The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Progressive linkage vs straight linkage on a 2x2 manifold (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212039)

Bursonaw 01-03-2017 09:40 PM

Progressive linkage vs straight linkage on a 2x2 manifold

I am planning to upgrade my flathead and run dual Holly 94's on a slingshot manifold. My motor is pretty much stock with some high compression heads and a set of headers. Eventually I plan to upgrade the cam but for now am starting with the intake manifold. My question is when setting up the manifold, are there any thoughts on running progressive or straight linkage?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2017...533ce995ea.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2017...a96e425509.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2017...9ebabe8db7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ken/Alabama 01-03-2017 10:09 PM

Re: Progressive linkage vs straight linkage on a 2x2 manifold

With two carbs you need straight linkage and make sure carbs are synchronized.

uncle max 01-03-2017 10:29 PM

That slingshot manifold is one of the very few dual carb rigs where all the mixture goes down the same hole. You will be just fine with progressive or direct linkage. If it were me, I think I'd try progressive and see how it feels.

scicala 01-04-2017 12:46 AM

I agree. Progressive linkage may give you better throttle response and possibly better fuel economy, depending on you're driving style.

Sal

flatjack9 01-04-2017 10:54 AM

It would be just like a 4 barrel with mechanically operated secondaries.

Kahuna 01-04-2017 11:25 AM

Yep
Progressive

funrunr 01-04-2017 12:36 PM

I have a slingshot as well and used straight linkage. It works good, however, I like the response you received and curious to try progressive as well.
On a side not, you will notice one of the manifold mounting bolts on the left side does not allow a hex head bolt. I used an allen head on mine. Just a heads up. Please let us know which way you decide and how you like it.

Bursonaw 01-04-2017 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funrunr (Post 1409032)
I have a slingshot as well and used straight linkage. It works good, however, I like the response you received and curious to try progressive as well.
On a side not, you will notice one of the manifold mounting bolts on the left side does not allow a hex head bolt. I used an allen head on mine. Just a heads up. Please let us know which way you decide and how you like it.

Thanks for all the replies. I will keep you posted. I'm leaning towards trying both as for a nominal investment I can convert to a progressive linkage.

Bursonaw 01-04-2017 08:29 PM

With progressive linkage brings up another question. Does the secondary carb need any modification in this application? In my tri-power setup the outer carbs are modified with no mixture control and heavier butterflies to avoid leaking fuel caused by engine vacuum.

Bursonaw 01-04-2017 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bursonaw (Post 1409262)
With progressive linkage brings up another question. Does the secondary carb need any modification in this application? In my tri-power setup the outer carbs are modified with no mixture control and heavier butterflies to avoid leaking fuel caused by engine vacuum.

I think I answered my own question. Here is a write up I found about The Holley 94 Secondary carb.

CARB BASE-HOLLEY 94 Secondary Base Assembly-w/Spring This is what you need to make your outside carbs work right. This base our new alum base reamed and fitted with a new throttle shaft-- and fitted with our new 12 degree throttle plates that give you a great seal with no sticking in the bores.Throttle plates are lapped to bore. This base is an exact reproduction of the original early holley 94-2100 base. These bases are used on the outside carbs on a 3x2 setup and on the outside carbs on a six deuce setup when running progressive linkage. They can also be used in any other location where you dont need or want an idle circuit such as the secondary carb on a dual setup running progressive linkage. These bases dont have any idle circuits And come with our new torsion return springs and carb arms. These eliminate the need for any throttle return springs and work much better. Due to the 12 degree plates --you dont need any throttle stop screws or hardware on your carb.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2017...6980d0d505.jpg

Bored&Stroked 01-04-2017 09:10 PM

Would be fun to try both setups . . . why the heck not! You'll probably need to buy a 3x2 progressive linkage and only use one "side" of it. Can't say that I've ever done it -but worth a try.

Can't see much of an issue with having idle mixture screws in both - you can still tune the idle . . . with one, with both, doesn't really matter. Once you get "off idle", then the main jets will come into play.

In my mind, the engine will only need a certain amount of air/fuel to go a certain speed - so can't really imagine that a progressive linkage setup has much to gain. As these carbs have really small throttle plates - don't think there is any real performance issue with having BOTH of them coming in at the same rate. BUT - will be interesting to see what happens in your "real world" testing.

alanwoodieman 01-04-2017 10:55 PM

the two 94's will have to jetted down from the stock jets, no matter how you configure them. on the new strombergs we went from the stock 45 to 35 and syncronized them, worked out great

Alaska Jim 01-05-2017 12:23 AM

Bursonaw, who makes that carb base? just curious.

Bursonaw 01-05-2017 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alaska Jim (Post 1409362)
Bursonaw, who makes that carb base? just curious.

The cab base I found at Vintage Speed. http://vintagespeed.com/

I think that speedway might have them as well.

LOWRIDER 01-05-2017 06:57 AM

I used a couple of those carb bases on my yblock w/tripower. I worked forever trying to make 70yr carb bases seal at idle without success. Installing those fixed my vacuum leak at idle. Well worth the $$$.

scooder 01-05-2017 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanwoodieman (Post 1409325)
the two 94's will have to jetted down from the stock jets, no matter how you configure them. on the new strombergs we went from the stock 45 to 35 and syncronized them, worked out great

Two 94's on his setup, I'd start with stock jets and play from there. Probably need the power valves playing with, 5.5 or such. May find all's well with stock jets and power valves.

45 down to 35!!!! Damn! That's a massive difference! you certainly wouldn't need that massive drop in numbers for 94's
Martin.

Bored&Stroked 01-05-2017 08:58 AM

Me - would throw a straight linkage on it, sync the carbs with a UniSyn, jet them to match the engine and it's fuel needs and drive it . . . you'll probably not improve on that in my mind. :)

D

Tony, NY 01-05-2017 11:42 AM

You may find those air cleaners to be restricting.

chap52 01-05-2017 12:04 PM

I run dual 94's with straight linkage. My engine is stock with mild Howard cam. As mentioned"Unisync" them. I was advised by "CharlieNY" to block off the PV"S and am very satisfied with the set-up.

scooder 01-05-2017 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chap52 (Post 1409537)
I run dual 94's with straight linkage. My engine is stock with mild Howard cam. As mentioned"Unisync" them. I was advised by "CharlieNY" to block off the PV"S and am very satisfied with the set-up.

What size main jets you got in there?
Martin.