The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Transmission Oil Cloudy (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175707)

Joe/Ct 08-13-2015 08:29 PM

Transmission Oil Cloudy

I just had the transmission rebuilt on my '28 roadster, and had 600W oil added. After driving for a few weeks, I checked the level. Upon removing the fill cap, the fluid ran out the fill hole and was cloudy/milky. Is this normal? If not, what does it indicate and what is the remedy? :confused:

BILL WILLIAMSON 08-13-2015 08:54 PM

Re: Transmission Oil Cloudy

Drain that dude & fill it with 140W, quality gear oil. WHY do we mess around with everybodys' WEIRD gear oil CONCOCTIONS? They're gettin' RICH off us, there are NO "MIRACLE" LUBRICANTS.---Just like making SOUP, if you put TOO MUCH CRAP in it, you SPOIL IT.
Bill W.

Mike V. Florida 08-13-2015 10:25 PM

Milky look is usually water in the lubricant. Drain it, refill it and see what it does.

WestCoast 08-14-2015 01:41 AM

Bill, your right use 140w, I cant believe these guys are still going by an 85 year old spec book, as others said, water in trans, maybe thru the vent hole, or thru the top shifter plate

Mike V. Florida 08-14-2015 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WestCoast (Post 1138711)
Bill, your right use 140w, I cant believe these guys are still going by an 85 year old spec book, as others said, water in trans, maybe thru the vent hole, or thru the top shifter plate

If using 85 year old parts, why not 85 year old specs?

BILL WILLIAMSON 08-14-2015 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida (Post 1138723)
If using 85 year old parts, why not 85 year old specs?

BUT, in 85 years, we've developed BETTER oils & lubricants & DON'T use VASELINE on your distributor cam, jist cuz Henry sed so!
VASELINE is for the BEDROOM!
Bill W.

Tom Wesenberg 08-14-2015 07:46 AM

But oil is millions of years old, and was refined in the past year, so I'll stick with the thick stuff originally recommended. It helps to slow the gears for better shifting. I've seen some of the dealer mixed oil that is almost black, like dirty oil. I don't know what's in it, but haven't heard of any problems related to it, but I'll keep buying the Mobil 636 from the local bulk oil dealer.

jimvette59 08-14-2015 07:54 AM

I have a question could the new oils be foaming and creating a problem ?
I also would like to know if the new 600 W be foaming . Does the Mobile 636 have a anti foaming agent like some race cars use ?

Gold Digger 08-14-2015 08:34 AM

It don't seem right about water or moisture mixing with 600W oil. 600W is what we use in the lubricators on steam engines and if it gets spilt or used for lubrication on an engine a steam cleaner want clean it off. It takes kerosene or gasoline to clean it off, water want cut it. It's designed to lub inside the cylinder with steam.

Mitch//pa 08-14-2015 09:18 AM

not getting involved in the what type of oil debate..
it sounds like you have water mixed with the trans oil which will cause it to get milky

ck the rear diff and see how that looks.... maybe the car was parked on a hill and it traveled into the trans

tuneman 08-14-2015 09:32 AM

Re: Transmission Oil Cloudy. Synthetic or regular

Just wondering, lol.

BILL WILLIAMSON 08-14-2015 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitch//pa (Post 1138843)
not getting involved in the what type of oil debate..
it sounds like you have water mixed with the trans oil which will cause it to get milky

ck the rear diff and see how that looks.... maybe the car was parked on a hill and it traveled into the trans

Seriously, in the old days, without electricity or battery chargers, folks would try to park backward, on a "hill", for a sure start. Mrs Bell rarely drove her '39 Plymouth, if it didn't start on her "hill", she'd coast out on the road, look PATHETIC, & wait for someone to come along & push her!
Bill W.

RobertB 08-14-2015 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON (Post 1138770)
BUT, in 85 years, we've developed BETTER oils & lubricants & DON'T use VASELINE on your distributor cam, jist cuz Henry sed so!
VASELINE is for the BEDROOM!
Bill W.

Yeah....I put it on the doorknob to keep the wife from waking me up...

modela4shane 08-14-2015 02:18 PM

Milky condition could also be the assembly lube or assembly grease used during the rebuild that is now mixing with the gear oil.

oliverguy 08-14-2015 02:39 PM

Good idea. Ask your mechanic if he used lubriplate or some other white assembly grease. Or drain it out and send it off to be anaylized. That will really tell you what's in it.

I like when someone just mentions some type of oil it throws some people into tantrum on this forum. If nobody wanted 600W any more, you wouldn't see it for sale at every antique car meet.

Patrick L. 08-14-2015 02:45 PM

Sounds like foam to me too. Maybe try a different brand of oil from 140 to 250 weight. There isn't that much difference in the two.