The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Hand throttle notches (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276964)

James G. 02-19-2020 09:14 PM

Hand throttle notches

My 31 Tudor has never been restored but well maintained. The body + interior parts are all original.
Problem - the notches on the hand throttle are pretty much worn flat.
What "make-do" repair can I do to make the control stay in one place while driving. I'd like to use it most when warming up the engine. But, maybe occasionally other times.
Is replacement the only possible solution? I really want to disassemble the steering assembly just to the the manual control working/staying in position.
All ideas greatly appreciated.
Jim G
[email protected] - if you want to chat about solutions.

whirnot 02-19-2020 10:06 PM

Re: Hand throttle notches

How badly is the rod worn. If it's just the plate. You can deepen the grooves with a three corner file. If the rod is worn as well, most are, then you are going to have to replace the rod and renew the plate.

1crosscut 02-19-2020 10:18 PM

Unhook the control rod at the firewall and then rotate the handle up so it goes past the plate it rubs against. Then gently push the handle forward to put just a bit more bend in it so it makes firmer contact against the plate.

Farrell In Vancouver 02-20-2020 12:36 PM

The throttle and advance handles are held under spring tension at the lower end of the steering column. If the springs have weakened, the tension can be lost and the handle has no down ward push on the notched plate. I guess one could replace the springs with new ones, or insert some washers cut like a horse shoe to shim the springs for a better tension.

5lugnuts 02-20-2020 12:37 PM

Will that work or break something? I have the same problem, but I have been reluctant to try bending the rod in place. Is this a common solution?

Sunnybrook Farm 02-20-2020 12:55 PM

It seems the 2 tooth column controls wore down more than the 7 tooth that I have encountered. They must have made them feel easier to move when new and with a little wear they are loose.

d.j. moordigian 02-20-2020 02:44 PM

IF you look at the back side of the rods where it touches the "V" notches,..they will be worn flat. That area is supposed to be round. Either weld up the originals and reshape
then replate...OR buy repops and hope they fit..

mike657894 02-20-2020 05:38 PM

get some needle files and recut the grooves. https://www.amazon.com/Hardened-Stre...582238368&s=hi

ericr 02-20-2020 06:04 PM

good topic, with no easy solutions. years ago I saw ads for services that would build up the bottom side with weld then replate it, but I have not seen that offered for a long time. I have read about fitment problems with the repros, as one member has said. As I recall the complaint was that the 90 degree bend was not defined enough

getting the lower springs on and off is challenging, as is replacing the anti-rattlers within the tube.

too bad the later columns did not use the replaceable quadrant that the earlier versions did.

whirnot 02-20-2020 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericr (Post 1854040)
good topic, with no easy solutions. years ago I saw ads for services that would build up the bottom side with weld then replate it, but I have not seen that offered for a long time. I have read about fitment problems with the repros, as one member has said. As I recall the complaint was that the 90 degree bend was not defined enough

getting the lower springs on and off is challenging, as is replacing the anti-rattlers within the tube.

too bad the later columns did not use the replaceable quadrant that the earlier versions did.

I replaced both of mine, last spring with new ones from Berts. They fit and work perfectly.

Jacksonlll 02-20-2020 08:18 PM

Keep in mind that they are spring loaded and can be pulled toward you to get some room to work with a file.

David R. 02-20-2020 09:16 PM

I had mine all apart. I built up the worn part on the underside of the spark and throttle rods with brass and filed them back to shape. I re-cut the quadrants with 3 corner file and reassembled with new springs.

Fullraceflathead 02-22-2020 05:13 PM

You can weld up the worn away area then carefully grind or file the raised edge to fit into the grooves.

30 Closed Cab PU 02-23-2020 01:02 PM

If the rod springs are weak and or the grooves are worn, any issues caused if a second plate is added to the top of the old current plate?