The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   1930 Cabriolet front apron question (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238534)

kimeccles 02-03-2018 03:45 PM

1930 Cabriolet front apron question

My front apron under the radiator has 4 screws that go into the sides into long bolts with female ends for screws. This seems normal and I assume the screws are black along with their lock washers.

However on top of where it meets my front fenders there are also 2 holes on each side at the top, yet my front splash guard seems to only have one hole at the very front of it that may attach. The two holes in the back don't seem to do anything? I must have something wrong again and seriously could anything else go wrong??

Dumbest thing I ever did was let someone else dismantle this car who then did not remember what went where...and so I have a box of bolts that I don't even know where they go.

any ideas about the front apron extra bolt holes in the fenders?

thanks.

Ed in Maine 02-03-2018 05:06 PM

Re: 1930 Cabriolet front apron question

Is the splash apron a reproduction part? Ed

Larry Jenkins 02-03-2018 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimeccles (Post 1588169)
My front apron under the radiator has 4 screws that go into the sides into long bolts with female ends for screws. This seems normal and I assume the screws are black along with their lock washers.

However on top of where it meets my front fenders there are also 2 holes on each side at the top, yet my front splash guard seems to only have one hole at the very front of it that may attach. The two holes in the back don't seem to do anything? I must have something wrong again and seriously could anything else go wrong??

Dumbest thing I ever did was let someone else dismantle this car who then did not remember what went where...and so I have a box of bolts that I don't even know where they go.

any ideas about the front apron extra bolt holes in the fenders?

thanks.

Les Andrews books.

jw hash 02-03-2018 06:17 PM

yes the four 1/4" fine threaded screws with lock washers are correct and are black the four 1/4-20 oval head screws on top of the fenders, two go down through the frame and the front two go down through the front splash apron and they are painted black also.

Larry Jenkins 02-03-2018 07:26 PM

4 side screws oval head with no visible washers?

burner31 02-04-2018 10:10 AM

Pictures...need pictures.

Easy way for pics:
Click the "blue post reply" lower left bottom of page, when text box opens, in the top middle of the bar you will see a "paperclip" click that, a window will open "manage attachments" click "choose file" then pick your picture, after you picked up to seven pics click the top "upload" on the right hand side of the text box, wait for it to upload.
You must type something, anything into the text box message, scroll down to see "preview post" at bottom of your text box, you should see your message as it will appear when you post, if you like it click "submit reply" to post.
Easy-cheesy

kimeccles 02-04-2018 10:16 AM

Thanks for the details. Mine is an original part and the info on screw sizes and descriptions was great. Thanks.

burner31 02-04-2018 10:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Are these the screws you are talking about?
I left mine shiney because I like they way they look.

kimeccles 02-10-2018 11:26 AM

Yes. It took a while to get it aligned but it finally went on correctly. Thanks everyone

grantsauder 02-10-2018 12:57 PM

The two holes in the back of the apron are to have a felt riveted to it to provide a noise and vibration between the two parts. See Bratton's #22050. Grant

grantsauder 02-10-2018 01:01 PM

Sorry: It's to prevent noise and vibration between the two parts. Grant

kimeccles 02-11-2018 05:36 PM

grantsauder,

Thanks. Luckily I did use correct felt on the apron even with the right rivet tool before this install. Very good advice to newbies like me.

I seem to have to get stainless bolts to get the right size a lot of times. Then paint black. Seems crazy but so was this idea of an easy restoration....LOL