The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Im going to be buying some tubes and tires. good tubes? bad tubes? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271982)

mike657894 11-01-2019 08:54 AM

Im going to be buying some tubes and tires. good tubes? bad tubes?

I'm going to be getting some new tubes. I did some looking. Summit has coker tubes for 16. Macs has a $97 5 tube and band kit. Snyders has some for 18.50. If its the matter of $20 I would like to get the good ones. Right now Im thinking the coker is the only one advertising a brand name to the tube. The others are a bit of a mystery. Heres some links. What would you go with?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...iABEgJH1vD_BwE

https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_m...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/P.../model-a/tires

30 Closed Cab PU 11-01-2019 12:39 PM

Re: Im going to be buying some tubes and tires. good tubes? bad tubes?

1 Attachment(s)
I found and used Farm and Fleet implement tubes from Tractor Supply, think Farm and Fleet has them too. They are pretty thick/heavy. Only down side is I found that after I had tires mounted the valve stems are pretty long. It was too l ate to change, already mounted, I tell people I use them a as curb feelers:) There was quite a cost saving compared to Coker's. And as an FYI my wheels are 16s.

160B 11-01-2019 01:03 PM

5 Attachment(s)
In March of 2018 I was looking for tubes, I found one vendor’s tubes had the valve stem off center. I felt this would stress the tube and ended up getting tubes from Berts see the below photos.

Tubes with valve stem off center

Attachment 411380

Attachment 411381

Tubes with valve stem on center

fastroadster 11-01-2019 01:07 PM

Biggest problem I've had was tubes splitting on seams......

30 Closed Cab PU 11-01-2019 01:15 PM

The ones I used above were put on in 2012, 10,000 miles since, have not had problems. were put on without flaps or rim liners, inner rim spoke area was smooth no edges. Would probably put on rim liners next time to be safe. At the time did not know better and the tire place said I did not need them.

1931 flamingo 11-01-2019 02:37 PM

I believe SNYDER's has them made special. This has been discussed here before, do a search.
Paul in CT

WHN 11-01-2019 03:12 PM

We bought ours a number of years ago from Mac’s. Firestone tires, tubes, and tube guards. No problems, fingers crossed. Enjoy.

Synchro909 11-01-2019 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastroadster (Post 1816563)
Biggest problem I've had was tubes splitting on seams......

We often hear this comment but tubes have NO SEAMS. Just turn one inside out and look at the uniform surface - no seams. The marks you see on the outside of the tube are from joints in the mold.
Blind loyalty to a brand is a reciope for disaster IMO. Just because the tube has a brand name on it, doesn't mean it was made by that company. Very often these days, companies that used to make stuff are now no more than a distributor for someone else. Blind loyalty to a product made in a particular country is just as silly, again, IMO. The citizens of every country believe that their own country make quality items. They can't all be right.

eagle 11-01-2019 04:13 PM

I got Universal 21" tires from Coker and tubes from Mac's. This was a few years ago, no problems. Tires are wearing very well and look good too. I check the air pressure every spring. Cost me around $125 per tire including balancing with stick on weights. I imagine the price is higher now.

30 Closed Cab PU 11-01-2019 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro909 (Post 1816641)
We often hear this comment but tubes have NO SEAMS. Just turn one inside out and look at the uniform surface - no seams. The marks you see on the outside of the tube are from joints in the mold.
Blind loyalty to a brand is a reciope for disaster IMO. Just because the tube has a brand name on it, doesn't mean it was made by that company. Very often these days, companies that used to make stuff are now no more than a distributor for someone else. Blind loyalty to a product made in a particular country is just as silly, again, IMO. The citizens of every country believe that their own country make quality items. They can't all be right.

It is still interesting the splits then seem line up with the mold marks. Wonder why?

rocket1 11-02-2019 06:24 AM

All the inner tubes are imported,Brattons sells the best of the lot.

Jacksonlll 11-02-2019 01:17 PM

I have gotten a lot of tires from Universal. Last we’re Firestone.

rotorwrench 11-02-2019 04:53 PM

Those that purchased more than a year ago might find that the market has changed so folks should take that into consideration. I purchased tubes for a non- model A car, a tractor, & two motorcycles this year and I've found that some stuff comes from Vietnam or India then there is the Chicom stuff. All have been working OK so far but you just never know.

What I would recommend would be to purchase from a model T or A parts vendor that has a reputation for getting parts that will be known to them to work. Bratton's, Berts, & Snyder's generally follow this business practice. If you have doubts, call them and ask them. The good folks will tell you like it is. If things have changed, they will generally let a customer know about that too. Some folks still take care of their customers and won't sell crap that's mediocre. If they think it's mediocre they will tell you but sometimes that's all that is available.

Jeff/Illinois 11-02-2019 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU (Post 1816538)
I found and used Farm and Fleet implement tubes from Tractor Supply, think Farm and Fleet has them too. They are pretty thick/heavy. Only down side is I found that after I had tires mounted the valve stems are pretty long. It was too l ate to change, already mounted, I tell people I use them a as curb feelers:) There was quite a cost saving compared to Coker's. And as an FYI my wheels are 16s.

I have those tubes on the '36 Ford, 16 inch rims, and they almost never need air added to them. Maybe 2-3 pounds every other year at best. I like that:)

rotorwrench 11-03-2019 11:58 AM

I assume you need rubber for a 19 inch tire like your avatar. Tractors don't use that size. If they are 16 inch than they are later Ford V8 types but they will work with a 16-inch tube.

Coker had problems with tubes marked EEEC but they discontinued sales of those. Now they are listed as Hartford brand but I have no idea where they come from. Some of the vendors likely buy from Coker tire but I don't know for sure. Bert's states that his are made in China but he backs them. At least he is honest about it.

A lot also depends on what type of stem you want to use. the originals Schrader valve stems like the model A had, have to have a tube with a rubber stem that can be cut off for prep to install original stems. There are some with metal stems but a person has to be careful to get the right size stem to make them look original. The ones sold as metal stem to fit orginal type Schrader hardware even have the bridge washer but they are the expensive ones at around 39 to 50 bucks apiece depending on the vendor.