The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   emergency brake backing plate removal (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292794)

kwisor 01-10-2021 06:04 PM

emergency brake backing plate removal

hello
i am working on my rear brakes i need to get the e brake backing plate off to get to the brakes i have everting loose but the backing plate will not come off i do not want to bend it i do i get it loose with out doing damage to it this is on a 30 tudor
thank you
kevin

Bob C 01-10-2021 06:56 PM

Re: emergency brake backing plate removal

Did you pull the emergency brake lever arm off?

kwisor 01-10-2021 07:49 PM

hello Bob
yes i have everything off
thanks

Jack Shaft 01-10-2021 08:24 PM

Pull the grease shield

aermotor 01-11-2021 07:47 AM

It will come off with a lot of twisting and turning, you probably think it won't but it will if you are holding your mouth right. I assume post number 3 is correct and that the backing plate and the E brake arm is all that is left to remove.

John

sofield 01-11-2021 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwisor (Post 1972592)
hello
i am working on my rear brakes i need to get the e brake backing plate off to get to the brakes i have everting loose but the backing plate will not come off i do not want to bend it i do i get it loose with out doing damage to it this is on a 30 tudor
thank you
kevin

Did you remove the key in the keyway after you removed the emg arm?

Jack Shaft 01-11-2021 11:54 AM

If the rear radius rod is bent it can make it difficult to remove.. pull the rear backing plate bolts.

redmodelt 01-11-2021 01:16 PM

If you are just removing the parking brake carrier, would not matter if the radius rods are in the way. The key would stop it from coming out or is just stuck. Try tapping side to side and see it will come lose.

JBill 01-11-2021 02:52 PM

Is the emergency brake toggle lever completely out? Originally, there were no zerk fittings on the lever housing and that sucker is often corroded fast.

kwisor 01-11-2021 06:55 PM

hello all thanks for the replys
yes the e brake leaver and wedge are removed the e brake shoe is removed only thing left is to remove the e brake backing plate it will not budge

Bob C 01-11-2021 09:05 PM

How about posting a picture.

J Franklin 01-12-2021 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwisor (Post 1972953)
hello all thanks for the replys
yes the e brake leaver and wedge are removed the e brake shoe is removed only thing left is to remove the e brake backing plate it will not budge

How big is your hammer? Yes, a picture might help.

redmodelt 01-12-2021 02:15 AM

You will find it easiest to drop the radius rod to get the backing plate off. Are you sure you have the 4 bolts out? I still say give it a tap side to side or try a pry bar to see if you can pop it free.

JBill 01-12-2021 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBill (Post 1972873)
Is the emergency brake toggle lever completely out? Originally, there were no zerk fittings on the lever housing and that sucker is often corroded fast.

I'm not talking about the wedge. That's something else. I mean the housing for the toggle lever that activates the brake shoe and to which the rod is attached on the outside of the backing plate.

aermotor 01-13-2021 08:08 AM

I think we need a picture with this one or a Les Andrews drawing with his names for parts, I am not sure everyone is talking about the same thing. Les Andrews Vol. 1 Mechanics Handbook page 1-43. There have been parts referred to that don't exist on the rear brakes.

John

kwisor 01-13-2021 04:42 PM

hello
i will get a photo tonight when i get home from work. i do not see a grease seal. i have all for bolts out of backing plat. i am getting ready to drop radius arm. the e brake leaver on back of the plate is removed as well as the wedge key
thank you
kevin

kwisor 01-13-2021 06:08 PM

hello
I tried to upload photos but it will not let me
Kevin

J Franklin 01-13-2021 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwisor (Post 1973793)
hello
I tried to upload photos but it will not let me
Kevin

Try to resize the photos smaller. There is a size limit for posting. Check the attachment key below where you are asked to choose a file to upload.

kwisor 01-14-2021 08:25 AM

hello still can not get photos to upload it is called the e brake carrier i beleive
thank you

kwisor 01-14-2021 12:46 PM

got it off there was to much grease on it did not see the grease baffle when i removed it i was able to get it off
thanks for the help
kevin