The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Conventional oil and Synthetic oil (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275102)

Afordman31 01-08-2020 09:14 PM

Conventional oil and Synthetic oil

Been using 10W-30W Valvoline conventional oil in my Model A...finding out from the internet that it is being phased out.
I also read that the manufactures of new cars are recommending synthetic oils. Is it going to make a difference in the older cars?...checked oil tonight and some of the bottles of synthetic oil say recommended for vehicles with over 75,000 miles.
Appreciate your feedback.

Synchro909 01-08-2020 09:16 PM

Re: Conventional oil and Synthetic oil

I don't think your Model A will notice a difference. Your hip pocket might though!

Gary WA 01-08-2020 09:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
stick with what you have been using. Just change brands. all the same conventional oils.

mhsprecher 01-08-2020 09:41 PM

I use Mobil 1 in my Model A's, like I use in everything I have. Probably an unnecessary expense, but it's a better oil, so why not?

Flyboy1st 01-09-2020 07:40 AM

Synthetic oil has no equal in any engine. I have been working on aircraft in the Air Force for 37 years and there are no conventional oils used anywhere except maybe oiling access panel hinges if that is all that is available at the time. Had on old 1948 Harley that I used synthetic in and you couldn't find any sludge or wear after years of use, if you want to test the limits on oil it would be one of these old air cooled engines.

Bob Bidonde 01-09-2020 08:41 AM

I run synthetic blends and 100% synthetic oils in both of my Model "A" cars, and have been doing so for thousands of miles. Synthetic oil does make a difference in the Model "A" engine. Less wear!
I change the oil once a year regardless of mileage.

Beater 01-09-2020 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde (Post 1839493)
I run synthetic blends and 100% synthetic oils in both of my Model "A" cars, and have been doing so for thousands of miles. Synthetic oil does make a difference in the Model "A" engine. Less wear!
I change the oil once a year regardless of mileage.

I do prity much the same thing. 15-40 syn oil in mine change oil in the spring

ronn 01-10-2020 03:04 PM

I don't think your Model A will notice a difference. Your hip pocket might though!

5 QUARTS OF SYNTHETIC AT WALMART IS NOW 14.88

I ONLY RUN SYNTHETIC IN EVERYTHING-EVEN MY RIDING MOWER. IT DOESNT BREAK DOWN LIKE REG OIL

40 Deluxe 01-10-2020 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronn (Post 1839922)

I ONLY RUN SYNTHETIC IN EVERYTHING-EVEN MY RIDING MOWER. IT DOESNT BREAK DOWN LIKE REG OIL

But, does "regular" oil really "break down"? If so, under what conditions?

Synchro909 01-10-2020 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronn (Post 1839922)

I just checked: Synthetic oils in a deal with a filter included are on special at nearly $70 for 4 litres. I don't know of anybody who uses it and I don't wonder why.

ronn 01-10-2020 05:09 PM

But, does "regular" oil really "break down"? If so, under what conditions?

Ive used reg oil for years and at 3k miles, it is black as coal- from breaking down.

the synthetic will go 10k miles and look almost new. Noe obviously, if you dont have a filter, you wont get 10k miles out of your synth oil.
But my wifes honda synth oil looks terrific at 10k miles and I reuse the oil in my A's.

considering it is about the same price as reg oil here in the US- its a no brainer.
Yeah, you aussies have to pay to import everything. that does suck.

xelhan 01-10-2020 05:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)

I found this on the net some years ago - very interesting

fuzes45 01-11-2020 08:42 AM

Oil for vehicles over 75000 miles has additive to slightly swell seals to help prevent leakage.
Bob

Jacksonlll 01-11-2020 08:48 AM

Whatever you use, be sure to change it often. Keep clean oil in there. If the cost makes you keep it in there too long, don’t use it.

Bob Bidonde 01-11-2020 09:53 AM

I made a mistake using synthetic oil too soon in a recently rebuilt engine. The rings did not seat as soon as they should have, so I went back to conventional motor oil for 500 miles. I am now running Mobil 1 which is a synthetic blend.

The principal advantages of synthetic oil are:
> Less additives to wear out increasing the oil's service interval;
> Less additives so lower cost. 5 quarts of full synthetic can be had for about $18. Blends cost more because of their conventional oil content & additional processing, but they are still price competitive with conventional oil;
> Higher temperature operating range;
> Reduces friction & wear significantly.

xelhan 01-11-2020 10:29 AM

Bob you forgot 40% increased oil film strength - it's like having another half bearing extra. Also, it doesn't age like mineral oil - you can go by driving distance and disregard time gone by.