The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Colors of original tool kit (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283777)

Werner 07-09-2020 07:27 AM

Colors of original tool kit

Hallo Freunde,

how was the look of the original tool kit that was delivered with the car from the factory? Black gloss / matt / silk? Or silver blank without coating?
And how was that packed? Wrapped in a flat / round fabric or leather bag?

Thanks in advance!

Mike Peters 07-09-2020 08:03 AM

Re: Colors of original tool kit

2 Attachment(s)
The Model A wrenches were packed in a flat pouch made from left over top material. Whatever might have been available at any given time during production. The left hand photo is an original tool pouch, brittle, dry, and 90 years old. The other photo is the text from the Judging Standards. Perhaps someone with computer skills can turn that photo right side up for reading? Thanks.

Kurt in NJ 07-09-2020 08:15 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I have original tool kit from later 30s in original pouch(not in pictures), look to have been dip painted in coal tar paint, not quite dry when put in pouch, somewhat stuck together,

The picture is of original pouch and collected from yard sales, the adjustable wrench is "new never used", dip painted gloss(paint drip on ends that would e low spot when hung), as individual parts, the adjusting screw and pin were not painted

Kurt in NJ 07-09-2020 08:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I found another never used original paint A tool, dip painted gloss with runs

Y-Blockhead 07-09-2020 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Peters (Post 1907396)
The Model A wrenches were packed in a flat pouch made from left over top material. Whatever might have been available at any given time during production. The left hand photo is an original tool pouch, brittle, dry, and 90 years old. The other photo is the text from the Judging Standards. Perhaps someone with computer skills can turn that photo right side up for reading? Thanks.

Flipped...

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...b8e51701_c.jpg

J Franklin 07-09-2020 12:53 PM

I had a ford bag in the same configuration in a dark carmine red color top type material that my dad had. I don't know if it was original or maybe an accessory.

Werner 07-09-2020 03:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you for the plenty of advices! In the meantime I have made the blank tools black glossy.

But I have one more question about the tool bags. Was the entire tool loosely placed there together? Or were individual compartments sewn inside for each tool?

J Franklin 07-09-2020 07:45 PM

Toss them in all together wrapped in a shop cloth to clean up after road repair.

Werner 08-21-2020 01:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hallo miteinander und guten Abend!

Does anyone have a directory that describes exactly which on-board tools were delivered from the factory with the A's in 1928?

ericr 08-21-2020 02:25 PM

I don't have photographic nor copying abilities here at home, can someone send Werner the little diagram from Area 17 (tools) of the Judging Standards which depict what came with the car. The only item missing in the diagram is the oil can which ceased in may '28.

California Travieso 08-21-2020 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Werner (Post 1922518)
Hallo miteinander und guten Abend!

Does anyone have a directory that describes exactly which on-board tools were delivered from the factory with the A's in 1928?

Werner,

In your picture, what are the two tools to the right and left of the “adjustable wrench” which is referred to as a “monkey wrench” in the U.S.?

David Serrano

Mike Peters 08-22-2020 06:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
In addition to what is in the photo, taken from the RGJS, there would also be included a crank and tire pump. As mentioned above, the oil can was discontinued in May 1928. There were several different jacks used during the four years of production.

Werner 08-22-2020 06:43 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Guten Morgen David.

You see an universal screwdriver that has various plug-in tools in the hollow wooden handle. Next to it is a small "Englaender" as we call these adjustable wrenches.

On the other side a leather quiver with glass fuses and a tire pressure gauge (from Eric!)