The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   34 coupe floor info please (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273599)

cas3 12-04-2019 11:50 PM

34 coupe floor info please

so just trying to plan ahead, the v8 club book states that "all cars had a heavily insulated rubber floor mat in the front compartment". when i look at all the vendors options, they sell the rubber mat, but no description of what you are buying. when i look at my floor, yeah its pretty much flat up front, but to the rear even before the last hole for the seat tracks it starts to drop off and the torque tube tunnel starts. so, in other words it cant be flat rubber. so, how far back does the original mat go, what was the "heavy insulation" and who sells the correct parts? thanks, skip

FlatheadTed 12-05-2019 01:55 PM

Re: 34 coupe floor info please

Cas ,The matt comes maybe a 1" or so past the front of the track just under the lip of the seat you need to slot it for the track ,it has a separate piece to cover the transmission and a felt /Flock backing ,needs 4 buttons into the floor ,if you plan on stowing your battery under the floor the mat with disintegrate over time from bending it .My plan is to make a slide out draw deal to remove it from under the car ,my 35 has the optima battery on the frame rail under the hood and the ,mat is still in good shape ,the rear mat should be in three pieces and follows the tunnel with separate side bits at the doors ,that's a sedan that could be what they offer for a coup (same floor )

DavidG 12-05-2019 03:31 PM

The deluxe closed cars had carpeting in the rear compartment. The standard closed cars and open cars had mats in the rear compartment. The mats originally had a jute backing (bad idea as it absorbs water) except under the small mat over the transmission where no backing was used.

cas3 12-05-2019 03:42 PM

thanks. so if the mat stops near the front of the seat track, that would leave nothing along the seat/door opening, so even the coupe had another mat in the rear area behind the front mat? also, any idea who sells the best one? thanks, skip

DavidG 12-05-2019 04:12 PM

Unlike in '32 closed cars, cabriolets, and convertible sedans, no mat or carpet pieces along the sides of the front seats were used originally on '33-'34s.

David J 12-06-2019 02:59 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Clayton ,
Body parts list effective 8,1,34 shows a front mat as 40-730400-A .
Front pad shows as 40-700402 .
These are for model 720 [ 3w ] but fit many others .

Pics are phaeton and is the same front pad but not the same mat .

Rear mat and B pillar pics are for DavidG

DavidG 12-06-2019 04:21 PM

David,

Thanks!

David

cas3 12-06-2019 05:23 PM

david j, thanks. that car looks kinda wore out, are you sure you want to keep it? let me know if you change your mind!