The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Length Limit for Priority Mail Shipping (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292057)

Chuck Kuntz 12-26-2020 08:28 AM

Length Limit for Priority Mail Shipping

Is there a length limit for shipping items by priority mail. There is no limit stated on their site just a maximum total limit of 108 inches.

51 MERC-CT 12-26-2020 08:52 AM

Re: Length Limit for Priority Mail Shipping

Take the package to the post office and let them decide.

Kube 12-26-2020 09:12 AM

108" maximum total. Length + twice the width + twice the height.

Maximum length is 70".

So L + 2w + 2h must be less than or equal to 108"

Jacques1960 12-26-2020 09:54 AM

All I know is that there is NO delivery time limit - everything we shipped “priority” pre-Christmas remains undelivered. Caveat Emptor.

1931 flamingo 12-26-2020 09:56 AM

My son and his wife still waiting for Christmas package mailed DEC 8TH ! ! And my card to them mailed about the 15th.
Paul in CT

Krylon32 12-26-2020 10:04 AM

I shipped a dropped 32 axle to Canada priority mail. The box was 52X10X8 which was right up there in size. Took 2 months to get there. I guess I was lucky as all 3 priority boxes we shipped to our kids got there.

Kube 12-26-2020 10:17 AM

Gosh, five responding posts thus far and only one that actually addressed the question. Typical I suppose...
Kind of odd in that I also am a member of two other forums. One, an Aston-Martin site, the other a Porsche site. I can't recall a single post by a fellow member that was off topic on either of them.
Makes me wonder why that is....

It is my belief that all forums are there to help each other. Methinks that help is denigrated when these threads get off topic so often.

54vicky 12-26-2020 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kube (Post 1966858)
Gosh, five responding posts thus far and only one that actually addressed the question. Typical I suppose...
Kind of odd in that I also am a member of two other forums. One, an Aston-Martin site, the other a Porsche site. I can't recall a single post by a fellow member that was off topic on either of them.

It is my belief that all forums are there to help each other. Methinks that help is denigrated when these threads get off topic so often.

that holds true on several (make that all) I am on has gone on before -19 so that is not to blame.now I did same

Kube 12-26-2020 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54vicky (Post 1966880)
that holds true on several (make that all) I am on has gone on before -19 so that is not to blame.now I did same

Well, not all... as I'd stated previously, the Aston and Porsche forums I frequent have nearly zero off topic posts.
I just wonder why that is.

estout81 12-26-2020 12:42 PM

You belong to a higher IQ group.

McMimmcs 12-26-2020 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kube (Post 1966858)

Your sites are a rarity. I belong to six sites and they all go off track. You know what ? I am glad they do because I learn more and don’t suffer from tunnel vision.

deuce_roadster 12-27-2020 12:30 PM

Good info regarding USPS measurements. All the carriers seem to use a similar way. The "dimensional weight" idea really sucks. When I complained about being charged for a box that a new seat spring came in, for 58 lbs, and I weighed it and it weighed 12, they (UPS) said that size box can hold up to 58 lbs.

OT
I used to belong to the PCA back in the 1980s, (I drove a new turbo literally off the showroom floor) At that time most of the questions were about what kind of wax was best, so 1 year of that was enough for me. My "sports car phase" didn't last much over 6 years. I am more of a "hands on wrenches" type. One nice perc though was "track day" when we could run the cars on the local road race course outside of Seattle.

Epper1 12-27-2020 01:22 PM

Super slow now

cas3 12-27-2020 01:47 PM

in general, after 17" prices start to climb rapidly. sorry, not much help

fortyonerag 12-29-2020 06:25 AM

Part of the delay comes from less passenger flights. Less flights to uplift parcels, more via other means (surface).

UPS and Fedex aren't so affected as they run their own airfreight.

fortyonerag 12-29-2020 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deuce_roadster (Post 1967198)
Good info regarding USPS measurements. All the carriers seem to use a similar way. The "dimensional weight" idea really sucks. When I complained about being charged for a box that a new seat spring came in, for 58 lbs, and I weighed it and it weighed 12, they (UPS) said that size box can hold up to 58 lbs.

It's not about the weight it could have carried, but the space it takes up.

In Australia, bulky items are assessed to have a notional density of 250kg/cubic metre. Similar processes in the US.

If you are not happy with the assessment, try lodging at another post office. Practices do vary.

Always assume your parcel will be thrown a few yards, so pack well. This goes even more for large items as they protrude from the load and attract damage.

Even if staff at the lodgement point accept the article, understand they have virtually no idea what will happen to it on the processing floor.

bob from red oak 12-29-2020 07:19 AM

I thought the size of the content was determined by the box/package furnished by the USPS. As for delivery time they always tell me three days. That could be because i have only shipped small packages via priority.

Tim Ayers 12-29-2020 07:19 AM

I would suggest checking their site. They have a lot of products that you need to ask for, but may not see at the walk up counter.

Planojc 12-29-2020 10:45 AM

Kube, I think we tend to drift off subject here because most of us are old.