The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Cotter pins (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=188658)

jrd-28 02-07-2016 08:45 AM

Cotter pins

Hi all. Hardware question:

I opened up the bottom end of my '28 engine. It mostly looks pretty good in there, but some previous owner had the bottom end apart, and used 6-penny nails instead of cotter pins on the rods. Obviously, those need to get replaced :)

I see the parts lists calling for plain steel cotter pins. I have quite a few aircraft grade parts, in stainless. Is it ok to use what I have, or is there a reason to prefer plain steel over stainless for this application?

TIA . . .

Pilotdave 02-07-2016 09:00 AM

Re: Cotter pins

I'd think that you'd be fine to use up your stock of stainless cotter pins.....unless you are concerned about the next owner doing what you just did and concluding that some previous owner was a profligate spender. :) Henry used plain steel because they were adequate and would have been cheaper - if stainless pins were available at all.

burner31 02-07-2016 09:41 AM

He must have been a carpenter.

1wonton 02-07-2016 09:50 AM

You don't need cotter pins if the caps are tightened sufficiently.

Mike V. Florida 02-07-2016 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrd-28 (Post 1237129)
Hi all. Hardware question:

I opened up the bottom end of my '28 engine. It mostly looks pretty good in there, but some previous owner had the bottom end apart, and used 6-penny nails instead of cotter pins on the rods. Obviously, those need to get replaced :)

I see the parts lists calling for plain steel cotter pins. I have quite a few aircraft grade parts, in stainless. Is it ok to use what I have, or is there a reason to prefer plain steel over stainless for this application?

TIA . . .

That's just because that's what was used originally, and think about it they don't have much change to rust in the bottom end of an engine. Use what you have.

jrd-28 02-07-2016 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1wonton (Post 1237171)
You don't need cotter pins if the caps are tightened sufficiently.

Hmmm. I'll take your word for it, but I'm inclined to use them anyway. Call me paranoid :)

Mitch//pa 02-07-2016 10:23 AM

Use stainless

katy 02-07-2016 12:36 PM

If the nails are doing there job, leave them in there. Like the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Big hammer 02-07-2016 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katy (Post 1237296)
If the nails are doing there job, leave them in there. Like the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Or work on it till you break it :-)

BILL WILLIAMSON 02-07-2016 12:50 PM

I've NEVER seen a NAIL fail, when used instead of a cotter key! Years back, they were used a lot, even on the brakes. Folks were POOR. We once lived in a house with a DIRT kitchen floor.
Bill W.