The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Temperature Sender (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284850)

drolston 07-31-2020 12:16 PM

Temperature Sender

My temp gauge reads about one increment high. When the water temp (measured by temp gun) is at 160 (should be the center mark) it reads 180 (the mark half way from center to the Hot mark).

The gauge seems okay. It buries on the hot side when open circuit, and buries to the cold side if the sender wire is briefly shorted to ground.

The right side (single connection) sender is a reproduction. I can not find a NOS or used original unit.

Is there a source for OEM senders?
Is it worth $45 to try a new repro sender? If so, are they all the same, or is there a better quality supplier?

tubman 07-31-2020 12:59 PM

Re: Temperature Sender

I would try Fred at Southside Obsolete (barnfind08 on here); he seems to have more NOS stuff than just about anyone. I have heard the repop senders aren't very accurate and are also short-lived. I might have a good used one in my stash if all else fails.

19Fordy 07-31-2020 01:13 PM

Go with what your temp gun reads and then recalibrate the gauge reading in your mind.
Over time the bimetallic heat strips inside the sender and the gauge may wear out just a little and not give perfectly accurate readings. Plus all temp sending units in the heads are not calibrated the same. So, a replacement may vary the readings.

Ross F-1 07-31-2020 01:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't know about the earlier gauges, but 48-on can be adjusted. Adjustments must be VERY small or the gauge will go crazy. One adjusts Zero, the other readings. According to the 48-51 Truck manual, you calibrate by connecting the gauge to a D-cell battery and adjust til it shows 50% of range.

Ggmac 07-31-2020 07:14 PM

1980 ford gauges are near identical , more plastic but look the same . I remember osing the guts of a 80s ford something to repair a 46 or 48 ford gauge . Worked great . The 80 ford gauge cluster had a bi metal strip thing with the connections of 9 v transistor battery .
Ive got some already disassembled somewhere .

paul2748 07-31-2020 07:19 PM

Go with 91fordy's advice. Since you know that 160 is really 180, that is your standard. Any variation of what it normally reads can be checked out.

I do the same with the temp gauge on my 54. Usual reading is about 3/4 towards cold. If it differs significantly from that I start checking things.

drolston 07-31-2020 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul2748 (Post 1915297)
Go with 91fordy's advice. Since you know that 160 is really 180, that is your standard. Any variation of what it normally reads can be checked out.

I do the same with the temp gauge on my 54. Usual reading is about 3/4 towards cold. If it differs significantly from that I start checking things.

Yeah, I get that, but ..... If the gauge were biased toward cold, I would be fine with it. But it is biased toward hot, so when the needle gets to the hot mark, the temp is really about 190, which is expected on a long climb on a hot day. But then it heads off scale and I don't know if the temp is 200 or boiling over.

For that reason, I want a fix.

drolston 07-31-2020 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross F-1 (Post 1915162)
I don't know about the earlier gauges, but 48-on can be adjusted. Adjustments must be VERY small or the gauge will go crazy. One adjusts Zero, the other readings. According to the 48-51 Truck manual, you calibrate by connecting the gauge to a D-cell battery and adjust til it shows 50% of range.

Can that adjustment be made from the back of the instrument, or do you have to remove and disassemble?

aussie merc 07-31-2020 11:42 PM

gauges are notorious for being off so long as their consistent you can work with them some manufactures dont put numbers on them just zones [yellow green red etc ] so long as it stays around the same point its good what you look for is a sudden change