The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   B water pump heads (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152388)

Tod 10-18-2014 06:50 AM

B water pump heads

In the "Head molds" thread one person expressed a need for an iron head with a B pump end with 6:1 compression. Anyone else interested in B style? I would like to see at least 30 people interested before I start cutting the pattern. The top is already modeled up and I have a 6:1 chamber. I would need to model the core plug and then make them.

$400.00

Email me.

Tod

MikeK 10-18-2014 09:21 AM

Re: B water pump heads

Why 6:1 ? You (Snyder's) already have an 6:1 A head that can be used on a B.

The B engine has larger bearings, semi-pressure oil and an auto advance dizzy. The street CR sweet spot for later 40's-60's flatheads is in the 7-8 range. Something like a 7.6:1 with a Ricardo style chamber and clearance for 1.75 intakes with .400 valve lift would fill a now vacant niche for the B's. Chambers would need to be ~ 120cc.

Looking backward, It could also be used on an A with the B pump, leaving a more 'stock Ford' look than some of the higher CR aftermarket A heads.

Charlie Stephens 10-18-2014 01:30 PM

Will your head pass for original on a restored Model B? You might also want to place this in the Early V8 section that covers 1932.

Charlie Stephens

Tod 10-18-2014 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeK (Post 964447)
Why 6:1 ? You (Snyder's) already have an 6:1 A head that can be used on a B.

The B engine has larger bearings, semi-pressure oil and an auto advance dizzy. The street CR sweet spot for later 40's-60's flatheads is in the 7-8 range. Something like a 7.6:1 with a Ricardo style chamber and clearance for 1.75 intakes with .400 valve lift would fill a now vacant niche for the B's. Chambers would need to be ~ 120cc.

Looking backward, It could also be used on an A with the B pump, leaving a more 'stock Ford' look than some of the higher CR aftermarket A heads.

I was answering one person who asked for 6:1. Since the chamber is already cut there is no extra work at that point. I can take it up to 7:1 by using the Thomas style chamber and a core corresponding to it.

Tod

Tod 10-18-2014 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens (Post 964600)
Will your head pass for original on a restored Model B? You might also want to place this in the Early V8 section that covers 1932.

Charlie Stephens

I certainly can make it to do so. The technology at my disposal is very flexible.

Tod

colin1928 10-18-2014 06:26 PM

Tod while I Play with a few Model B engines my 1st thought is you may sell a few but not many (production run ???)
almost all the performance heads in the past were A model water pump design including accessories such as Cragar water pumps and V8 to A model pumps ect
A Model water pumps are easier to find and much lower cost just check the cost difference and many of the parts houses do not carry B pumps

Colin

Duffy1 10-18-2014 10:58 PM

I want one .

hardtimes 10-19-2014 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin1928 (Post 964757)
Tod while I Play with a few Model B engines my 1st thought is you may sell a few but not many (production run ???)
almost all the performance heads in the past were A model water pump design including accessories such as Cragar water pumps and V8 to A model pumps ect
A Model water pumps are easier to find and much lower cost just check the cost difference and many of the parts houses do not carry B pumps

Colin

Hey Colin,
This is exactly what my thoughts were. I just have a hard time thinking that 30 B guys are going to step up to buy. This, of course , would be more for stock restorer guys..but with more c/r built into head. B pumps are , for some reason, scarcer and more costly than any A pump I've seen. For Tod, it is all about if it is feasible ..$/investment wise. I hope 30 guys step up. Maybe someone familiar with HAMB can give that forum a heads up also ?

colin1928 10-19-2014 02:18 AM

I for myself really want Tod to be successful because I want to buy good quality new performance heads at a good price
I do not want Tod making heads that are slow to sell and having money tied up for years
how many must be sold to break even ??
That may mean losing him to another section of the market
I know this just me being very selfish
Colin

Purdy Swoft 10-19-2014 09:18 AM

I don't have a model B but I can see where some that do and want to keep the original look would be glad to get the extra power of a 6;1 head. Another thing, If a person has a model B they will more than likely already have the three bolt model B pump. If a person really needs one, new B pumps are available.

Tod 10-19-2014 12:07 PM

When I said I'd like to see 30 commitments to get things going I was padding things a little, to be honest. I had originally typed '25' but upped it to 30. If I can get even 20, I think I can make it work. Looks like 2 so far, so, if we get to 20 I'll do it.

Tod

Rowdy 10-19-2014 12:11 PM

Possibly post on the HAMB also to see if any extra interest there. I will ask a friend locally to see if he is interested in one also. I think it is a great idea. If I still had my B engine I would be in for one. Rod

Purdy Swoft 10-19-2014 12:48 PM

Actually the Model B water pump is a big improvement and doesn't over pump as badly as the model A pump. Another advantage is the B pump and fan can usually be removed without moving the radiator. The water neck is part of the pump so the problem of breaking water necks is no longer an issue. For speedsters and hot rods The B style head and pump would be the better way to go, especially if a variety of combustion chamber choices are possible. Just my thoughts.

Tod 10-19-2014 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft (Post 965145)
Actually the Model B water pump is a big improvement and doesn't over pump as badly as the model A pump. Another advantage is the B pump and fan can usually be removed without moving the radiator. The water neck is part of the pump so the problem of breaking water necks is no longer an issue. For speedsters and hot rods The B style head and pump would be the better way to go, especially if a variety of combustion chamber choices are possible. Just my thoughts.

The combustion chambers in my mold system are interchangeable inserts. I can make a variety of combinations once things get going. As of now, I have 3 A heads tops and 3 chambers. The dual plug is completely cut, the Winfield is mostly finished except for the core plug, the 6:1 top is cut and Snyder has a core box I can use for it (cutting him in on the sales, of course), and that leaves me to cut the chamber insert (1 day). That leaves me to do the Weiand style (2 chamber inserts), a B style (with whatever chambers may need added), a revamped "Thomas" version, and whatever else crops up.

Tod

modelAsteve 10-19-2014 06:47 PM

I know you have parts are almost done but, have you looked a the head off a Briggs & Stratton? Different shape and they seem to make more hp/cu-in than a Model A.

Charlie Stephens 10-19-2014 06:59 PM

Tod,

Are the heads going to be cast iron or aluminum?

Charlie Stephens

MikeK 10-19-2014 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by modelAsteve (Post 965315)
I know you have parts are almost done but, have you looked a the head off a Briggs & Stratton? Different shape and they seem to make more hp/cu-in than a Model A.

B & S uses a Ricardo style head.
http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225...vQdWmwwG0w.jpg

Tod 10-20-2014 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens (Post 965320)
Tod,

Charlie Stephens

Yes. :D

Tod

Charlie Stephens 10-20-2014 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
Tod,

Charlie Stephens
Yes.

Tod
Tod,

Yes, what? I probably should have asked, "What are the heads going to be made of?"

Charlie Stephens

CarlG 10-20-2014 10:15 AM

Come on Charlie, he answered "yes" to both.