The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Model B engine and trans in Model A (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260792)

Mikko_ 03-23-2019 10:17 AM

Model B engine and trans in Model A

New here on this forum and to Model A's.
I'm 27 years old and live in Sweden. For the last 10 years I've been messing
around with european cars from the 70's and 80's but always had an interest in the pre-WW2 stuff.
So now that I finally have the finances and garage to make a dream come true I've been looking at Model A's.

I might be buying a 28 Phaeton in the next few weeks and the seller gave me the option to buy a Model B 4 banger and B trans with the car.

Been searching for pictures on how to mount the pedals if I decide to use the B trans but not finding anything.

Anyone have pictures of a B trans in a Model A?
I plan on using stock mechanical brakes.

Bob C 03-23-2019 10:39 AM

Re: Model B engine and trans in Model A

1 Attachment(s)
I think this is what you are looking for. https://modelastore.com/transmission...roduct_id=3655

Mikko_ 03-23-2019 12:19 PM

That is exactly what I'm looking for, thank you. :)

Jim Brierley 03-24-2019 10:52 AM

You will also have to fabricate a rear motor mount of some sort. Model A rear mounts and B mounts look the same but they are not. The original B, and all V8, rear mounts were on the rear of the trans.

Mikko_ 03-24-2019 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Brierley (Post 1739710)
You will also have to fabricate a rear motor mount of some sort. Model A rear mounts and B mounts look the same but they are not. The original B, and all V8, rear mounts were on the rear of the trans.

That's good to know. :)

Benson 03-24-2019 11:36 AM

From Modelastore.com description of KIT ...

Adapter Kit- To install 1932 transmission with B engine in the stock Model A. Kit includes pedal shaft assembly, clutch release shaft, parking brake handle bracket and radius ball mount. Must also use A-5089-B rear float a motor rear motor mounts. Steel. USA made!!!

Note: When ordering kit for 32 transmission call as Online catalog does not appear to have the A-5089B listed only the A-5089 kit.

Benson 03-24-2019 11:50 AM

You might have to fabricate a bracket for Early 28 Parking brake as it mounts In Front of the transmission tower as I remember or on left side of cab.

FYI: There are other parts that are unique to early 1928s ... depending upon the build date and are sometimes hard to find.

russcochiolo 03-25-2019 09:06 AM

The previous owner of my '31 roadster installed the B engine with a BB flywheel and B trans with '39 gears and shifter. He used Float-A-Motor engine mounts and ignored the rear mount at the transmission. No problems yet. Should I be concerned? I'm a novice.

russcochiolo 03-25-2019 09:07 AM

Shoulda said BB flywheel housing. A novice I am in more ways than one!

Bob C 03-25-2019 10:28 AM

What is a BB flywheel housing, don't see anything in the parts book.

Bob

Bob Bidonde 03-25-2019 10:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Model "B" Ford stock rear engine mount is suspended from the firewall.

Jim Brierley 03-25-2019 10:53 AM

Russ, should be fine. That is the easiest way to get the V8 trans & gears, many are in use with no problems. Clings sells the kit, uses the A bell housing, Clings adapter with pedal mount, etc. Model B's are entirely different, bell-housing, engine pan, pedals, etc. The AA or BB bell-housing is sometimes used with later-model transmissions, T-5, etc. If you are going to modify your A, you need my 4-banger book. [email protected] for info.

Bob C 03-25-2019 01:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The part on the B firewall is the engine stabilizer, the picture is the engine
rear support.

Bob

russcochiolo 03-25-2019 06:01 PM

Jim, I do have your second edition which I have read and re-read several times. Thanks. The block has a diamond and a '36 casting date and no numbers on the engine number plate. It appears to have Clings clutch, parking brake, and wishbone parts. When I went to get it registered, the CHP VIN verifier officer asked if there were any Ford numbers anywhere. I pointed out the BB numbers on top of the Bell Housing. Thankfully he accepted that and it cleared Sacramento. The roadster is now registered with BB and 7 numbers. Thank you for "...should be fine."

Jim Brierley 03-26-2019 11:17 AM

Russ, So you are running an A but registered as a BB? Sounds illegal to me! :-)

russcochiolo 03-27-2019 06:03 PM

Jim, the DMV and the CHP are happy........so am I.

stillwater 03-31-2019 12:43 AM

Vern Tardel sells a crossmember that fits in an A frame, to mount a B trans to.

He sells new ones, great quality for about the same price as old ones go for.

Don't remember his address/phone but if you want, message me and I'll look it up.

Mikko_ 04-01-2019 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stillwater (Post 1741985)
Vern Tardel sells a crossmember that fits in an A frame, to mount a B trans to.

He sells new ones, great quality for about the same price as old ones go for.

Don't remember his address/phone but if you want, message me and I'll look it up.

I think I've seen that on his website.:)