. Looks pretty good from a few feet away.

nelsb01 10-02-2020 02:27 PM

Pin stripping tape is a good edge maker when doing detail work such as this.
It gives you that "cushion" of error and when the paint is dry, you remove it and have a straight clean edge.

rockfla 10-02-2020 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nelsb01 (Post 1937539)
Pin stripping tape is a good edge maker when doing detail work such as this.
It gives you that "cushion" of error and when the paint is dry, you remove it and have a straight clean edge.

Yes, I got a roll of 1/8th which I think will work swimmingly on the majority of the cap, the "centers" of the "8" will be "TIGHT" so we'll see how that goes!!!! ALSO Sign Painters also sells a "Flow Enhancer" so that will be in order too!!!

marko39 10-02-2020 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jersey Devil (Post 1937401)

Is this correct for a 39 hubcaps and bumper center? Where do you get it?

Kube 10-02-2020 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockfla (Post 1937546)
Yes, I got a roll of 1/8th which I think will work swimmingly on the majority of the cap, the "centers" of the "8" will be "TIGHT" so we'll see how that goes!!!! ALSO Sign Painters also sells a "Flow Enhancer" so that will be in order too!!!

This is the stuff I use. The paint dries a bit slower but flows out well, eliminating any brush marks. It is Reflex Blue...

Rustyspokes 10-02-2020 05:26 PM

I Found that Testors Enamel # 1111 Dark Blue was a very good match, Shops that sell Models sell the paint, here in Canada , Toys R Us has the Testors Paint.

Jersey Devil 10-02-2020 06:04 PM

Mario 39

Go into the One Shot Paint web site and there is a location finder by zip code. Usually art supply and hobby shops sell the paint. Pinstripes also use One Shot paint. If you go on there Website they have a color chart.

Hope this helps,

Tom

40ford 10-03-2020 08:36 AM

If your just purchasing new hubcaps I think Drake has them already painted.Decals hold up pretty good for a quick fix!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-hubcap...-/282568872262

rockfla 10-03-2020 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jersey Devil (Post 1937593)
Mario 39

Go into the One Shot Paint web site and there is a location finder by zip code. Usually art supply and hobby shops sell the paint. Pinstripes also use One Shot paint. If you go on there Website they have a color chart.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Amazon/Amazon Prime