The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Generator Tach Drive (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=331261)

SoCalCoupe 09-24-2023 12:08 AM

Generator Tach Drive

Can't leave well enough alone. Newest acquisition project is a generator tach drive. I have a '41 flathead which means the fan is mounted on the crank leaving no room for a crank mounted tach drive.

Not interested in an electrical tach, going for period correct.

I've seen some pictures but those have all mounted on the rear of the generator. I have no room there either with two carbs on a hi-rise manifold.

Can anyone refer me to a tach drive setup that mounts on the front of the generator? Don't even know if it exists.

This isn't the first time my 6V Ford internet searches have landed me on SteinerTractor.com. Anything there easily modified for a flathead?

aussie merc 09-24-2023 01:10 AM

Re: Generator Tach Drive

just a thought is a 90deg drive available that would solve your clearance issues

Bored&Stroked 09-24-2023 08:21 AM

Have never seen one, but that doesn't stop you from creating one. I would also research the drive ratio of the pulleys and whether or not you can get a 90 degree drive that will accurately create the right RPMs for whatever tach you're thinking of using. Mounting off the crank is obviously generating a different ratio than hooking up a tack to the smaller driven generator pulley.

Tim Ayers 09-25-2023 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked (Post 2257633)
Have never seen one, but that doesn't stop you from creating one. I would also research the drive ratio of the pulleys and whether or not you can get a 90 degree drive that will accurately create the right RPMs for whatever tach you're thinking of using. Mounting off the crank is obviously generating a different ratio than hooking up a tack to the smaller driven generator pulley.

The gen driven ones are rarer than the crank driven ones. I'm not trying to scare you, but I've only ever seen one for sale and it was close to $2K. If you find one, make sure it's complete. I believe it's two clamps that go on the generator, an end cap with a female receiver that is threaded for the cable housing.

Ken/Alabama 09-25-2023 06:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Ayers (Post 2258027)
The gen driven ones are rarer than the crank driven ones. I'm not trying to scare you, but I've only ever seen one for sale and it was close to $2K. If you find one, make sure it's complete. I believe it's two clamps that go on the generator, an end cap with a female receiver that is threaded for the cable housing.

Here’s a photo of the generator mounted tach drive.

Newc 09-25-2023 07:23 PM

I've had them on fire trucks ect. for the pump controls. Very common on farm tractors and enpliments- stationary engines. they are out there, check with farm construction repair shops-old time electric repair shops. Massey/fergason used them. Newc

petehoovie 09-25-2023 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken/Alabama (Post 2258075)
Hear a photo of the generator mounted tach drive.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...3&d=1695684080

SoCalCoupe 09-25-2023 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Ayers (Post 2258027)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken/Alabama (Post 2258075)
Hear a photo of the generator mounted tach drive.

Thanks for the info gentlemen. Saw one on a post about a survivor hot rod barn find a few months ago. Can't remember whether it was here or H.A.M.B. Thought is was so cool. Love to have it for my car.

The car is never done. There's always one more thing to spend your money on.

My car is a '41 Ford Special Business Coupe so there's a VERY short ceiling on what the car would ever be worth but it's fun to take what you have make it what you really want it to be.

It's already so far beyond original that that's not a big factor. It's not a survivor and the interior is nice but incorrect.

BlueNotes 09-26-2023 01:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's another type of a generator mounted tach drive that I saw on an amazing '32 hot rod roadster this summer.

petehoovie 09-26-2023 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueNotes (Post 2258157)
Here's another type of a generator mounted tach drive that I saw on an amazing '32 hot rod roadster this summer.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...8&d=1695707961

Newc 09-26-2023 11:33 AM

Massey/ Fergason generators have a tack drive off the Rear of the generator. Newc

Tim Ayers 09-26-2023 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newc (Post 2258249)
Massey/ Fergason generators have a tack drive off the Rear of the generator. Newc

That makes the most sense to me. Otherwise, on an old Ford with the generator in the stock position, the drive cable would have to make quite a loop or you'll need to use a 90 degree elbow to reduce it. Driven off the back would be ideal.

BUBBAS IGNITION 10-01-2023 10:28 AM

WORKS ONLY ON TRACTORS ! The tach had different labels on the face like 1sr gear, 2nd gear and third gear ...........and even then it was a guess as to how acurate it was .
I spent some time to make one up for a customer and we just never got it right ????

cadillac512 10-01-2023 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueNotes (Post 2258157)

That's some mechanical coolness right there!

itslow 10-02-2023 11:52 AM

It's not any more gear ratio dependent than a standard tachometer drive.

The RPM is going to be the same regardless of whether its driven off the front or rear of the generator, which will be some ratio of the crankshaft RPM based on the pulley diameters.

In the end it's all just math. Getting the proper reduction in the adapter will be probably the most tricky part of a generator driven tachometer.

swedishsteel 10-02-2023 12:33 PM

I have a 630 Case tractor that has tach drive on back of generator. Don't know if the tractor ones were brand specific or if Delco and others made them.