The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Can anyone recommend a good 6V timing light? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282666)

shew01 06-16-2020 06:00 AM

Can anyone recommend a good 6V timing light?

The previous owner installed a Nu-Rex timing indicator on the front of the engine, and he left me the vendor instructions. However, I don't have a 6 volt timing light.

Can anyone recommend a good 6 volt timing light?

BRENT in 10-uh-C 06-16-2020 06:32 AM

Re: Can anyone recommend a good 6V timing light?

Use a buzz box, a test light, or a continuity tester instead. Align the mark on the pulley to whatever the desired degree number on the indicator, and then the points should just break or open at that location.

Jim Baskin III Pa. 06-16-2020 07:02 AM

I have Pertronix 6v Ignition in my distributor and Nurex timing indicator and have used a 12v timing light for the past 12 yrs.I just have to reverse the leads for power.

DBSHELTON 06-16-2020 07:14 AM

I use a battery operated timing light.

Jim/GA 06-16-2020 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shew01 (Post 1899629)
The previous owner installed a Nu-Rex timing indicator on the front of the engine, and he left me the vendor instructions. However, I don't have a 6 volt timing light.

Can anyone recommend a good 6 volt timing light?

My timing light connects to the battery for power. I originally got it for my 12 volt cars (back when you could actually set the timing on a car -- ha ha ha). It works just fine on my 6 volt Model A.

Just pay attention to the color of the battery leads. The red one goes to ground, if the car is wired to original positive ground. Then the black one goes to a power source; I use one of the brass wing nuts on the cover of the terminal box.

My timing light uses inductive pickup (a small black end clamps around the ignition lead for plug #1). This is trickier to do with the original style bronze strips connecting from distributor body to spark plug. I slip a short piece of clear tubing over the bronze strip first, to insulate it from the induction pickup, then clamp over that. It works.

:cool:

Bob from Northport 06-16-2020 07:39 AM

Check Ebay for 6v Snap On timing light

ryanheacox 06-16-2020 08:01 AM

The timing pin works great on 6, 8 or 12V :D

Ruth 06-16-2020 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob from Northport (Post 1899650)
Check Ebay for 6v Snap On timing light

I would never buy a Snap-On timing light (or anything else electrical). I had one and it spent more time being repaired than in use. Great hand tools but their electronics SUCK.

Y-Blockhead 06-16-2020 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim/GA (Post 1899646)
My timing light uses inductive pickup (a small black end clamps around the ignition lead for plug #1). This is trickier to do with the original style bronze strips connecting from distributor body to spark plug. I slip a short piece of clear tubing over the bronze strip first, to insulate it from the induction pickup, then clamp over that. It works.

:cool:

Oh, Boy ain't that the truth. I connected my advancing timing light to the bronze strip and when I pulled the trigger I got the shock of my life. I have a 12v Pertronix Flamethrower coil so that made it even more lively.

Not a good thing when you have a Pacemaker... :eek: :eek:

tnhammond 06-16-2020 09:30 AM

This battery powered timing light works quite well. Just slip an insulating sleeve over the number 1 bronze strap.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bruce_MO 06-16-2020 09:47 AM

I have powered my 12V timing light with my 6V/12V battery charger... just select 12V and power it up.