The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Looking for '49 wheat pennies (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308273)

CJStefan 12-30-2021 11:25 AM

Looking for '49 wheat pennies

Anybody have a pair they want to part with? Time to block those crossover passages. I'll use a different year than '49 but...well, you know

19Fordy 12-30-2021 11:35 AM

Re: Looking for '49 wheat pennies

If you don't find any wheat pennies, Canadian pennies were 98% copper during these years. I think Canada stopped minting pennies a few years ago.
1982–1996 2.5 g 98% copper, 1.75% tin, 0.25% zinc
1980–1981 2.8 g 98% copper, 1.75% tin, 0.25% zinc

There are 1949 Lincoln wheat pennies on Ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...penny&_sacat=0

51 MERC-CT 12-30-2021 12:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If you are not worried about the engine swallowing the pennies and causing internal damage, by all means use them.
Otherwise all that I have ever done is bend up a thin piece of (tin can) sheet metal that can be slid in to install or removed if not wanted without removing intake.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...5&d=1640885710

19Fordy 12-30-2021 01:01 PM

Now there is a very good idea.

Newc 12-30-2021 02:02 PM

Copper- use a piece of copper plumbing pipe smash it flat, and cut out what you need. two thicknesses available at any store. Newc

51woodie 12-30-2021 02:34 PM

I'm sure this question was asked many times, so what is the purpose of blocking off the crossovers? Less heat on the carb?

The pennies in the manifold reminded me of to two dimes under the bridge of my dad's fiddle. When asked why they were there, he would reply, "So I can say I'll never be broke."

petehoovie 12-30-2021 03:01 PM

https://www.usacoinbook.com/image/w6...wheat-cent.jpg

JM 35 Sedan 12-30-2021 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJStefan (Post 2089947)
Anybody have a pair they want to part with? Time to block those crossover passages. I'll use a different year than '49 but...well, you know

CJ, if you haven't found any '49 wheat back pennies yet, and still want to go that way to block heat riser holes in intake manifold, send me a Fordbarn pm with your name and address, and I'll send you some.

RKS.PA 12-30-2021 05:46 PM

I know the "traditional" way to block off the heat risers was to use pennies corresponding to the year of the car. But, I liked '51 Merc's idea of a piece of sheet metal. I bought two cheap stainless putty knives at Harbor Freight and "sacrificed" the handles. Worked very well, more than covered the holes, and won't get sucked into the engine, being held in place by the intake manifold.

And....I really do like the way she raps through my dual Smithy's !!! (Have acknowledged that at my age, there's no hope of my outgrowing the love of a "modest" sound of power!!!):D

36coupe 12-31-2021 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT (Post 2089962)
If you are not worried about the engine swallowing the pennies and causing internal damage, by all means use them.
Otherwise all that I have ever done is bend up a thin piece of (tin can) sheet metal that can be slid in to install or removed if not wanted without removing intake.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...5&d=1640885710

Will that interfere with the gasket sealing?

Bored&Stroked 12-31-2021 08:51 AM

I prefer a thin piece of stainless sheet metal - it won't rust out due to water vapor and other such fun . . .

Russ/40 12-31-2021 01:20 PM

The high zinc pennys were 1982 and after. Use any before then

ford38v8 12-31-2021 07:33 PM

Pennies won’t get sucked up, the holes are exhaust, not intake.
1/8” holes drilled in the Pennies keep the carb warm enough.
I’d also be concerned about vacuum leak by using a stainless shim.

RalphG 12-31-2021 08:47 PM

I must have missed the part explaining why you would want to block those passages. I think cold performance would be better with that crossover working the way it was designed.

tubman 12-31-2021 10:59 PM

"RalphG", it sounds like you're one of "those guys" who think the Ford engineers knew what they were doing. I'm one as well.

I don't see why this is necessary except for an all-out race engine. The proper manifolds for those don't have a provision for manifold heat anyway, so why bother?

RalphG 01-01-2022 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 2090513)
"RalphG", it sounds like you're one of "those guys" who think the Ford engineers knew what they were doing. I'm one as well.

I don't see why this is necessary except for an all-out race engine. The proper manifolds for those don't have a provision for manifold heat anyway, so why bother?

I would think that hot exhaust air would aid in preventing carburetor icing which can be a real problem here. My 52 Merc still has the heat riser valve in the right hand exhaust manifold.

51 MERC-CT 01-01-2022 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 51woodie (Post 2090000)
I'm sure this question was asked many times, so what is the purpose of blocking off the crossovers? Less heat on the carb?

The pennies in the manifold reminded me of to two dimes under the bridge of my dad's fiddle. When asked why they were there, he would reply, "So I can say I'll never be broke."

Quote:

Originally Posted by RalphG (Post 2090489)
I must have missed the part explaining why you would want to block those passages. I think cold performance would be better with that crossover working the way it was designed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 2090513)

Quote:

Originally Posted by RalphG (Post 2090533)
I would think that hot exhaust air would aid in preventing carburetor icing which can be a real problem here. My 52 Merc still has the heat riser valve in the right hand exhaust manifold.

Blocking the heat riser holes with pennies so far as I know never had anything to do with improving or modifying engine performance.
It was a fad that intended to change the exhaust sound that some thought was "cool"

Gene1949 01-01-2022 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT (Post 2090547)
Blocking the heat riser holes with pennies so far as I know never had anything to do with improving or modifying engine performance.
It was a fad that intended to change the exhaust sound that some thought was "cool"

Period correct pennies sounds just a bit anal:D

On a more serious note, as cranky as a flat motor is (timing, carb adjustment, fuel distribution and engine temperature) the very last thing I would do is remove the heat under the carb for a "cool sound".

51 MERC-CT 01-01-2022 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene1949 (Post 2090578)

Period correct pennies sounds just a bit anal:D

On a more serious note, as cranky as a flat motor is (timing, carb adjustment, fuel distribution and engine temperature) the very last thing I would do is remove the heat under the carb for a "cool sound".

But if you were experiencing 'vapor lock' it may be a step toward reducing the problem.

JT FORD 01-01-2022 12:10 PM

I always used a stripe cut out of a tin beer can. You don,t have to remove the manifold just loosen the bolts, raise one side and then the other side and sllip them in. I all ways removed them in the winter time.........