The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Flywheel housing seal retainer gasket (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=311726)

36 ford vt 04-01-2022 06:41 PM

Flywheel housing seal retainer gasket

Looking for a gasket for a 48-52 truck flywheel housing seal retainer. I’ve checked with several sources and have been told they are no longer available on the market. Vanpelt has them listed but said they are not available.

Any help finding a gasket or maybe a way to fabricate one if they are not available would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mac VP 04-02-2022 06:11 AM

Re: Flywheel housing seal retainer gasket

Or……if anyone out there knows of a specialty molded rubber manufacturer in the USA,please pass that information on to me. I’m asking for specific knowledge of a company that will do small runs of parts. A general internet search just brings a zillion listings that would require too much time to sift through. We have a sample of the original parts involved. I’d certainly like to get the dust seal reproduced as we still get plenty of calls for it. Any help in this situation would be much appreciated.

rotorwrench 04-02-2022 01:01 PM

For a long time, Steele Rubber Products was one of the only producers of automotive rubber products. Rubber the right way came later. There seem to have been a few independents here and there or in house fabrication of certain rubber products by a few sources. Some of these companies have already gone by the wayside. I was fortunate to get some rare products for my 1951 Mercury cars while they were still being fabricated.

Getting companies to fabricate small runs of products is likely near impossible now unless they are satisfying their own needs and make a lot of extra stuff.

I would assume that the OP is referring to the 8RT-6424 lower rubber seal that has the V-shape of the housing it fits up to. A person should also look for the plate related part number that some sources use 8RT-6410-S. Break a leg on finding one. Some older outfits likely don't sell a lot of them but many older outfits are gone now.

barnfind08 04-02-2022 06:12 PM

I have those

tubman 04-02-2022 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barnfind08 (Post 2118385)
I have those

Not surprising. SSO is a great resource.

36 ford vt 04-03-2022 08:38 PM

Thanks for the help friends! I really appreciate it.

Barnfind08, can you provide info on how I can order one of these gaskets?

Thanks
Ron

barnfind08 04-03-2022 09:36 PM

507-332-6789 call tomorrow I will be gone for a little bit but leave a message