The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Jailbar panel pulled from blacberries (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=317992)

GB SISSON 09-08-2022 10:22 AM

Jailbar panel pulled from blacberries

7 Attachment(s)
I acquired this 1/2 ton panel about 6 or 7 years ago when I made a deal on 5 jailbar trucks over on the dry side of our state. It was a package deal. All 5 trucks and lots of good extra sheet metal, or nothing. I really was looking for a 1/2 ton PU with a title to build my woodie wagon on. The others were put under various roofs to await their fate. I am now down to just one, the panel. For whatever reason (lack of shed space?) the panel was parked alonside a shed and soon the blackberries and thistles took over. A week ago the only sign of a vehicle in the dense thicket was the two stainless headlight rings glinting in morning sun. The weather is great here in the fall and last weekend I tied a rope to this thing and yanked it out of it's thorney grave. Still air in the badly mismatched tires. One rear is a 31 10.50 15 on a stock innie 15" wheel. Yikes. I had to deal hard to get the excellent rear doors the PO had removed with a sawzall to use on a nicer '40 panel. One side of each hinge was cleanly cut and can easily be welded back together once I free up the hinges. I remember the body was pretty good for the age, but upon towing into my dry, dusty flat area I was rather surprised it had survived 6 rainey seasons in the berry patch and the tin was still very sound. All door bottoms are very solid, rear fenders are very good examples and very rare in this condition. The bottom edges show no thin spots at all. Yes it is beat up and has at least 20 bullet holes in it's hide, but that's no deterrent to me. The front fenders are not too good but I have a pair from a 1/2 ton pickup in my shop's attic that came with the same transaction. Same goes for running boards. I plan to spend this coming winter finishing up my other jailbar projects before I dive into this thing, but wanted to get it pressure washed, lubricated and sorted out and into a shed while it is still worth fixing. Notice I didn't say 'restoring'. OH, it has a G six and a 4 speed crash-box but I have a nice 59 ab on my run stand.

deuce_roadster 09-08-2022 10:30 AM

Re: Jailbar panel pulled from blacberries

Pretty amazing that the vegetation didn't hold moisture on the thing. Looks amazingly solid and complete. You can make it your shop vehicle to deliver cabinets and paint your name on the side!

Bored&Stroked 09-08-2022 10:35 AM

Can't wait to see what you do with this ole' beast! It looks to be in really sound shape and one you drop that 59AB in it, you should have a good rig. Lots of work to do, but my bet is that you'll have it on the road next Spring!

cas3 09-08-2022 11:00 AM

She's a dandy !

GB SISSON 09-08-2022 11:13 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Few more... Looks like the Feds were trying to take out the driver.

rotorwrench 09-08-2022 11:44 AM

Those new air vents gotta go. I hate fixing bullet holes. I like to use magnets to hold the patches but with little patches I have to be careful when tacking them in. I don't want to ruin my magnets.

petehoovie 09-08-2022 12:11 PM

"the panel was parked alonside a shed and soon the blackberries and thistles took over. A week ago the only sign of a vehicle in the dense thicket was the two stainless headlight rings glinting in morning sun."
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...8&d=1662650438

petehoovie 09-08-2022 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rotorwrench (Post 2164489)
Those new air vents gotta go. I hate fixing bullet holes. I like to use magnets to hold the patches but with little patches I have to be careful when tacking them in. I don't want to ruin my magnets.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...0&d=1662653941

petehoovie 09-08-2022 12:14 PM

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...6&d=1662653464
"Yes it is beat up and has at least 20 bullet holes in it's hide, but that's no deterrent to me."
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...7&d=1662653488

Zeke3 09-08-2022 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rotorwrench (Post 2164489)

Fitzee tacks a piece of welding rod to the center of the patch to provide a handle to hold the patch in place while tacking it in place. Check out Fitzee's Fabrications on You Tube for more information. I have used the technique once so far and it worked well for me using MIG. Thank goodness most of the holes are confined to the doors rather than every panel on the truck.

Also looking forward to this project, to see what you come up with.

corvette8n 09-08-2022 02:48 PM

Neat project Gary, what year is it exactly, be watching to see what you make out of this one.

A bones 09-08-2022 06:51 PM

WELL back in '84 a guy I worked with called me on a Saturday night excited to tell me he just bought new Corvette.
This here news is far more exciting.
Thanks for all the sharing you do.

flatford8 09-08-2022 07:15 PM

I’m looking forward to seeing what you make of it.......Mark

GB SISSON 09-08-2022 10:27 PM

First off, I DO know how to spell blackberries :) And I got to thinking about various sizes of fender washers to fix bullet holes. Maybe weld a 16d nail from the back. A handle and a plug all in one. But seriously folks, I can't start in on this thing right off, but putting it into proper mothballs after I get it clean and organized seems like a good Fall weekend well spent. I wonder If I should unload a couple cans of fluid film inside the doors and fenders. Pretty messy though. Perhaps a couple cans of WD40 every six months. Most of all it's getting it into a shed. Then on a dreary winter evening I can free up those stuck barn door hinges beside the woodstove and get the leaves welded back onto the barrels. Would be a big stride having the back doors on. The whole front clip is pretty ugly and it's gotta come off to pull the G6, so I could.........

tomcarman 09-08-2022 10:47 PM

I love the bullet holes! Tells a great story for would be onlookers to speculate on. Reminds me of a story in Hemmings Classic Car magazine? I read several years ago about a prohibition era car recovered from an upper floor of an industrial building that had been covered up for decades with a bullet hole at the top of the driver's door. Wish I could remember all the details of the article. I'll try and research it.

GB SISSON 09-09-2022 10:00 AM

Couple things I noted in looking at the bullet holes. There are two right on the curvature of the beltline and 3 on the top curvature at the side window opening where the bullet did not penetrate the steel. Made me wonder how many people survived over the years between war and prohibition etc, because of those stamped in curves. The holes are heavily concentrated at the chest of a driver. Not related, but the truck had been painted with the whole front clip an american flag. Obviously influenced by the film Easy Rider. Was Fonda's bike named 'Captain America'?

'36 5W 09-09-2022 11:08 AM

Ah, another diamond in the rough! If you aren't careful, Gary,
you are going to wind up w/ a fleet of just about every model
Ford offered(or wish they had)in the forties!
If memory serves, (and it usually does NOT), Capt. America
referred to Fonda himself?)

Mart 09-09-2022 11:55 AM

Ooh I'll look forward to seeing this one take shape. I'd like to think you'll do it much like I would, except for far better woodworking skills.

Mart.

GB SISSON 09-09-2022 12:03 PM

Thanks for the vote of confidence from so many. I find great pleasure in bringing these dead trucks around to a useable condition. Jailbars have been dirt cheap in comparison to the pre-war V8 vehicles.

flatford8 09-09-2022 12:40 PM

Yes his bike was “Captain America”. I think American Flags were painted on everything back then. That thing would make a good little camper……..Mark