The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   NY Times on the demise of the automotive cult (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164865)

denis4x4 03-27-2015 09:54 AM

NY Times on the demise of the automotive cult

Ran across a story on the Silicon Valley execs that participated in racing sports cars as an alternative to golf when it comes to doing business outside of work. Within the story was this interesting paragraph:

Sociologists have recently begun to chart a diminution of American car culture. People in the United States are driving less than they used to, the rate of car ownership per household is declining, and young people are not as interested as they once were in getting driver’s licenses. There are many explanations, including the last recession, but one theory involves the rise of digital technology. A 2012 study by the United States Public Interest Research Group found a sharp decrease in the number of miles driven by people under 34; one of its key explanations was the fact that driving isn’t very conducive to goofing off on your phone. The tech industry now seems bent on attacking the car industry head-on, with Google, Uber, Tesla and reportedly even Apple each working on projects that could radically change the structure of the business.

Seth Swoboda 03-27-2015 10:32 AM

Re: NY Times on the demise of the automotive cult

That's why if my kids ever bring home a video game console it's going into my outdoor wood boiler. Then we go to the shop to restore an early Ford.

mhsprecher 03-27-2015 11:39 AM

Part of it is the fact that cars don't need to be fixed anymore, other than oil changes, tired and brakes. I got my start pumping gas and working in a real service station. My son, who is a millenial, likes working on cars, but he feels alone in his interest.

ericr 03-27-2015 11:51 AM

we often speculate here on the future of the Model "A" hobby, and what do you guys think that will be, if this article is accurate? My opinion, based on sheer intuition, is that the cars won't end up in museums nor seriously devalued in value, but that fewer collectors will end up owning more cars.

700rpm 03-27-2015 12:28 PM

It's hard to believe that driving is diminishing when traffic (at least in Portland) is worse than ever.

mhsprecher 03-27-2015 01:04 PM

As Yogi Berra said, "It's hard to make predictions, especially about the future."

Idaho Brett 03-27-2015 02:05 PM

It seems (to me) that the "Love Affair with the Automobile" is over for most of the public. Cars have become just another appliance for most people. Look at how they drive their cars as if they are "disposable" like most things produced today.

I bet most drivers don't even know how their cars (mechanically) work. All they know is how to turn the ignition switch, press the gas pedal and press the brake pedal with expectations for it to work every time.

Heck, I don't even think they offer "Auto Shop Class" in High Schools anymore. Evolution has become a sad thing.

ModelAMike1930 03-27-2015 02:34 PM

I don't tend to believe in these so called studies I think they are a bunch of hog wash. And as far as young people not interested in driving they should meet my Grandkids.. They all like cars and love my model A's

JBill 03-27-2015 02:56 PM

Yes, I know it's a good move for safety's sake, but still, it's hard for kids to fall in love with cars when they spend their first eight years or so strapped into a car seat, and the first two or three riding backwards!

Curly 03-27-2015 03:05 PM

When I was young we were very excited to turn 16 and get our drivers licenses. Kids now days often wait until they are 17 or 18. They dont have that same exitement about it driving.

Willie Krash 03-27-2015 03:20 PM

I belong to a MPO (Metropolitan Planning Organization), I'm part of the PAC (Public Advisory Committee). We make recommendations to the TAC, etc etc.
This is federal transportation planning. What we are finding out is that young people are moving away from automobiles in droves. The Federal Transportation fund is broke.

The rationales are manifold but I think the reality is most kids (working class) simply do not make enough money to justify an autos expense.
Insurance, fuel, repairs and the car itself. They are moving to public transportation etc, internet buying too. I know kids with degrees flipping burgers. We all had GM, Ford etc where we could work, their GM and Ford is Wendy's and Burger King.

mshmodela 03-27-2015 03:25 PM

One could envision folks with our cars say, 30 years from now needing to do this:

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Your-Own-Gasoline

Since all car might be Electric or Hydrogen.

RobertB 03-27-2015 03:54 PM

I can't say I like the idea, but 100 years from now there will probably be as many cars at the house as there are horses now. 100 years ago I expect no one could envision a world without horses.
:(

Jeff/Illinois 03-27-2015 05:50 PM

Plus kids today are 'taught' that automobiles, coal, nuclear power, etc. are evil things bad,,,, bad,,,,, they have a poor relationship with the sources of energy that made this country the great nation it is.

But the idiots that go around brain washing people into this mindset are perfectly fine with private jets to scoot them around, convoys of Chevy Tahoes at 11 MPG armed with body guards to protect them from us, the common guy,,,,,,, nobody questions those things.

ronn 03-27-2015 07:03 PM

As Yogi Berra said, "It's hard to make predictions, especially about the future."

Niels Bohr-1924

todd3131 03-27-2015 08:12 PM

Every thing they say is true I mentor a first robotics team and those kids are the motor heads of today they do amazing things that we couldn't even dream of but the one thing they have in common is a lack of interest in cars they see them as purely transportation but the few that are like late model sports cars and European cars. My son that is in Chicago until last week hadn't been behind the wheel in over three years and his social group is just as disinterested . what this all means for the auto motive hobbie as a whole remains to be seen.

mrtexas 03-27-2015 08:23 PM

Dream on! Article must have been written by someone living in NYC or other megopolis. Don't need a car there. Everywhere else you do. Going to walk to the grocery store in LA or any suburb?

mrtexas 03-27-2015 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curly (Post 1058276)
When I was young we were very excited to turn 16 and get our drivers licenses. Kids now days often wait until they are 17 or 18. They dont have that same exitement about it driving.

Tell that to my 14 year old daughter!

ian Simpson 03-27-2015 09:29 PM

Why is it a bad thing if cars are no longer number 1 for the up coming generations? I do not remember my grandfathers being overly concerned that I did not like riding horses. Let the kids move on, but do not stop doing your thing.

Ian

Tom Wesenberg 03-27-2015 10:29 PM

The way things are going camels will be our next mode of transportation.:eek: