The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Drive shaft balance? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=288194)

Talkwrench 10-04-2020 07:53 PM

Drive shaft balance?

Has anyone ever balanced their drive shaft? While I have everything apart it just a thought ..

51 MERC-CT 10-04-2020 08:11 PM

Re: Drive shaft balance?

Open or closed??
If open, yes, after installing a new yoke.

JSeery 10-04-2020 08:15 PM

I always balance open driveshafts, but have never done a closed one.

cas3 10-04-2020 09:57 PM

on model T's we static balance the solid shaft. sometimes they are off quite a bit, and its nice to see them spin true

Talkwrench 10-05-2020 12:00 AM

No closed, with center bearing .

Kube 10-05-2020 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talkwrench (Post 1938223)
No closed, with center bearing .

I never have. I've never had an issue either.

JSeery 10-05-2020 09:05 AM

Because of the small diameter, short of being bent, it shouldn't be an issue.

V8COOPMAN 10-05-2020 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSeery (Post 1938302)
Because of the small diameter, short of being bent, it shouldn't be an issue.

I'd have to concur completely with that thinking....SOLID shaft! DD

rotorwrench 10-05-2020 11:24 AM

As was already mentioned, the small diameter and the fact that is is solid have a lot to do with whether an imbalance will affect it. The whipping of a solid shaft can be a problem so Ford used a damper like most drive systems with long shafting. A larger tubular shaft has no mass on it's center line due to being hollow and many are welded tube so they are very much affected. Whipping is generally not a problem on shorter hollow tube shafts but longer ones need the added stability under large torque loads. A lot depends on diameter and length.

quik 10-05-2020 12:26 PM

Why do you think you need to balance the driveshaft?

Pete 10-05-2020 03:01 PM

I had one in the balancer once. I did not have a lathe long enough at the time to check it between centers for straight so I laid it in the balancer and rolled it by hand with an indicator on it. It was bent. I straightened it and then spun it just for kicks to see if it was out of balance any. It wasn't.

grumppyoldman 10-05-2020 06:49 PM

I would replace the center shaft bearing while you have it apart if you are concerned it might vibrate. Al

Talkwrench 10-05-2020 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quik (Post 1938396)
Why do you think you need to balance the driveshaft?

Not really a matter of needing too, it's more if anyone has looked into it. It is a long shaft that turns hundreds of rpm Im sure they're not perfect.

Pete what was the method you used to straighten the shaft?

I had it in a lathe yesterday just to touch up where the center bearing runs and did notice a bit of a wobble on the uni end, shaft was held in the chuck roughly in the middle.

cmbrucew 10-05-2020 07:45 PM

If you are good you might straighten it yourself with two knife edged vee stands and a torch. other wise take it to a machine shop with a long lathe.

Bruce

Pete 10-05-2020 08:02 PM

Dial indicate half then turn it around and do the other end. As long as it runs true in the chuck and the tail center runs true, you should be able to check it ok.

I used heat to straighten it. Heat it on the high side and cool quick with a wet rag or if the lathe has coolant use that. DO NOT heat it enough to turn it color. It will usually take several times to get it straight. Be sure to dial it over the whole length.

Talkwrench 10-05-2020 08:20 PM

Thanks for that!

Talkwrench 10-05-2020 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grumppyoldman (Post 1938523)
I would replace the center shaft bearing while you have it apart if you are concerned it might vibrate. Al

done recently

quik 10-06-2020 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talkwrench (Post 1938532)
Not really a matter of needing too, it's more if anyone has looked into it. It is a long shaft that turns hundreds of rpm Im sure they're not perfect.

Just curious, usually this comes from chasing a vibration. Looks like your trying to eliminate the potential for a vibration.

Talkwrench 10-06-2020 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quik (Post 1938766)
Just curious, usually this comes from chasing a vibration. Looks like your trying to eliminate the potential for a vibration.

Yes just double checking any possibilities.
I did go past a drive shaft balancing place yesterday just to get an opinion. He quite simply said I wont piss in your pocket nothing that can be done that would be worth it.. So thats the end of that..:p

quik 10-07-2020 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talkwrench (Post 1938904)
Yes just double checking any possibilities.
I did go past a drive shaft balancing place yesterday just to get an opinion. He quite simply said I wont piss in your pocket nothing that can be done that would be worth it.. So thats the end of that..:p

At least he didn't take the job and steal your money.

Good luck!