The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Model A Distributor with Centrifugal Advance (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286432)

Sheldon Paulger 08-30-2020 07:07 PM

Model A Distributor with Centrifugal Advance

Is there a 4 cyl distributor with centrifugal advance available at auto wreckers that would fit a Model A (with minimum modifications)?

Thks
Sheldon

chrs1961815 08-30-2020 07:18 PM

Re: Model A Distributor with Centrifugal Advance

Not that I am aware of. Most distributors since the 50s and probably before have a gear on the bottom end of the shaft in the place a shaft retainer would be on the Model A. Also a lot of these distributors are longer than the Model A too - they have the length of both shafts built into the housing.

If you want centrifugal advance, go find a Mallory or B distributor.

30 Closed Cab PU 08-30-2020 09:44 PM

How about this? I do not know how well they work.

https://www.nurex.com/automatic-spar...-advance-12176

Synchro909 08-30-2020 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU (Post 1925948)

That link didn't work for me. :-(

johnneilson 08-30-2020 10:30 PM

In the current market these days I have found that VW and MG distributors can be modified to work
After the machine work is done the advance curve will need attention

John

nomadpsd 08-30-2020 10:41 PM

Just buy a FSI Zipper. Has centrifugal advance made for the Model A.

30 Closed Cab PU 08-30-2020 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro909 (Post 1925956)
That link didn't work for me. :-(

Maybe try

Do a google search for Nu-Rex

www.nurex.com

on line catalog

Featured products - Automatic Spark Timing system. or

Browse timing

Jack Shaft 08-30-2020 10:59 PM

I had heard early datsuns can be altered but the advance curve is wrong. Model B curve is correct but have design issues. FSI uses hall effect adaptive dwell.Period Mallory distributors for model A, Y 11 series are out there in dual or single point setups.

The Master Cylinder 08-30-2020 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU (Post 1925948)

http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/phillipsspark.htm

http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/nurexadvance.htm

john charlton 08-31-2020 03:24 AM

Prewar English small Fords had a distributor which is a straight drop in . They are fairly common at swap meets here You have to check the rotation as this small engine went to a chain drive camshaft there is an arrow on the rotor to indicate rotation .They should be about in the Antipodies (have I spelt that right ???)My son has one in his pickup and it works a treat . I cant recall what the advance is I must check .

John in sunny cool morning Suffolk County England .

Jack Shaft 08-31-2020 07:22 AM

The correct spark advance is 1 degree per 100 rpm,peak at 24 to 26 degrees max.Besides drivability mechanical advance eliminates detonation or spark knock, a cause of bearing failure.High compression reduces the tolerance for improper timing.The increase in engine efficiency is noticeable.

aermotor 09-04-2020 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Shaft (Post 1925977)
Period Mallory distributors for model A, Y 11 series are out there in dual or single point setups.

This is a straight away drop in, however, Mallory has been bought out several times and the 4 cylinder distributor parts are extremely hard to find.

John

jetrod 09-04-2020 08:10 AM

I use the nu-rex advance on my 2 A's-- they are a great upgrade and easy to install.

Jack Shaft 09-04-2020 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aermotor (Post 1927390)
This is a straight away drop in, however, Mallory has been bought out several times and the 4 cylinder distributor parts are extremely hard to find.

John

B points and condenser hard to find as well,along with a few internals.The B distributor has a design flaw,the breaker plate shaft/drive shaft get no lubrication and is small in diameter..you can get oil to it through modification.The FSI electronic distributor,either zipper A style or the stand alone industrial body style uses a hall effect style pickup and has adaptive dwell,spot on coil soak everytime.The biggest problem with the pertronix/FSI pickups is the need for clear voltage signal,tying it in with an old sketchy harness and grounds leads to failure.

Ruth 09-04-2020 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetrod (Post 1927431)
I use the nu-rex advance on my 2 A's-- they are a great upgrade and easy to install.

Me too. And as a side benefit it is fun to watch 'Ace Mechanics' in the group try to explain why I have so much "play" in my distributor drive. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

john in illinois 09-04-2020 04:16 PM

A friend got a Nurex advance with his new rebuilt engine and he likes it.
Had it a couple of years.

John

Synchro909 09-04-2020 04:48 PM

The advance built into these distributors is set for a standard engine with a standard head. We know that as compression rises, less advance is needed.
Does anybody have an idea on how much less advance is needed for a 5.5:1 head? Same question for other after market heads that are available all the way up to about 8 or 9 to 1.

Charlie Stephens 09-04-2020 08:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Shaft (Post 1927459)
B points and condenser hard to find as well,along with a few internals.The B distributor has a design flaw,the breaker plate shaft/drive shaft get no lubrication and is small in diameter..you can get oil to it through modification.The FSI electronic distributor,either zipper A style or the stand alone industrial body style uses a hall effect style pickup and has adaptive dwell,spot on coil soak everytime.The biggest problem with the pertronix/FSI pickups is the need for clear voltage signal,tying it in with an old sketchy harness and grounds leads to failure.

I solved the condenser problem by using a high quality Model A condenser from Brattons. I elongated the hole in the tab and added a pig tail. It went right in (see photo). I bought several sets of NOS points a few years ago and haven't checked their availability recently. If I was looking for points (or other Model B parts) I would start with Renner's Corner, (734) 428-8424.

Charlie Stephens

Perry 09-04-2020 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetrod (Post 1927431)

I have a 5.5 head, is this OK or do I need something else?

old31 09-05-2020 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadpsd (Post 1925968)
Just buy a FSI Zipper. Has centrifugal advance made for the Model A.

FYI. The fsi Zipper does not work with HC heads. I tried it and had to send it back. FSI admitted that it will not work.

I suggested that they say that in there advertising it is not intended for HC heads, but that went to deaf ears.