The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New armature too big? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221093)

Ctillberg 05-19-2017 10:15 PM

New armature too big?

3 Attachment(s)
Hi all, attempting a rebuild on my starter for my 29 leatherback.
When installing the new armature to check for end play I find that in fact it's dimensions are larger than the original leaving zero end play at all and it will not move whe the housing is screwed together.
The mounting end bushing is nowhere even near coming into play here and in the photos you can see how different the two are when sitting on the mounting plate end....thoughts????

Mike V. Florida 05-19-2017 10:36 PM

Re: New armature too big?

How do the two armatures compare when side by side and not in the case?
What is the diameter of the shaft on the non-commutator end on the armature as compared to the original?

Tom Wesenberg 05-20-2017 07:42 AM

I'm wondering why the armature was replaced? They rarely fail.

I leave the bushing as far towards the outer end of the housing as possible, for the best armature shaft support near the working end.
I see this bushing is quite recessed. OOPS, this is the inner end. Need to see the other side of the end plate.

jimvette59 05-20-2017 08:14 AM

#1 Where does the brushes ride on the new commutator ?
#2 Is the rear plate correct for that starter ?
#3 I can see that the old arm. did not go into the bushing all the way.
#4 I can also see that the brushes on the old commutator caused improper ware and ruined that commutator. I think you got Apples and Pears. JMHO.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 05-20-2017 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 1474876)
I'm wondering why the armature was replaced? They rarely fail.

My Snap-On growler indicates it will have a segment that is shorted. What am I missing?

quickchange 05-20-2017 03:09 PM

I believe a V8 one is a fraction larger in diameter pos a little longer. check you received an A one & not V8 one, winter has arrived , 0 degrees this morning .

Tom Wesenberg 05-20-2017 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quickchange (Post 1475085)
I believe a V8 one is a fraction larger in diameter pos a little longer. check you received an A one & not V8 one, winter has arrived , 0 degrees this morning .

Thanks Quickchange.

quickchange 05-21-2017 12:45 AM

Tom starter armature is different than a generator armature , he is talking starter , & yes V8 genny one is different & has external thread,

eagle 05-21-2017 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quickchange (Post 1475085)

I think it arrived here too. The other morning it was 36f, which is 2 degrees c. Wishing for summer...:confused:

Ctillberg 05-21-2017 04:41 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Sorry for the late response guys.
Well, the two units are absolutely identical in all dimensions that I can measure.
I'm replacing the armature because of the badly unevenly worn commutator, which would not likely allow new brushes to ride flat.
The bushings are both sitting towards the outside of the casing, and do not interfere in any way.
There were originally two thrust washers on the armature, and I've only got the one in now on the commmutator end.
I can spin the armature until I tighten the case screws the last 1/8th turn. It's not off by much really.

quickchange 05-21-2017 05:13 PM

so its end float not diameter that's the problem . easy fix , do the bushes while apart if needed, Warmer today but hey its winter so get to play indoors .

Ctillberg 05-21-2017 05:21 PM

Got new brushes, no problem, what's the easy fix? The end bushings aren't in play, so don't see what adjustments would be possible. I must be missing something..

Russ/40 05-21-2017 05:25 PM

I don't understand why the brush plate is open at the back bushing. Perhaps that's the problem area. The old one passed further through than the new. Wrong end plate??

Tom Wesenberg 05-21-2017 07:42 PM

Any chance the brush end plate got bent forward due to being dropped?

What happens if you leave out the thrust washer, or use a thinner one?

Growley bear 05-22-2017 07:25 AM

Looks like a raised shoulder on the new armature at the drive end as compared to the used armature.