The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Darkening original engine bolts... (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200735)

Special Coupe Frank 07-17-2016 07:58 PM

Darkening original engine bolts...

I searched the Forum earlier today, looking for info about recreating the blackish, "Raven" finish on original engine bolts.

Let me say that I am NOT building a "points car", but would like to come close to correct appearance.

I saw some comments about cleaning the bolts ( de-grease, wire-brush ), heating with a torch, then dunking in used motor-oil.

Can someone suggest a temperature to heat the bolts to if I were to heat the bolts in a pan, say in the oven or gas-grille (don't tell my wife!) ?

It would be a lot more expedient ( and controlled ) to heat a batch of bolts in a controlled manner than for me to do one at time in a flame... ;)

Thanks !

Frank

Tom Wesenberg 07-17-2016 09:29 PM

Re: Darkening original engine bolts...

I use G-96 gun blueing to darken mine. It does a great job, and as soon as I finish with the blueing I use ATF to oil them and keep the rust away.

I never had luck with Birchwood-Casey, but a guy in our club has made some nice specialty Model A tooling and used BC to darken the parts, and they came out perfect. I must have had a bad jar of the liquid.

Mike V. Florida 07-18-2016 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Special Coupe Frank (Post 1325433)
I searched the Forum earlier today, looking for info about recreating the blackish, "Raven" finish on original engine bolts.

Let me say that I am NOT building a "points car", but would like to come close to correct appearance.

I saw some comments about cleaning the bolts ( de-grease, wire-brush ), heating with a torch, then dunking in used motor-oil.

Can someone suggest a temperature to heat the bolts to if I were to heat the bolts in a pan, say in the oven or gas-grille (don't tell my wife!) ?

It would be a lot more expedient ( and controlled ) to heat a batch of bolts in a controlled manner than for me to do one at time in a flame... ;)

Thanks !

Frank

Just before red hot.

captndan 07-18-2016 07:54 AM

I don't like the idea of heating bolts. Gun bluing works just fine IMHO.

msmaron 07-18-2016 05:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is the best to use

jetmek 07-18-2016 06:44 PM

If your not looking for high points judging just paint them it will hold up better.

CT Jack 07-18-2016 08:56 PM

The raven finish you are looking for is technically called black oxide. If you have a shop nearby that does heat treating and various types of metal plating and finishing they usual have the black oxide process. If you have a sizeable amount they might reprocess them for you. I have tried using naval jelly rust inhibitor which will turn bare steel to a matt black finish. I applied some to my antique tractor splined axle about 10 years ago and it still hasn't rusted.