The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Steering column drop (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279637)

Chris Haynes 04-18-2020 01:51 PM

Steering column drop

What is the advantage of a steering column drop?

wmws 04-18-2020 02:58 PM

Re: Steering column drop

Do you mean the steering column support from the cowl. It is to take pressure off the gas tank.

Sunnybrook Farm 04-18-2020 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Haynes (Post 1876185)
What is the advantage of a steering column drop?

They used to have a spacer that would go into the bracket on the fuel tank and lower the column a couple inches, it was kind of a hot rod thing from what I heard. The idea was to lower everything and look cool doing it.

Chris Haynes 04-18-2020 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunnybrook Farm (Post 1876356)
They used to have a spacer that would go into the bracket on the fuel tank and lower the column a couple inches, it was kind of a hot rod thing from what I heard. The idea was to lower everything and look cool doing it.

I can't imagine moving the steering wheel lower and further back.

Bob C 04-18-2020 09:15 PM

They were used on the Victoria and De Luxe Phaeton.

Sunnybrook Farm 04-18-2020 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Haynes (Post 1876374)
I can't imagine moving the steering wheel lower and further back.

You move the seat and chop the top as well, think John Milner in American Graffiti. I have one of the spacers in an old tank and a hot rod guy was telling me what it was, I should have given it to him, maybe next time he comes over.

rotorwrench 04-19-2020 10:25 AM

Some cars had the support as part of the tank but later on in the 30s they attached it to the cowl. The fuel tank attachment can loosen, crack, and leak fuel so they decided to change it. Government agencies were pushing hard to eliminate fuel tanks from inside the car so the Model B finally made the change in 1932.

The term "drop" is used for nearly all of the steering column center supports and especially the ones with the ignition switch and steering lock until they were eliminated in 1949.

katy 04-19-2020 11:07 AM

Quote:

Model B finally made the change in 1932.
Back, around 1960 or so, I bought a '32 coupe, the gas tank was sitting in the trunk, held in place only by the fuel line. The car was from southern Ontario, which in them days, was notorious for using excessive amounts of salt on the roads. The straps holding the gas tank had rusted away and some PO had just moved the tank into the trunk. I had the coupe like that for about 4 months before I traded it off.

katy 04-19-2020 11:08 AM

Deleted, double post

Chris Haynes 04-19-2020 01:00 PM

Just to be clear this is the part I am talking about. Not the stock steering column mounting bracket. https://www.limeworksspeedshop.com/M...dmakit-134.htm

Bill Cilker 04-19-2020 07:28 PM

Chris
They were originally used on 180A deluxe Phaetons, 190A Victorias and 400A Convertible Sedans.

Sunnybrook Farm 04-19-2020 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Haynes (Post 1876651)
Just to be clear this is the part I am talking about. Not the stock steering column mounting bracket. https://www.limeworksspeedshop.com/M...dmakit-134.htm

That is the part that I am talking about as well. I didn't know I had one until the hot rod guy got excited about it.

rotorwrench 04-20-2020 09:03 AM

This stuff is more for modified cars that still use the model A fuel tank.

Hot rods generally use the F1 steering box and a later 30s or pre 1948 column jacket. They lower the column due to the positioning of the F1 Gemmer II steering box sector shaft being above the steering shaft center line which changes the angle of the steering wheel as compared to the original model A column. Drop it a bit more and use a bit smaller steering wheel and it fits more to some individuals liking.

Most folks remove the bottom portion of the fuel tank skin just leaving the cowl. This allows use of a 1932 style dash with a later column drop attached to the bottom edge of the dash. It's more work to relocate the gas tank so some opt for an easier solution.

Chris Haynes 04-20-2020 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rotorwrench (Post 1876902)
This stuff is more for modified cars that still use the model A fuel tank.

Hot rods generally use the F1 steering box and a later 30s or pre 1948 column jacket. They lower the column due to the positioning of the F1 Gemmer II steering box sector shaft being above the steering shaft center line which changes the angle of the steering wheel as compared to the original model A column. Drop it a bit more and use a bit smaller steering wheel and it fits more to some individuals liking.

Most folks remove the bottom portion of the fuel tank skin just leaving the cowl. This allows use of a 1932 style dash with a later column drop attached to the bottom edge of the dash. It's more work to relocate the gas tank so some opt for an easier solution.

I am using one of Randy Gross" F100 units. A bolt in for a Model A and uses the original column jacket. A Banjo wheel will be on top.

Jack Shaft 04-20-2020 07:24 PM

I have an F1 in mine,bolts right in..

Bob Bidonde 04-22-2020 10:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Use of the steering column spacer also requires the use of a special floor panels around the steering column and pedals. Lowering the steering accommodates lower seating positions in the 180A, the 190A and the 400A body styles.

As for the new steering column support (off the gas tank), I suspect there are two different lengths of it to accommodate all Model A's.