The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Model A prices...going which way? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270264)

ETAModel 10-01-2019 06:40 AM

Model A prices...going which way?

For you guys who have been in the hobby a while would you say the price on model A's in general have held, risen, or fallen over the past 20 years.

Do you think it is a Regional issue, do they bring more in certain parts of the USA than others ?

I'm asking because I'm looking at purchasing one for myself, instead of helping my friend with his, and just trying to get an idea of the market.

Thanks

Redbird 10-01-2019 06:46 AM

Re: Model A prices...going which way?

You buy it to ENJOY it. Cars are like real estate. They are only worth what one fool will pay for one!

chap52 10-01-2019 06:48 AM

You can find them in all price ranges. Just depends on how much work and $ you want to put into them.
They all come with a "mystery" and will cost you more than you originally expected. My wife once said, "take what you think it will cost, multiply by 2 and rejoice if you come in under budget."
Check the Swap Meet on this site for some examples. I've got a 30 Tudor on there that is a ready to drive car. Chap

johnbuckley 10-01-2019 06:54 AM

Over here in UK I reckon the prices have kept on par with inflation generally over the twenty years period. ( maybe marginally better), but that does exclude all the $$$£££ I've spent on maintaenance etc!... a lot more fun than money in the bank.:)

77Birdman 10-01-2019 06:55 AM

I have been looking at 'A' prices for the last several years. I think that they have been pretty steady for the last 5 or 6 (yrs) or so. I mostly follow hemmings so there really is no price diff. regionally. Maybe if you look local there will be.

WHN 10-01-2019 07:18 AM

I look at owning a Model A as a pleasure, a piece of antique art that I can sit and look at, work on, and drive. What more can I ask for? Oh! Our grandson loves to ride in the rumble seat.

We have owned our 29 for forty years. I would be lucky to get half of what I have invested into the car back if sold today. But, what would be the value of forty years of enjoyment.

If you want to make money on cars, open a used car lot. Enjoy.

ETAModel 10-01-2019 07:32 AM

I'm not trying to make money on a hobby, I have a job for that. What I'm asking is do you think prices of model A's have risen or fallen over the last 15-20 years, like i said at the beginning.

I have a 1956 tractor, and there was a big discussion on a tractor forum recently how lots of collectors want what they used or saw when they were in the teens-20's, and how the older equipment doesn't have the selling power they did in years past. There seems to be a trend toward older tractors to not bring as much as they did say 10-15 years ago, due to a smaller pool of collectors in that age range.

I'm wondering if the same phenom has affected the Model A crowd.

Again, thanks

GerryAllen 10-01-2019 07:41 AM

I think Model A's are holding their own however, I don't see them appreciating in the future. I got a spectacular driver, 1930 coupe, no rust, new engine new brakes a good looker for $9100.
I have owned it 20 months put 10000 miles on it and spent very little on it. My price per mile for parts etc is .30 cents per mile, it has not depreciated in the year and a half I have owned it.
Over all if you break even when selling it, I think you are the exception. My personal feeling is buy it to enjoy, DRIVE IT.
ETA #7 thread says it all about the smaller pool of buyers.
Gerry Birch Bay WA

Vonn 10-01-2019 07:47 AM

That's easy to answer. It's just like any of my cars, if I'm buying the prices are rising, if I'm selling the bottom is falling out of the market.

marty in Ohio 10-01-2019 07:53 AM

ETAModel,
I have owned the car in my avatar for 26 years. I bought it as a restored car from a new car dealership after the previous owner had a stroke and couldn't maintain the car any more. (He traded it in on a brand new Cadillac) It was restored 25 years before that. I paid $5,500 for it and haven't put a lot in it since. I feel that the prices have remained relatively stable in the past few years. I think people collect what they remember, and few remember Model A's. If my thinking holds true, then I should be driving that '68 Roadrunner that I had when I was 22 years old. If I had that car now it would probably be worth $75,000. As most have said, you can't own a Model A's to make money on it. Just drive it and enjoy it.
Marty

Mulletwagon 10-01-2019 07:55 AM

In general, prices are going up but there are frequent good deals available if you search nationally and are willing to travel to get your prize. The best advise is to look for a reasonable price on a driver that looks good. The highest risk is to get a barn find and hope to bring it up to driver status at low cost. The best deal for you is out there - just need to find it. Good Luck !

1928Mik 10-01-2019 08:08 AM

To answer your question, Yes, I think prices have risen over the past 15-20 years. Not a tremendous amount, but some. Cars prices have a way to stabilize. They rise, even out, sometimes drop, then rise some more. If they have fallen, it's not been by much.

JBill 10-01-2019 08:30 AM

When I sell mine, I'd be happy if I got just half of what I have in it! Sadly, vision problems tell me that day isn't far off.

alexiskai 10-01-2019 08:39 AM

Reasons it's hard to answer this question:

1. We only have a record of asking prices, not the price that clears the market. If you're tracking sales of stuff on eBay, or houses, or auctioned art, you know what the item actually sold for. Even for normal used cars, there are sales at dealers that get tracked by KBB and other industry analysts. These cars trade OTC.

2. Most buyers and sellers trade very infrequently, so they're not applying lessons learned from the last trade to the next one.

3. The markets are fragmented. Most trades are local or regional.

4. The cars are not commodities. Valuation varies based on the buyer's specific needs and the unique condition of the vehicle.

End result is that the clearing price on a given car might vary by $3000 in either direction depending on where it's for sale, what websites it's on, time of year, who's selling it, etc. Very difficult to identify market trends in that environment.

DannL 10-01-2019 08:49 AM

I've had my 1930 Tudor since July. I'm pretty sure that it's held its value better than any stock I've ever held in that same amount of time. So I'm happy. ;-)

Purdy Swoft 10-01-2019 10:00 AM

Prices seem to have remained fairly stable for the past twenty years in my opinion . I've never bought a model A with hopes of selling it for a higher price . I prefer to keep them . As for prices, it mostly depends on who is buying and who is selling .

oldman - NorCal 10-01-2019 11:07 AM

I feel that prices are generally lower driven by soft demand. Most Model A owners that hold membership in local clubs have multiple cars and if they decide to down-size are happy to sell to someone who intends to keep the car stock, appreciate it, and keep it on the road. Higher priced cars seem slow to sell and often end up going to a museum because owners can't get their price. I think anyone in the market for a good driving Model A is looking at a great buyers market and can be opportunistic and selective.... just my opinion.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 10-01-2019 11:13 AM

I purposely waited to read what others thoughts were. Now I'll add mine if that is acceptable.

I was an infant some 59 years ago when my father introduced me to the Model-A hobby. My father was one of the founding members of the Houston Model-A club during the mid-1960s, -so I have seen the trends for the better part of 5 decades now. Comparing Apples-to-Apples in each subsequent decade, the prices have increased. One other item that I have always grinned at is when folks say we need to get younger people involved. Ironically in life, young folks tend to grow old, and eventually those young people who are not interested in a Model-A get older and now there is a new attraction for them. It is called a Model-A.

What I have noticed during the past few decades is the quality of the car has dropped. My point is the quality of the Model-A that $10k would purchase two or three decades ago will no longer purchase an equal quality vehicle, ...even when that $10k is adjusted for inflation. My perception is that a large percentage of Model-As that are described as being 'restored' today are in worse mechanical and aesthetical condition than the average Model-A vehicle from 20+ years ago.

Part of this stems from the sources of good original parts, -or NOS parts are no longer available for repairs/restorations however I also feel that the availability of cheap reproduction parts has taken its toll on the hobby as a whole. It is my opinion we are now seeing the fruits of this. Even today when better quality reproduction parts and/or materials such as paints & substrates are available, vendors frequently tell me that price point generally outweighs quality when the order is placed and the dollar is spent.

So, to answer your question specifically based on what I see in the industry, there will always be a market for someone to Buy and Sell a Model-A. There will always be a premium on good quality merchandise. My advise is always purchase the best car available, -even if you cannot afford it. The prices are often directly related to bank CD rates and the economy (i.e.: stock market) because when bank rates are low, investors look for other items to 'invest in'. While a Model-A is typically not considered an investment, many people who had maturing CDs that were renewing at 0.5 % would look at purchasing a collector car as an alternative, ...especially when a $25k CD was paying an annual dividend of less than $70.00 a year. That Model-A brought more than $70 worth of enjoyment each year, and the fun of owning such a car was worth taking the risk. That meant there were more Model-A trying to be purchased so the purchase price arose. Now 'investors' are seeing great rates at the bank and a stock market that is flourishing, so the investor's money is being used on items other than collector car purchases. For someone in the market to purchase a Model-A today, the prices are more favorable. Hopefully this has also helped answer your questions.

1931 flamingo 10-01-2019 11:47 AM

The prices vary, look here on the Barn , MAFCA, Hemmings. If you're interested my friend, due to age and medical issues has his 1930 Sport Coupe (ck the swap section for ad) for sale, neeeds NOTHING, get in and go. $9900.
Paul in CT

37 Coupe 10-01-2019 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vonn (Post 1805120)
That's easy to answer. It's just like any of my cars, if I'm buying the prices are rising, if I'm selling the bottom is falling out of the market.

This is my story also.