The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Mail order dual exhaust systems (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=290394)

34pickup 11-19-2020 01:35 PM

Mail order dual exhaust systems

Does anyone know of any parts stores that offer a dual exhaust system for home installation for a 1948 Ford passenger car?

All I can find are for earlier cars or "discontinued" deals. I can remember when you could order a set from J.C. Whitney but that was the last century...
The local muffler shop is kinda pricey for a custom job.

Automotive Stud 11-19-2020 01:45 PM

Re: Mail order dual exhaust systems

Well it's been a while, but I ordered a complete exhaust from Red's headers for my '47. It was complete headers to chrome tips.

marko39 11-19-2020 01:51 PM

Try Waldrons exhaust. I bought a single exhaust for my 39 and they have dual systems for most fords. It did cost 65.00 for the shipping but I don't think it would be much cheaper at local muff shop.

corvette8n 11-19-2020 02:13 PM

I just bought a set of pipes from the headers to the mufflers from Reds.

TJ 11-19-2020 04:02 PM

Ready made stuff is O.K. IF it fits. If it doesn't fit you wind up at the local muffler shop anyway. By the time you pay the shipping it's probably close to what a shop would cost.

Floyd 11-19-2020 04:05 PM

Red's Headers- this is what they do. (besides all kinds of engine parts). Everything will fit perfectly. Give em a call.

34pickup 11-19-2020 05:20 PM

Thanks for the replies. Some good leads there.

Six volt 11-20-2020 11:26 AM

From Waldrons, when I ordered their exhaust for the ‘37 in 2016, they offered free shipping to the nearest Fastenal store. In my case that was about 20 miles from me, was a really good deal. You get a notification of the expected arrival day. The installation was pretty simple, nice system, nice people to do business with.

Joe Immler 11-20-2020 12:35 PM

I have had Red's Headers on my '41 for 28 years. Highly recommend.

flatford8 11-20-2020 01:23 PM

I think Waldron has been in business since the 1960’s.....they have a decent website to check out..... Mark

corvette8n 11-20-2020 06:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just got this email from Reds 10% off on headers thru 30th.

tubman 11-20-2020 07:47 PM

I see they have "Johnson Style" adjustable lifters.

That doesn't instill a lot of confidence in me.

Kube 11-21-2020 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 1954346)
I see they have "Johnson Style" adjustable lifters.

That doesn't instill a lot of confidence in me.

Yeah, good point. A place that knowingly (or should know) they are selling poopy does not instill much confidence in me either.

I did attempt to install a dual exhaust set from them (client supplied) on a '40 a few years ago. It took a lot of effort to get the left - front pipe to fit.
I recall clearly thinking that after a zillion sets of these have been made and sold, one would tend to believe they would get it right.
Not so.

Floyd 11-21-2020 07:24 PM

Red's is the only place I buy adjustable lifters from. Red and now Jim checks each and every one for hardness and thread torque. Unless you have real experience with problems with their lifters, then talking about them is just talking. My dual exhaust system for my 40 pickup fit perfect. As to thinking their exhaust system is going to be in the 1000 point concours field, maybe not so much.

51504bat 11-21-2020 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kube (Post 1954516)
Yeah, good point. A place that knowingly (or should know) they are selling poopy does not instill much confidence in me either.

I did attempt to install a dual exhaust set from them (client supplied) on a '40 a few years ago. It took a lot of effort to get the left - front pipe to fit.
I recall clearly thinking that after a zillion sets of these have been made and sold, one would tend to believe they would get it right.
Not so.

I bought all the internal parts to rebuild my 8ba except for the valve train (and I should have bought those also) from Reds. Quality parts and a great guy to deal with and he knows his stuff as well. At the same time a buddy bought a set of headers for his '30 AV8 with a F1 box. Fit perfectly. I can only speak from my experience but I would buy form Reds or recommend him in an instance. Again, JMO.

Kube 11-21-2020 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Floyd (Post 1954693)
Red's is the only place I buy adjustable lifters from. Red and now Jim checks each and every one for hardness and thread torque. Unless you have real experience with problems with their lifters, then talking about them is just talking. My dual exhaust system for my 40 pickup fit perfect. As to thinking their exhaust system is going to be in the 1000 point concours field, maybe not so much.

Yes, real world experience. I checked the Rockwell on the last set from them and five of the sixteen were dead soft. I hate to think of the guys that didn't check theirs prior to fitting.

And yes, another real world experience, the dual set I got from them fit like crap on the left side.

Thousand point dual exhaust / concours field is an oxymoron.

Floyd 11-22-2020 04:49 PM

Nothing in the sentence referenced about "1000 point concours" mentions dual exhaust. It states "exhaust systems". As a point of real world experience, I mentioned mine which was a dual exhaust system.

mrtexas 11-22-2020 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marko39 (Post 1953911)
Try Waldrons exhaust. I bought a single exhaust for my 39 and they have dual systems for most fords. It did cost 65.00 for the shipping but I don't think it would be much cheaper at local muff shop.

The 36 woodie single stainless exhaust Waldrons built for me didn't fit. I sent back the modified crossover pipe and they replaced it with a new one. Had to pay for the materials IIRC. The 41 woodie stainless exhaust they built for my 41 didn't fit either. I had to modify each pipe myself.

Good luck

Kube 11-22-2020 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Floyd (Post 1955059)
Nothing in the sentence referenced about "1000 point concours" mentions dual exhaust. It states "exhaust systems". As a point of real world experience, I mentioned mine which was a dual exhaust system.

Wow Floyd, methinks perhaps you need to read YOUR post over one more time. This time slowly and carefully.
I've copied and pasted it below to make it easier...

"My dual exhaust system for my 40 pickup fit perfect. As to thinking their exhaust system is going to be in the 1000 point concours field, maybe not so much."

HD 11-22-2020 07:37 PM

I recently orderd a complete stainless dual exhaust system with stainless mufflers from Waldrons for my 53 Convertable with a factory dual ex left manifold, fit like a glove, I have been buying from them for over 20 yrs. no problems