The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   help with modern valve guides (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38999)

ksousa 06-06-2011 08:57 PM

help with modern valve guides

I hate to be so naive, but I'm naive.

Stock '29 RPU with original drive line. We had one stuck valve and one that was broken.
I bought a new modern valve set from Mike's Affordable or Snyders (can't remember which one).

The one piece valve guides have a little step on one end where the OD is a little bit smaller than the rest of the OD.

1) Does the end with the smaller step go towards the top or the bottom?
2) Do I install these from the bottom and push them up, or from the top and push them down?
3) And how do I know when they're all the way "in"?

thanks in advance.

Mike V. Florida 06-06-2011 10:57 PM

Re: help with modern valve guides

Bottom up, the spring holds it in place.

frank55a 06-07-2011 08:54 AM

1) Does the end with the smaller step go towards the top or the bottom? BOTTOM

2) Do I install these from the bottom and push them up, or from the top and push them down? Top and push them down. You should have a special mandrel so you do not mushroom the top. When installed you may need to ream the guide.

3) And how do I know when they're all the way "in"? The top of the guide should be flush with the block.

Jim Brierley 06-07-2011 01:52 PM

Frank has it right, exactly! They should be a press (hammer) fit. If not, knurl the guide, loc-tite will not always hold them in place.

tomii 05-02-2020 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frank55a (Post 220205)
1) Does the end with the smaller step go towards the top or the bottom? BOTTOM

2) Do I install these from the bottom and push them up, or from the top and push them down? Top and push them down. You should have a special mandrel so you do not mushroom the top. When installed you may need to ream the guide.

3) And how do I know when they're all the way "in"? The top of the guide should be flush with the block.

Reviving an old thread - this is the exact problem I've been trying to find (lord, google is your friend *and* enemy!)

SO from the head side, drive them in, small ID first, until the top (larger OD) end is flush with the bottom of the valve cavity?

Jim Brierley 05-03-2020 12:00 PM

Use a driver to press or hammer them in. A driver is merely a punch with a long stem that fits inside the guide, is square on the face that does the driving. I leave them slightly above the bottom of the port, as stock guides do.

Dave in MN 05-03-2020 12:29 PM

Comment removed.

Brian T 05-03-2020 02:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The OP has the modern valve kit, Snyders A 6505 M, which have the one piece guides, they push in from the bottom and the spring holds them in place, if you use the hammer in guides then you would need a spacer added to keep the valve spring at the correct length.