The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   6v driving lights (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284504)

bdtutton 07-24-2020 01:48 PM

6v driving lights

Hello,
The days are starting to get shorter here in Michigan and it won’t be long and I’ll be doing a lot more night driving and trying to avoid deer. I have a 6 V system and I’ve converted my existing headlights to LED and they work very nicely, but I would like to see further down the country roads that I have to drive at night and I’m planning to add some driving lights.
I see several options for 6 V fog lights but I am looking for a driving light that will project the light far down the road. Are some of these lights only called fog lights and are they actually driving lights? Has anybody added these to their car? I like LED lights but I have an alternator so halogen lights would be fine too.

Any recommendations?

wmws 07-24-2020 02:21 PM

Re: 6v driving lights

I think fog lights project the beam down so you don't get the glare in your eyes. If you angled them up that may work, I really don't know. LEDs usually scatter the light a good bit so maybe halogens are your best bet.

katy 07-24-2020 08:00 PM

Back in 1967 one of my brothers bought a new Ford. It had the 4 headlight system (Remember them?). He replaced the high beam units with spotlight units, Boy, did that light up the road ahead.

Pete 07-24-2020 08:32 PM

There may be some but you would have to do some creative research with bulb companies.
There are many 12v versions available.
I use landing light bulbs. With them on, you shouldn't get too close to flamable surfaces or walk in front of them.

1931 flamingo 07-25-2020 12:57 PM

Go online to Ray's . I believe he may have 6V CLEAR bulb fog/driving lights. FWIW
Paul in CT

springerpete 07-25-2020 05:29 PM

Perhaps you need to realize that getting lights on your Model A that are similar to the lights you are used to on your daily driver is a real stretch. Juist a thought. Bill

Ray in La Mesa 07-26-2020 12:32 PM

I have an S & M Lamp co. oval driving light on my pickup with a halogen 6 volt bulb. The pattern it throws is low & wide and is considerably longer than the stock headlights. It's actually better than the headlights.

1928Mik 07-26-2020 03:06 PM

6v driving lights are a good idea. I'm gonna try to look some up!

katy & Pete: Back in college a friend of mine had a Plymouth GTX with the 4 headlights. His Dad was an aircraft pilot and he replaced the high beams with landing lights. Very effective!

Pete 07-26-2020 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1928Mik (Post 1913337)
katy & Pete: Back in college a friend of mine had a Plymouth GTX with the 4 headlights. His Dad was an aircraft pilot and he replaced the high beams with landing lights. Very effective!

I found out about them from some guys I was night rally racing with.