The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Changed my steering column mount today! (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279444)

Neil Mylar LakewoodCA 04-14-2020 07:50 PM

Changed my steering column mount today!

1 Attachment(s)
A couple of years ago my the gas tank started leaking at the steering column mount, in my 1929 Tudor.
I removed the tank, had it cleaned out, and re-sodered.
I've done other things to the car and hope to get it back and running in the next week or two.
Since my car is a driver, I decided to add a 30/31 steering column mount to prevent the tank from leaking again.
I dont remember who it was, but I owe a big thanks to the person who posted pictures on how to do it.

Here is a picture of the results.

You might notice one of the cowl vents that I installed in my car, along with the floor mounted heater vent, that I still need to hook up.

Jack Shaft 04-14-2020 08:03 PM

Re: Changed my steering column mount today!

Like the crotch coolers..Henry Ford's personal 28 coupe had them as well.

Another nice thing about the 30/31 column bracket is can be drilled and used as a platform for more gauges/switches/doohickeys as needed.

PalAl 04-14-2020 10:27 PM

Looks great Neil!
Has anyone completed this changeover on a 29 Briggs Fordor body?
Because of the tank not being part of the cowl mounting looks..... well ??????
Can it be done?? Have you done it?? Discription and pictures please

The Master Cylinder 04-14-2020 11:07 PM

I noticed tha t the 30/31 mount is not available from the vendors. If you are going to do this conversion you may want to locate one before they are unobtainable? I see the price has gone up (what else is new?) on ePay.

David R. 04-15-2020 06:13 AM

I found one at a swap meet for $10

DBSHELTON 04-15-2020 06:39 AM

How thick is the flatbar spacer? 3/8"? 1/2"?

marty in Ohio 04-15-2020 06:59 AM

Good for you, David. I called Snyder's a couple months ago and was told they are basically "not available at this time."
Marty

Synchro909 04-15-2020 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marty in Ohio (Post 1874597)
Good for you, David. I called Snyder's a couple months ago and was told they are basically "not available at this time."
Marty

RHD ones have never been available here (No Model As sold in 1931) so I made my own. It's not hard to do.

burner31 04-15-2020 05:25 PM

Looks good Neil, do you have/going to put the dash rail back on, would look very sweet then.
Can you put the bottom half of the old support on just to dress it up or would that defeat the purpose?

vic 04-15-2020 05:31 PM

Was this a commercially made product,if so who might have it in stock ? or did you manufacture it yourself ? Looks very neat
cheers Vic

vic 04-15-2020 05:34 PM

Hello my Aussie mate, any chance of a photo or diagram of the one you made? something I would like to have a go at.
Vic.....NZ

CarlG 04-15-2020 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burner31 (Post 1874924)
Looks good Neil, do you have/going to put the dash rail back on, would look very sweet then.
Can you put the bottom half of the old support on just to dress it up or would that defeat the purpose?

You can use the bottom half of the clamp ok, just don’t put the rubber insulator on it.

quickchange 04-15-2020 06:39 PM

We produce the Right hand drive one in New Zealand, Which is different than the LHD one because of the angle, winters coming here, may even arrived,

Neil Mylar LakewoodCA 04-15-2020 07:08 PM

I used a 3/8 inch piece of steel.
I bought it at home depot.
It was 2 inches wide and 36 inches long.

I cut out a piece that was 1 and 1/4 inches wide by 7 and 1/2 inches long. The plans called for (3/8 X 1 X 7).

That is a good idea. I will put a bottom piece on the original one, without the rubber.

I'll post another picture with that lower bracket on, plus the dash rail when I am finished.

vic 04-16-2020 12:11 AM

Hi Quickchange,I need RH drive one,can you tell me where they are available ?many thanks.....vic,nz

Mad Mac 04-17-2020 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro909 (Post 1874607)
I made my own. It's not hard to do.

I would like to make a bracket for my 28-29 RPU but cannot see how it would fit without damaging or cutting into the upper dash panel. Any ideas?

Randy in ca 04-17-2020 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Mac (Post 1875866)
I would like to make a bracket for my 28-29 RPU but cannot see how it would fit without damaging or cutting into the upper dash panel. Any ideas?

This old thread has several pictures (post #8) as well as links to other threads (for a LHD vehicle).

https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?p=68103

Synchro909 04-17-2020 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vic (Post 1874930)
Hello my Aussie mate, any chance of a photo or diagram of the one you made? something I would like to have a go at.
Vic.....NZ

I bought a LHD one to see what they were like. I then cut it up to make a pattern. It looks the same as the one in the picture in post #1 but doesn't have the hole at the top. I put two ribs across the back to be drilled and tapped to hold a plate for extra instruments or warning lights, like indicators
On my latest installations, I have fabricate one by cutting off the clamp under the tank (won't be used again anyway), clamping it to the steering column and making something to connect it to the rail behind the dash. All then welded together.
Sorry, I've given up trying to upload pictures on this site - it never works.

jb-ob 04-17-2020 08:30 PM

Neil,

I installed a cowl vent from an early Briggs in my later Briggs. Since it opens to exactly where the hood louvers vent, I can both see if my water pump is leaking on my running board apron and smell it.

The idea probably looked great on Ford's drawing board.

jb

Floats 04-18-2020 07:03 AM

Hi Synchro,
Could I impose on you to send me some photos direct.
[email protected]
Much appreciated.